Blu-Ray 3D Dilemma.... Need some advice. - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 1 Old 01-27-2013, 06:00 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hi All,
So, ultimately I am trying to decide between getting a new video card for my tower, or getting a blu-ray burner to burn 3D iso files that I have for playback in the Movie Room....

I have my main work computer in an adjacent room to my home theater and one plan would be to play movies out tower>avr>projector. The machine I have definitely has the horsepower, it's just that the video card I have in it is a little older. I would like to keep my current dual monitor setup using the video card I already have, and then be able to route my video output to my projector via a second card. Can I use two video cards and only run the 3D through the compliant card when I need it? Or, can I get a card that I can run (dvi/vga) for my dual setup, and then run the HDMI out for video? I have looked and looked and only gotten more confused about current cards that will allow for pass-through 3D. In my web searches I have only found info on stuff that is 1 year or more old, or based on stuff needed for outputting the latest 3D gaming graphics, which I have no interest in. Or, every spec just says "HDMI" and doesn't delineate whether it is 1.3 or 1.4.... I am just looking for an affordable card that will push the 3D signal on to the projector for processing....

PROs and Cons of this plan... The "wife factor". If this is not "easy", then this will be a huge waste. Having to switch cables, mount ISOs or deal with the occasional reboot/ hiccup will be a no go on this for sure. Also, 3D Blu-Rays are big! Yes, storage is getting cheaper by the day, but 20 +/- 3D movies per terabyte is kind of expensive...

Which leads me to my next option. Buy a Blu-Ray Burner and burn them all to disc so that it is just as simple as dropping it into my standalone player and watching a movie. Easy for the wife, they don't take up space on my hard drive, I don't have to buy/route new cables and they are ready to go at a moments notice. But, a burner is going to set me back at least $50-$60 bucks, and then the discs themselves are not cheap either. Has anyone even had any success burning 3D ISO files to Blu-Ray? Is there a burner out there that is the best? most cost effective? What discs are you using to get it right? My fear is that I get a burner and then start producing $5 coasters regularly and quickly exceed how much it would cost to get a new video card and maybe another dedicated drive for movies.

So, here is what I am asking. Do I go the video card route? Or do I go the burned disc route? Any good recommendations on a card that will work with my system? Or, do I just say screw it and build yet another HTPC ( I already have another one upstairs for daily TV watching that is a pre-3D setup) but I don't really think having 5 computers in a house for 2 people is really necessary. Also, I am just cheap and am trying to be cost effective with this....

Once again, any and all advice is greatly appreciated. I would have been lost without this site and the countless people who helped me figure out my HT in the first place. You guys ROCK! Let me know if any of this doesn't make sense. Thanks!

Here are my specs:
OS
MS Windows 7 64-bit SP1
CPU
AMD Phenom II X6 1090T
Thuban 45nm Technology
RAM
12.0GB Dual-Channel DDR3 @ 669MHz (9-9-9-24)
Motherboard
Gigabyte Technology Co., Ltd. GA-890FXA-UD5 (Socket M2)
Graphics
768MB GeForce 8800 GTX (EVGA)

AVR is a Sony 7.1 3D ready with HDMI 1.4

Projector is an Epson 3010
Reply Home Theater Computers

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page