Can i pass through video through the my home theatre/ receiver ?? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

Old 01-29-2013, 06:30 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hi , i have a cable set top box which only has composite (yellow) video out.

My tv takes in only RGB (red green blue component inputs) , so i cannot connect the set top box to the tv.

My home theatre system has video in (composite yellow plug) at the front and has RGB video out at the back.

So i want it to go like this :

Composite (yellow) video out from the Set top box >> Composite video in of the HT >> Component video out of the HT >> Component video in of the TV.

Will this work....????

Thanks!

P.S - Please don't ask me if my tv has composite inputs - it does but it doesnt work for me smile.gif
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-29-2013, 07:31 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 12
It depends on your receiver. Some receivers will allow transcoding of video, some don't. Although I must say, I have seen receivers transcode from HDMI to Component but I have never seen anyone trying to go from composite to component. Why don't you just try it and see if works.
Old 01-29-2013, 09:16 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 36
AVR make/model?
Old 01-29-2013, 09:20 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 123 Post(s)
Liked: 190
Is this in the right sub-forum?

Old 01-29-2013, 09:27 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 59
Maybe try here? I'm not sure what this has to do with HTPCs either.
Old 01-31-2013, 11:19 AM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Sorry guys for posting it in the wrong sub-forum. Didnt realize how i got it here.

@zagor, thank you for your input. The reason i cant try it is because my HT is not working, its a 5 yr old sony ghz8d and it goes to protection mode everytime i turn it on ( the power indicator keeps flashing) so i thaught i will give it for repair if the video pass through feature will work, or else the HT is of no use to me.

Can you suggest of any other reciever/HT system (new/used) under $150 that will allow video pass through from composite to component ??
Old 01-31-2013, 01:18 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 12
Well if you gonna get a new receiver would it make more sense to go from HDMI to component? I know you said that the cable box only has composite video output but doesn't seem to make sense. Any modern cable box should have HDMI output. It is much better to go from HDMI to component that way you can actually view HD channels the same cannot be said for composite since it can only carry SD signal.

Anyway, I am not sure if you can find a receiver/HT with the transcoding feature for under $150. This feature is usually found on more expensive recievers. If you must go from composite to component you might need to look for an older receiver (before HDMI) days. The Sony STR-DE998 will transcode from composite to component but I don't know where you can find one since it is outdated (maybe you can try ebay).