recommended sound settings - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 2 Old 01-30-2013, 04:17 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Hi

I wanted to ask about recommended sound settings for HTPC. To start, this not via AVR but direct connection of HTPC to TV via HDMI.

---windows 'sound' settings - what to turn on/off. Assassin has some posts on enabling loudness equalization and other options in the sound control panel

---codec settings - recently installed shark codec (as I am fiddling around trying to get FF/RW working on mkv) - options for using LAV audio (or not) and other settings here around normalization of sound

---TV settings - what should change from default? I have a panasonic 50ST50 and right now have not tinkered with audio settings.

I should say what has me looking into this is the poor audio quality from the TV. On MKV I have to turn up volume to over 50% to hear it (trying to fix tonight via assassin's sound settings).

Also thinking about getting a soundbar to see if that helps versus TV speakers.

thanks for the help!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 2 Old 01-31-2013, 09:22 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Quote:
---windows 'sound' settings - what to turn on/off. Assassin has some posts on enabling loudness equalization and other options in the sound control panel

If you want the purest sound, turn all enhancements off.
Quote:
---codec settings - recently installed shark codec (as I am fiddling around trying to get FF/RW working on mkv) - options for using LAV audio (or not) and other settings here around normalization of sound

Same thing as above. As long as the codec pack is properly downmixing the audio to 2-channel, that's all you need.
Quote:
---TV settings - what should change from default? I have a panasonic 50ST50 and right now have not tinkered with audio settings.

Not much you can do here. The speakers in the tv probably cost the manufacturer less than 50 cents, so you aren't going to get great sound out of them at all.
Quote:
I should say what has me looking into this is the poor audio quality from the TV. On MKV I have to turn up volume to over 50% to hear it (trying to fix tonight via assassin's sound settings).

That's because the movies you are watching were mixed to be sent through a receiver and amped.
Reply Home Theater Computers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page