How to change framerate in MPC - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 16 Old 01-29-2013, 06:24 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Dear experts

Can anyone tell a rookie like me how to manually change the framerate in MPC, so it always run at 25fps?
I have tried differend plugins, but so far no "how to"-guide has helped me, and when I turn on "Statistics" in MPC it shows a variable fps when I playback mkv-files...

I'm quite a noob at this since many threads on the web hasn't helped me yet.

Many regards from Morten
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 Old 01-29-2013, 08:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by massai View Post

Dear experts

Can anyone tell a rookie like me how to manually change the framerate in MPC, so it always run at 25fps?
I have tried differend plugins, but so far no "how to"-guide has helped me, and when I turn on "Statistics" in MPC it shows a variable fps when I playback mkv-files...

I'm quite a noob at this since many threads on the web hasn't helped me yet.

Many regards from Morten

If you follow the Advanced MPC Setup guide posted here as a sticky you can set frame-rate using MadVR. I was never able to get it working through MPC-HC itself, but maybe that was just me.

Anyway, with MadVR, startup your video, right click and go to the MadVR settings. In the devices select your monitor, and then under Display modes you can enter your resolutions. The format is "1080p25". You can add as many as you like, ie: "1080p25,1080p30,1080p60,720p25..."
post #3 of 16 Old 01-30-2013, 02:42 AM - Thread Starter

Many thanks for your reply...
I have followed your advice, but when I adjust the Display modes to 720p24, and restart MPC the framerate is still 30fps according to MPC's "statisics". What can I be doing wrong?

I have searched the Advanced MPC setup guide and can't find anything about how to do the frame-rate switching proberly...
post #4 of 16 Old 01-30-2013, 04:03 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked: 75
Is there a reason you want 25fps - set your desktop to 50Hz and switch off refresh rate (frame rate) switching - all your files will then be played at 50fps (2 x 25fps). No need to change anything else.
post #5 of 16 Old 01-30-2013, 04:13 AM - Thread Starter

@Steelman: I have stuttering-problems, when I playback mkv-files on my flatscreen via. HDMI (as approached in several other threads), and I'm trying to fix it by changing the framerate in MPC, but so far I haven't succesfully done that. How do you switch off "Framerate switching" in MPC so all files are played at 25 fps? (sorry if I sound too rookie) :-)
If MPC playback files at 25 fps, shouldn't I then be able to see it in MPC's "Statistics"?
post #6 of 16 Old 01-30-2013, 04:32 AM

Liked: 12
Maybe of no relevance but have you checked the resolution setting of the Windows desktop? For some reason mine changed to 23Hz and caused no end of stuttering problems. Once I reset it to 50Hz everything went back to perfect..
post #7 of 16 Old 01-30-2013, 04:59 AM
Advanced Member

So you want to change frame rates to match the video. That wasn't quite obvious from your original post. I think we have to establish firstly what renderer you are using for playback - are you using mpc-hc internal filters or madVR. Whichever one you are using will dictate where we go next to try and resolve the issue.

If your using mpc-hc (evr, or evr sync) the framerate is changed using

View\Options\Playback\Fullscreen - it is set to off as default, therefore to switch on, you have to check 'use autochange fullscreen monitor mode' - note it will only work in fullscreen, not windowed mode. You will also have to set the change rate for each refresh rate, using the drop down options in the table (these will be activated when you choose 'use autochange fullscreen monitor mode' - see picture below

If however you are using madVR as renderer, you don't need to make any changes to mpc-hc, rather when playing a video right-click, choose Filters\madVR\Edit Settings, then under display choose display modes - it is here that you set refresh rate changes as per rschak's post.

Hope this helps
post #8 of 16 Old 01-30-2013, 05:19 AM - Thread Starter

@Steelman: Thank you very much. I use MadVr, but I still don't see the changes in "statistics" in MPC. Do I have to use full screen for the changes to work? If so, how can I then check the actual framerate?
Or have I got it all wrong and it is the monitor/graphic cards refresh-rate that changes when I apply the display modes? If so, how can I check that it actualle works?
post #9 of 16 Old 01-30-2013, 05:45 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

@Steelman: Thank you very much. I use MadVr, but I still don't see the changes in "statistics" in MPC. Do I have to use full screen for the changes to work? If so, how can I then check the actual framerate?
Or have I got it all wrong and it is the monitor/graphic cards refresh-rate that changes when I apply the display modes? If so, how can I check that it actualle works?

If you are using madVR - in fullscreen press control-j during playback to see stats.
post #10 of 16 Old 01-30-2013, 06:47 AM - Thread Starter

Thank you again Steelman. I owe you a beer already!! :-)
I have entered 720p24 in MadVR settings, but nowhere is the 24 hz/fps mensioned in the stats...
When in full-screen the stats says:

Display: 59,892 Hz (thouconstantly changing)
Composition rate: 60 Hz (the refresh-rate of my screen)
Movie 59,940 fps
1 frame drop every 20.34 seconds

Should the display say 24 fps?
post #11 of 16 Old 01-30-2013, 06:57 AM
Advanced Member

If everything has been set-up correctly it certainly should

post #12 of 16 Old 01-30-2013, 11:57 PM - Thread Starter

I guess I have to try and start all over with the settings then... Thanks anyway!! :-)
post #13 of 16 Old 01-31-2013, 01:11 AM
Advanced Member

Steady massai - before you start again, I've just had another look at your stats from post #10. Given that the framerate of the file paying is 59.94, then the stats you are seeing are correct. They would only change to 24 if the framerate of the file playing is 24fps - in your example this is not the case. Play a file you know to be 24fps and then check the stats.
post #14 of 16 Old 01-31-2013, 10:37 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked: 27
Send a message via Yahoo to JDLIVE
A comment, then a question or two.

When I read 'frame rate" I think of the media, the video file. i.e. a Blu-Ray movie is 24 fps. This can only be changed be re-encoding the file to some other frame rate. For playback, you want the *refresh rate* to match, or be a multiple of the frame rate. I assume you're trying to change the refresh rate here? You said you changed to 720p/24, does your display support this setting? If the flatscreen doesn't support 24p as a refresh rate, there's nothing you can do. As a test, you may want to make the changes via your video card driver before trying to get them automatically via MPC-HC.
post #15 of 16 Old 02-01-2013, 07:01 AM - Thread Starter

Perhaps i got mixed up in FPS and refreshrate. But if I movie is encoded in 23,976 fps and the screens refresh-rate can only be set to 23 hz and 24 hz, isn't there a smalle problem then with the diviation?
@JDlive: Thanks for overview :-)
@Steelman: I will try that next week. Thanks again!! :-)
post #16 of 16 Old 02-01-2013, 10:16 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked: 27
Send a message via Yahoo to JDLIVE
Quote:

Perhaps i got mixed up in FPS and refreshrate. But if I movie is encoded in 23,976 fps and the screens refresh-rate can only be set to 23 hz and 24 hz, isn't there a smalle problem then with the diviation?

Depends on the display, if you do have problems then you can use Reclock. Or try a custom refresh to try and get as close as possible to have them match.
Reply Home Theater Computers