Ubuntu 12.10, nVidia, and XBMC color issues - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 4 Old 01-31-2013, 03:20 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
In windows I had everything setup perfectly color wise. Output was set to YCbCr 4:4:4 in Catalyst. I have since switched over to Ubuntu and a nVidia card to bitstream HD audio with XBMC. The issue I am having now is when I start the computer up, even though I have it set to YCbCr4444 in the nVidia control panel it looks like it reverts it back to RGB Full. Colors look richer and blacks are crushed when watching movies. Just by opening up the control panel I can see everything lighten up (which I am assuming it is switching back to YCbCr), but the colors now look kinda washed out but the black levels look better. Is it possible I have a setting messed up? Should I leave it at RGB full and do the calibration elsewhere? I used the pictures settings for my TV that were posted on the forum and everything looked great under Windows, so I am thinking that it is not the TV settings but something going on in the Linux environment. I'm a little confused as to what is going on.

FWIW I am using the nVidia 310.14 drivers and XBMC FRODO RC3, nVidia GTX 650.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 Old 01-31-2013, 06:53 AM

Liked: 11
In XBMC do you have "vdpau studio level color conversion" turned on? I know I turned that on once and the interface would look fine but movies would look all washed out and garbage.
post #3 of 4 Old 01-31-2013, 07:02 AM - Thread Starter

I have messed around with that and nothing I try makes it look like "normal" to me. I am gonna try XBMCbuntu and see if that does anything.
post #4 of 4 Old 01-31-2013, 09:04 AM - Thread Starter

Well I changed the color space to RGB full in the nVidia CP and adjusted the color space and the hdmi black levels on the TV and everything looks pretty normal now. Guess whatever settings I had in Windows just happened to work with my TV settings. They just needed a little adjustment for Linux.
Reply Home Theater Computers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page