Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 104 Old 01-30-2013, 06:41 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 54 Post(s)
Liked: 62
http://www.arcsoft.com/totalmedia-theatre/overview.html

Aside from a Metro interface for Win8 users, doesn't seem different from TMT5. Also, Cinavia was enabled in build 5.3.1.172 pf TMT5; so Cinavia will be in all builds of TMT6 and onward. Just figured I'd post this for those who want the latest smile.gif

I actually use TMT3 for movie library/folder rip playback (more stable/reliable) and use TMT5 for physical disc playback (for Redbox/Netflix rentals) all from within Media Center. I'll be upgrading to 6 for the latter usage scenario to avoid any DRM conflicts on newer discs that might pop up.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 104 Old 01-31-2013, 08:21 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 66 Post(s)
Liked: 59
I simply wonder why anyone would be paying $100 for cinavia, region code lock, HDCP, AACS, ... just name it... with all the freaking sweet XBMCs, MPC-HCs et al + MKV all over the place...

3D?...

I have 23 3D BRs, and can count on my finger tips the number of times I actually watched a 3D movie from begining to the end...
post #3 of 104 Old 01-31-2013, 09:22 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

A reason for using TMT6 is to watch a BR on my computer that I rent from Redbox/Netflix. I don't have the time to rip every disc that comes into my house. Sometimes I want to just pop it in, play it, return it. Gotta keep up with the latest software to prevent DRM issues for that.

For playback an older version (pre Cinavia) is my choice because of BDMV folder playback from the WMC movie library, native BR soft sub support, and it's a lot easier to just install TMT than install and configure extra codecs and/or a third party player that you then have to configure to launch from the movie library.
post #4 of 104 Old 01-31-2013, 09:28 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Until someone comes up with a free player than handles menus (real ones, not speedmenus), then there will always be a place for players like TMT. It does suck that they had to add Cinavia into it, which is why I'll stay on 146 for the foreseeable future. I would have stayed on TMT3 actually, but there is a bug in it where your MCE remote may not work with Win7x64.

I never use anything like BD-Live and I decrypt everything with AnyDVD HD, so hopefully 146 will work for me until someone figures out how to defeat Cinavia.

I have considered making a Win8 HTPC, but for best effect that would require TMT6 and Cinavia. Too bad no one has figured out how to crack TMT and remove that damn thing.
post #5 of 104 Old 01-31-2013, 09:49 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ncarty97 View Post

I would have stayed on TMT3 actually, but there is a bug in it where your MCE remote may not work with Win7x64.

Really? It's been rock solid for me. It's my player of choice for movie library/folder playback as TMT5 freezes and locks up %50 of the time launching from the movie library frown.gif
post #6 of 104 Old 01-31-2013, 09:59 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Sadly, despite being a big supporter of Arcsoft and TMT for several years, I will not be buying TMT6 due to its Cinavia "infection". I know Arcsoft had no choice, but this has killed commercial bluray players for me.
post #7 of 104 Old 01-31-2013, 10:49 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by staknhalo View Post

Really? It's been rock solid for me. It's my player of choice for movie library/folder playback as TMT5 freezes and locks up %50 of the time launching from the movie library frown.gif

It worked fine as a standalone (IE open TMT3 from the desktop and then open a movie), but when launched from Media Center, the remote basically didn't work. I contacted them about it and they confirmed it was a bug that might not ever get fixed. Might have been a specfic MCE remote (I think I use the Rosewill one), but they knew about the issue and gave me a free upgrade to TMT5 over it.
post #8 of 104 Old 01-31-2013, 11:02 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Yeah, the only issue I have with remote functionality is that pressing stop during playback just dumps you at the splash screen. You have to press back to get to the movie library again vs v5 where stopping brings you back to the library.
post #9 of 104 Old 02-06-2013, 07:06 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Just installed TMT 6 on 3 of my Windows 7 PC's. Windows 7 boot times went from <30 seconds to >2 minutes on all 3 PC's. Uninstalling TMT6 fixed the problem. Went back to TMT5.
post #10 of 104 Old 02-06-2013, 08:22 AM

Liked: 11
If Arcsoft cared about the HTPC community, they'd make it stupid simple to crack TMT6 and remove cinavia BS. Sure, they may have to put it in there for legal reasons, but there is no law or other agreement that I'm aware of that requires every feature of every piece of software to be hack proof...

Of course, if 6 makes boot times 4x longer, I don't really care what they do with it. eek.gif
post #11 of 104 Old 02-06-2013, 09:05 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by jekbrown View Post

If Arcsoft cared about the HTPC community, they'd make it stupid simple to crack TMT6 and remove cinavia BS. Sure, they may have to put it in there for legal reasons, but there is no law or other agreement that I'm aware of that requires every feature of every piece of software to be hack proof...
The "other agreement" that requires them to do it is their licensing agreement with the Blu-ray Disc Association Licensing office. Typically, it's something like an agreement to pay up to $1 million or more if breached.

Not even I care about the HTPC community enough to knowingly/willingly subject myself to a $1 million fine for them.
post #12 of 104 Old 02-06-2013, 09:45 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 31
http://www.videolan.org/developers/libbluray.html

This might be of interest to some of you. I don't know how good the support is at this point b/c I haven't tried it.

With passkey lite when I insert a blu-ray it starts the main movie in xbmc automatically. All free. Support for hdmv menus is new to xbmc but I haven't tried it, either.
post #13 of 104 Old 02-08-2013, 08:37 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 13
Installing this program made my boot times jump from 20 seconds to about 1 minute. Be careful
post #14 of 104 Old 02-08-2013, 11:34 AM

Liked: 150
Very strange. I am running TMT6 and my startup time did not change at all.
post #15 of 104 Old 02-09-2013, 08:26 PM
AVS Special Member

anyone have any word on how much the upgrade will be for TMT 5 users? I have seen a few threads saying they will not allow upgrades you will have to buy the new version outright.... hopefully this is just rumor and speculation and not truth!!
post #16 of 104 Old 02-09-2013, 08:46 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by nintari View Post

anyone have any word on how much the upgrade will be for TMT 5 users? I have seen a few threads saying they will not allow upgrades you will have to buy the new version outright.... hopefully this is just rumor and speculation and not truth!!
I paid $9.99 for the upgrade. But beware that there is a bug that will make your computer boot slower (there is also a work around for that).
post #17 of 104 Old 02-09-2013, 08:57 PM
AVS Special Member

finally seen the upgrade link on the product page below the buy now button.

I think this cold has got the best of me lol

I'll buy it now while I still can for $9.99, I still can use 5 in the mean time till they get 6 straightened out (boot bug)
post #18 of 104 Old 02-10-2013, 01:10 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cybrsage View Post

Very strange. I am running TMT6 and my startup time did not change at all.

It's only on systems with SSDs
post #19 of 104 Old 02-10-2013, 05:50 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by staknhalo View Post

It's only on systems with SSDs

Oh.. Glad you posted this. How did you find this out?
post #20 of 104 Old 02-10-2013, 06:07 AM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Since more of my rentals include Cinavia, I gave up playing physical disks in my HTPC. I purchased a standalone player and haven't looked back. MPC-HC is used for playback of all my ripped media.
post #21 of 104 Old 02-10-2013, 06:33 AM
AVS Special Member

I am seriously considering just dropping tmt all together. Way too many bugs in every version I've installed. Would seriously consider a 3tb hard drive to rip my hd-dvds into Blu-ray with clown to avoid this pos software.

It doesn't respect color space, hangs on startup (tmt 5) and, slowed boot (6).

I try to use mpc for all my playback with anything that doesn't have cinevia or 3d. And even then, I go with PowerDVD.

Basically, it is the only way to play hd-dvd and it doesn't do that well either. Hangs on menus and many other things.

I was expecting to see those bugs fixed in 6... Instead, they just introduced a new one. What a total letdown.
post #22 of 104 Old 02-10-2013, 09:11 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnthonyB View Post

Oh.. Glad you posted this. How did you find this out?

Lurking Arcsoft forums
Quote:

I am seriously considering just dropping tmt all together. Way too many bugs in every version I've installed. Would seriously consider a 3tb hard drive to rip my hd-dvds into Blu-ray with clown to avoid this pos software.

It doesn't respect color space, hangs on startup (tmt 5) and, slowed boot (6).

I try to use mpc for all my playback with anything that doesn't have cinevia or 3d. And even then, I go with PowerDVD.

Basically, it is the only way to play hd-dvd and it doesn't do that well either. Hangs on menus and many other things.

I was expecting to see those bugs fixed in 6... Instead, they just introduced a new one. What a total letdown.

Supposedly the 0-255 issue has been resolved in v6. In the post I made about it on the Arcsoft forum, someone else who was having/confirmed the issue said it was fixed when he tried out v6. I have yet to try it myself as I'm reformatting my HTPC soon and will wait till then.

I'm still gonna use TMTv6 for Redbox/Netflix rentals. I've remuxed all my archived titles to .mkv and will settle for losing chapter skip and FF/RW in exchange for native WMC playback (via Shark codec pack). I don't use them that much in movies and can just use the *number*+play button combo. For archived TV shows, 30 skip works just fine.
post #23 of 104 Old 02-10-2013, 09:54 AM

Liked: 12
Quote:

Installing this program made my boot times jump from 20 seconds to about 1 minute. Be careful

Interesting.

I installed it on my Lenovo ThinkPad Tablet 2, and I see the same one minute delay.

Geoff Coupe
post #24 of 104 Old 02-10-2013, 03:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tranle View Post

I paid $9.99 for the upgrade. But beware that there is a bug that will make your computer boot slower (there is also a work around for that).

My PC did not boot slower.
post #25 of 104 Old 02-10-2013, 03:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimA View Post

Since more of my rentals include Cinavia, I gave up playing physical disks in my HTPC. I purchased a standalone player and haven't looked back. MPC-HC is used for playback of all my ripped media.

If you are using the physical discs, you will never see the Cinavia protection hit you. Unless you are stripping the encryption off the disc that is...but why do that when you have the physical disc?
post #26 of 104 Old 02-10-2013, 04:02 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 59
Quote:
Originally Posted by cybrsage View Post

If you are using the physical discs, you will never see the Cinavia protection hit you. Unless you are stripping the encryption off the disc that is...but why do that when you have the physical disc?

Isn't cinavia triggered if you simply have anydvd running and try to play a cinavia disk? I could be wrong. That would be a problem if you use the same PC to rip and play disks.
post #27 of 104 Old 02-10-2013, 07:30 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 36
Yes. You would need to disable AnyDVD HD temporarily to play the disc.
post #28 of 104 Old 02-10-2013, 08:20 PM
AVS Special Member

I believe you can play with MPC-HC and it won't bother you about the cinevia virus
post #29 of 104 Old 02-10-2013, 10:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lockdown571 View Post

Isn't cinavia triggered if you simply have anydvd running and try to play a cinavia disk? I could be wrong. That would be a problem if you use the same PC to rip and play disks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vladd View Post

Yes. You would need to disable AnyDVD HD temporarily to play the disc.

AnyDVD strips the encryption from the disc, which is what triggers Cinavia. Like Vladd said, you would need to turn AnyDVD off. I only ever turn it on when I want to rip the BR disc, then turn it back off. No need to run it when I already removed the encryption from the disc.
post #30 of 104 Old 02-10-2013, 10:11 PM

Quote:

I believe you can play with MPC-HC and it won't bother you about the cinevia virus

Cinavia is not a virus. It does even come close to being a virus. It is no more of a virus than the system built into some cars which only allow them to be started by using a key with a built in microchip with an authorization sequence in it.
Reply Home Theater Computers