TV Tuner Card Recommendation? (Satellite and/or DVBT) - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 11 Old 01-28-2013, 02:04 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I am looking for a TV tuner card for my HTPC build. We have a satellite dish and DVBT; ideally the card supports both in case I move to a house where no satellite dish but only DVBT is available. I want to use it for watching and recording TV using MediaPortal and XBMC.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 Old 01-28-2013, 04:58 AM

I haven't found other DVB-T/-S combi cards than this:

BGT3600 Premium (and single tuner BGT3630)
http://shop.blackgold.tv/epages/BT3159.sf/en_GB/?ObjectPath=/Shops/BT3159/Categories/%22Retail%20Products%22/PCIe_Tuner_Products

no delivery time mentioned at the moment at BG website?
post #3 of 11 Old 01-28-2013, 05:43 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 51 Post(s)
Liked: 589
Tuner cards

-

"Too much is almost enough. Anything in life worth doing is worth overdoing. Moderation is for cowards."
post #4 of 11 Old 01-28-2013, 06:31 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 26
no satellite cards: you'll need a capture card. Don't know about DVBT, but I don't think you'll find much if any.
post #5 of 11 Old 01-28-2013, 02:48 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovekeiiy View Post

no satellite cards: you'll need a capture card. Don't know about DVBT, but I don't think you'll find much if any.
Do you mind to elaborate? I don't understand why you think it might be impossible to find.

I found the following cards:

Hauppauge WinTV HVR Series
TBS DVB-S2 Series
Asus My Cinema Series

Any experience with one of these products?
post #6 of 11 Old 01-29-2013, 02:13 AM
Advanced Member

No experience with it. We don't have DVBT in the US, The closest we have is ATSC for our over the air broadcasts.

I was thinking properly (more tired than I realized) when I read your post. I was thinking of services like DishTV and DirectlTV which would be like SkyTV. I don't know about SkyTV, but Dish and Direct don't support any tuner cards, and you have to use HD capture cards. Thus, I can see what my statement made little, to any sense. My apologies. Although, the HD capture card could still be a solution.

I'm not sure about a dual solution for you. What satellite TV service to you subscribe. Obviously you're across the pond, and I've only heard of SkyTV for the UK.. It may help get you better recommendations.

My personal thoughts, although not cheaper, but more robust, why not use two different cards. Obviously I don't know your HTPC and availible slots. It's possible you might be able use a tuner card for your satellite TV. I assumed you had SkyTV, but I couldn't find anything on their site, other than SkyTV Go, which is internet based. For DVBT, you have a lot of choices. I found that silicondust has an HDHomerun for if it, the HDHR3EU which also does DVBC and the HDHR3DT which is the DVBT for the UK.

On a side note. on the main page for the HDHR3DT, they have a note at the bottom the page,
Quote:
Originally Posted by Siicondus.comt 
* IPTV and satellite providers use proprietary systems that are not compatible with DVB-T tuners.
thus, there may not be a satellite solution.
post #7 of 11 Old 01-29-2013, 04:05 AM

Liked: 12
I am in the UK and have been using a TBS 6981 dual DVB-S2 card with complete success for UK Freesat. The card has two tuners so needs two feeds from the Sat dish to receive programs of which four are in HD. You can get about 300 channels but most are rubbish so I stick to the mainstream ones. Alternatively you can buy a Freeview card which uses a terrestrial signal plus associated aerial and gives you almost the same mix of channels. The Blackgold 3600 has both DVB-S2 and DVB-T2 (you need S2 and T2 versions to get HDTV) tuners on board but is very hard to find and seems to have had a lot of problems if you check the Blackgold Forums. I gave up waiting for one and bought a TBS!

Personally I would fit a £85 TBS 6981 DVB-S2 for Freesat for now and then add a £85 TBS 6280 DVB-T2 Freeview card later if you need to although it would probably be cheaper to put up a £20 satellite dish on your new home. Be careful when you order because TBS also offer cards with a single tuner which means you cannot record one channel whilst watching another. They also do four tuner versions if you are a complete TV nut.
post #8 of 11 Old 01-31-2013, 02:34 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovekeiiy View Post

What satellite TV service to you subscribe. Obviously you're across the pond, and I've only heard of SkyTV for the UK.. It may help get you better recommendations.
Yeh, I should have made that clear (and tbh I wasn't up-to-date regarding the TV infrastructure here, I just came back home after living in Asia for four years):
I am in Germany and according to what I read on another forum last night, there is now DVB-T, DVB-C, and DVB-S. DVB-T (terrestrial) can be received almost anywhere with a small antenna (small antennas for a room, integrated in USB sticks, etc.). DVB-C (cable) uses the existing cable system. DVB-S (satellite) uses the satellite dishes that were before used to receive TV and Radio programs from Astra and other satellites. I was asking for DVBT and Satellite coz I only knew/heard about DVBT before but our house has this satellite dish to receive TV. So what I'm actually looking for is a tuner card that can receive DVBT, DVBS, and DVBC. (If all three are not possible, than at least DVBT+DVBS or DVBT+DVBC).
Quote:
Originally Posted by Heuer View Post

The card has two tuners so needs two feeds from the Sat dish to receive programs of which four are in HD.
Is that just two cables from the satellite, or is there more hardware needed such as an external receiver? I saw the term "LNB" quite often; what does it mean?
post #9 of 11 Old 01-31-2013, 04:04 AM

Liked: 12
The LNB is the pointy thing sticking out in front of the dish and is usually supplied with it; it is the receiver. They come in different versions - single, dual or quad LNB - meaning you can receive one, two or four programs simultaneously. So all you need is the required number of cables from the dish LNB to your viewing room. You plug these into your TBS/Hauppage.Blackgold/whatever tuner card in the HTPC and after a bit of turning by Windows Media Centre you are good to go. No other equipment required.
post #10 of 11 Old 02-01-2013, 06:02 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks for the explanation!

Do you know of any tuner card that supports DVB-T, DVB-S, and DVB-C? In case of tuner cards supporting DVB-T, do they come with a small antenna?
post #11 of 11 Old 02-01-2013, 10:28 AM
Advanced Member

don't forget, it may not be the cheapest to support all the formats, but you can use more than card or include a HDHomerun in the mix.
Reply Home Theater Computers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page