Simple cheap DVD player from old Dell PC? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 4 Old 01-27-2013, 05:27 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
My parents gave me their old Dell PC because they got an all in one. It's probably about 5-6 years old with no HDMI output, 4 USB ports, and a CD ROM/DVD drive. I set it up in the family room as something to use to get on the web and for my daughter to play with. Its not too far from my new Vizio 60" Razor, so I thought it might be good to use it as a DVD player. The Vizio has VGA input. What I'd like to be able to do is have the PC connected to the TV for DVD use, but still have the regular PC monitor connected as well for when it's being used for web surfing, etc... I've seen various video splitters for use in business commercial settings for when you want to have a display in front of you as well as a larger display like a projector or a large monitor. Is this what I would need?

http://www.walmart.com/ip/15819332?wmlspartner=wlpa&adid=22222222227000675835&wl0=&wl1=g&wl2=&wl3=13692013870&wl4=&wl5=pla&veh=sem

For sound I thought I would just set up the computer speakers/subwoofer underneath the TV and extend the input jack so that the sound would just come from there whenever a DVD was played. My last question is the remote. I know you can get remotes for WMC but this computer is running XP and will play DVDs either through a program called "Power DVD" or Windows Media Player. Are there remotes that I can get that will work with either of those?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 Old 01-28-2013, 10:51 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Really? A DVD player can be had for $29.99 including a remote control!

OK.. I'd suggest opening the PC and looking for its video slot - at 6 years old it may only have AGP which would not be very helpful. If it's PCI-e you could buy a $20 video card (HD4550, HD5450, HD6450) which would have HDMI, VGA and DVI and work nicely between the local monitor and the Vizio. As far as a remote, buy a MCE remote from the egg - they're routinely on sale for under $20
post #3 of 4 Old 01-28-2013, 11:11 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 87 Post(s)
Liked: 205
The very easiest solution is a new video card as stated above. If you have a PCI slot I think you should be able to find something at least on ebay that will allow you to connect two monitors at once and play DVD.

Just figure out what kind of slot(s) you have available and what size they are. OEMs like Dell sometimes use goofy proprietary form factors and case designs that make upgrading difficult.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Integration for whole home ATSC, CableCARD, FM radio, Blu-Ray, HD-DVD, DVD, VHS control & capture, video games, and archived & streaming media playback

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Restore the initial MLL on a 2009 Panasonic plasma
post #4 of 4 Old 01-28-2013, 01:39 PM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew Hornfeck View Post

Really? A DVD player can be had for $29.99 including a remote control!

I know, I know...I just hate to see it sitting there doing nothing biggrin.gif
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew Hornfeck View Post

OK.. I'd suggest opening the PC and looking for its video slot - at 6 years old it may only have AGP which would not be very helpful. If it's PCI-e you could buy a $20 video card (HD4550, HD5450, HD6450) which would have HDMI, VGA and DVI and work nicely between the local monitor and the Vizio. As far as a remote, buy a MCE remote from the egg - they're routinely on sale for under $20

Thanks!
Reply Home Theater Computers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page