Media Browser 3 is coming!! - Page 19 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
 10Likes

post #541 of 1446 Old 10-13-2013, 04:03 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 108
Yea ISO's are tough in this new multi-platform world. But I think we've done fairly well with them.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #542 of 1446 Old 10-13-2013, 04:57 PM
QuadMersed in bass!

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by gmanhdtv View Post

Roku app is working better, excellent progress. Still showing 100% cpu usage on server and a mild stutter every few minutes. I have all my files as iso, so encoding is required, which may be the issue.

Keep up the outstanding work and I am looking forward to MB Theater!!!

I am interested in running MB3, and have been following along. I was interested to see your CPU usage, and am curious what MOBO, Processor, and RAM you have? Does transcoding an ISO tax the CPU the same whether it is DVD or BD? For me, I have most of my kids media as full DVD rips (folder structure), as well as transcoded copies for portable devices. However, it would be nice to get rid of the transcoded versions eventually, so I am interested in transcoding performance.

Thanks.

Mark
post #543 of 1446 Old 10-13-2013, 05:26 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by lukemb View Post

Yea ISO's are tough in this new multi-platform world. But I think we've done fairly well with them.

Converted a recent iso (purchased disk) to mkv, plays perfectly but still 98-100% cpu usage on the server. Suggestions?

Thanks

Glenn
post #544 of 1446 Old 10-13-2013, 05:28 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by giomania View Post

I am interested in running MB3, and have been following along. I was interested to see your CPU usage, and am curious what MOBO, Processor, and RAM you have? Does transcoding an ISO tax the CPU the same whether it is DVD or BD? For me, I have most of my kids media as full DVD rips (folder structure), as well as transcoded copies for portable devices. However, it would be nice to get rid of the transcoded versions eventually, so I am interested in transcoding performance.

Thanks.

Mark

Dell xps 8500 with core i5 and 8 gigs of ram. No difference in cpu usage either iso or mkv.
post #545 of 1446 Old 10-13-2013, 06:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gmanhdtv View Post

Converted a recent iso (purchased disk) to mkv, plays perfectly but still 98-100% cpu usage on the server. Suggestions?

Thanks

Glenn

post in our forums so that Tikuf can take a look at it. My initial thoughts are that if the bitrate is higher than what the roku can handle natively, then that's why it would need to encode. also make sure you're on the roku update that was released this weekend.
post #546 of 1446 Old 10-13-2013, 07:11 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 58
Quote:

post in our forums so that Tikuf can take a look at it. My initial thoughts are that if the bitrate is higher than what the roku can handle natively, then that's why it would need to encode. also make sure you're on the roku update that was released this weekend.

The Roku 2/3 (now 1,2,3) can handle max BD bitrate without issue. It cannot playback HD audio though and has a very limited codec compatibility for playback over HTTP.

Running Windows Home Server 2011 Evil Abandoned Edition
post #547 of 1446 Old 10-13-2013, 07:36 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by itznfb View Post

The Roku 2/3 (now 1,2,3) can handle max BD bitrate without issue. It cannot playback HD audio though and has a very limited codec compatibility for playback over HTTP.

Unfortunately what it can't handle is any video codec other than h.264 AFAIK.
post #548 of 1446 Old 10-13-2013, 07:43 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lockdown571 View Post

Unfortunately what it can't handle is any video codec other than h.264 AFAIK.

That would be correct. And the only supported containers are MP4 and MKV. MKV over HTTP is still pretty buggy though as it was only implemented a month or so ago. If you want 1:1 rip playback of local content the Roku isn't the device for you.

post #549 of 1446 Old 10-13-2013, 08:43 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by itznfb View Post

That would be correct. And the only supported containers are MP4 and MKV. MKV over HTTP is still pretty buggy though as it was only implemented a month or so ago. If you want 1:1 rip playback of local content the Roku isn't the device for you.

Only trying to use Roku for non primary usage in rooms other than the dedicated theater. The Roku 3 is fast and easy to use, great for other family members, guest room etc. Hopefully there is a solution to the cpu usage, otherwise Roku app is time wasted by MB3 developers, no offense to their hard work, just an observation.

I still have hope.
post #550 of 1446 Old 10-13-2013, 08:49 PM
Advanced Member

Not sure what you're seeing high CPU usage on when transcoding but the Plex transcoder has become pretty efficient. They still have some work to do though and I still see some high CPU usage on some VC-1 transcodes and MPEG2 transcodes.

Does the MB3 transcoder split the streams and direct stream the audio or video even if the other stream needs transcoding?

post #551 of 1446 Old 10-14-2013, 11:22 AM

Our Roku developer just posted information that outlines when transcoding is used and when it isn't. There's quite a bit more involved than just bitrate as it turns out:

http://mediabrowser3.com/community/index.php?/topic/594-roku-public-beta/?p=27126

Please feel free to ask him any questions.
post #552 of 1446 Old 10-17-2013, 12:06 PM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 43
Any news on when Media Browser Classic will be compatible with Windows 8.1?

Mr Zoid

A GF that bought me a PS3 and a HD-A2? I'm a lucky man!
post #553 of 1446 Old 10-17-2013, 12:33 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Liked: 39

lukemb, I tried to find out exactly how the parsing/scrapers in MB3 work, but couldn't find any info in the forums or the blogs. There is obviously a new architecture there and it seems very flexible.

Add me to the list of people who'd love for there to be a collaboration between your team and XBMC. Since Plex server is closed source, and MB3 seems better from a technical point anyway, it could be the best of both worlds - a MB3 server combined with MB3/XBMC clients seamlessly. The only issue to be worked out would be how to handle DB updates/watched/resume status between the 2 ecosystems, and this could be done with some sort of shim or abstraction layer.

post #554 of 1446 Old 10-17-2013, 01:56 PM

Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Liked: 79
Forgive me if I've missed this but...

I'm assuming there is an Music player in MB3T? If so, will it use WASAPI exclusive bitperfect output?

Are there any screenshots of the music player 10' interface?
post #555 of 1446 Old 10-17-2013, 02:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrZoid View Post

Any news on when Media Browser Classic will be compatible with Windows 8.1?

Mr Zoid

not too far off
post #556 of 1446 Old 10-17-2013, 02:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Defcon View Post

lukemb, I tried to find out exactly how the parsing/scrapers in MB3 work, but couldn't find any info in the forums or the blogs. There is obviously a new architecture there and it seems very flexible.

Add me to the list of people who'd love for there to be a collaboration between your team and XBMC. Since Plex server is closed source, and MB3 seems better from a technical point anyway, it could be the best of both worlds - a MB3 server combined with MB3/XBMC clients seamlessly. The only issue to be worked out would be how to handle DB updates/watched/resume status between the 2 ecosystems, and this could be done with some sort of shim or abstraction layer.

That is exactly what we are hoping for. We have more data than anyone else at this point, so we're able to do some pretty cool things with it. We have a plugin that will allow the server to manage xbmc nfo's as well. The upcoming server release will bring that full circle as we will have full support for all xbmc image file naming conventions - both from the standpoint of recognizing images that are there, and also the ability to save using xbmc-friendly conventions.

We are hoping to recruit a developer for an xbmc client as well, but even in the meantime our server should be pretty attractive to xbmc users, in that it can manage their metadata and act as a back-end for other devices - android, ios, roku, win phone, etc.
Mfusick likes this.
post #557 of 1446 Old 10-17-2013, 02:56 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 156 Post(s)
Liked: 297
Quote:

That is exactly what we are hoping for. We have more data than anyone else at this point, so we're able to do some pretty cool things with it. We have a plugin that will allow the server to manage xbmc nfo's as well. The upcoming server release will bring that full circle as we will have full support for all xbmc image file naming conventions - both from the standpoint of recognizing images that are there, and also the ability to save using xbmc-friendly conventions.

We are hoping to recruit a developer for an xbmc client as well, but even in the meantime our server should be pretty attractive to xbmc users, in that it can manage their metadata and act as a back-end for other devices - android, ios, roku, win phone, etc.

How are the MB3 libraries presented?

XBMC is working towards a nice upnp implementation, and adding a couple big things to their upnp server/client code

http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid=149489&pid=1417386#pid1417386

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HfQTGclBfpY

According to others (haven't used it myself) resume points and watched status is already added to upnp sharing in the latest Gotham monthly.

If MB3 is sharing a upnp library, XBMC would be able to scan it and use it just like it's own videodb. I'm not familiar with the details that are scraped from the upnp share though. Also, alcoheca's changes to the upnp client/server code in xbmc send the resume point and watched status from a upnp client to a upnp server
  • In the case where MB3 was the upnp server XBMC would scan the share into it's local library
  • When the XBMC client watches an entire video it will send some form of "Watched" status to the server (MB3 would have to apply this to it's own database)
  • When the XBMC client stops a video at 30:56 it will send a similar status

Lots of possibilities
Mfusick likes this.
post #558 of 1446 Old 10-17-2013, 03:01 PM

We don't use unpn. We use a Rest api through our own web server. So a developer who wants to build a client for MB3 talks to the server using ordinary http requests.
post #559 of 1446 Old 10-17-2013, 03:18 PM

Anyhow, if anyone likes the idea of an xbmc client for mb3, please comment in here:

http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid=173372

The more interest it creates the greater the chances are that it will happen.
post #560 of 1446 Old 10-17-2013, 04:07 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Liked: 39

I have replied to the thread, hope someone picks it up!

Can you give an idea of when we can see the MB Theater release? Also can you give details on the scraper/metadata architecture?

Thanks

post #561 of 1446 Old 10-18-2013, 10:18 AM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 43
Quote:

not too far off

I see the change of the download page now. smile.gif

I'm still going to hold off on updating to 8.1 temporarily.

All I have to do now is sit back and wait for MBT. biggrin.gif

Mr Zoid

A GF that bought me a PS3 and a HD-A2? I'm a lucky man!
post #562 of 1446 Old 10-18-2013, 04:32 PM

Liked: 22

Listening to the new Cults album, Static, via Chrome, two states and several hours away from my media server. As much as I've enjoyed Pandora, RDIO, Amazon Player, etc. there's nothing quite as satisfying as having my own private 'cloud' for media playback. Massive +1 (and donations, of course) to the MB dev team.

lukemb likes this.

Case:Fractal Design Node 605
APU:AMD Richland A10-6700
RAM:8GB AMD 1866
Board:ASUS A88XM Plus
Storage:OCZ 256 GB Vector
Optical:Panasonic Slim BDR
PS:Silverstone Strider 550 Gold SFF
Software:WMC8+LAV+madVR+MPC-HC
Input:Logitech K400 mini KB/trackpad+Harmony 720
Output:Sammy 55" S6 LED LCD+Yamaha soundbar
post #563 of 1446 Old 10-21-2013, 08:11 AM

post #564 of 1446 Old 10-21-2013, 08:34 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 147 Post(s)
Liked: 776
Nice write up biggrin.gif

-

"Too much is almost enough. Anything in life worth doing is worth overdoing. Moderation is for cowards."
post #565 of 1446 Old 10-21-2013, 09:05 PM

Liked: 10
From what I read, this looks very cool! I apologize for sounding a bit naive, but will this also be available through the Play store on google apps? The reason I ask is my smart tv has managed to outsmart my ability to put it on the tv. If all else fails, I can put it on a pc and make it a dedicated HTPC. Thanks for sharing and keep up the good work!
post #566 of 1446 Old 10-22-2013, 06:01 AM

Yes, we'll be in the Play Store soon too.
post #567 of 1446 Old 10-22-2013, 09:15 AM

Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Liked: 79
Perhaps a dumb question, but will there be a "link" to get to Windows Media Center from inside MB3T? I love MB3 classic, but I leave my HTPC/Server running 24/7 and I'm constantly having to close WMC and restart it due to tuner errors, wrong guide info, etc. If MB3T allows quick access to WMC I would just leave MB3T running all the time, such that it is the true "front-end" with WMC only being loaded for TV. Does this make sense?
post #568 of 1446 Old 10-22-2013, 07:11 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by emcdade View Post

Perhaps a dumb question, but will there be a "link" to get to Windows Media Center from inside MB3T? I love MB3 classic, but I leave my HTPC/Server running 24/7 and I'm constantly having to close WMC and restart it due to tuner errors, wrong guide info, etc. If MB3T allows quick access to WMC I would just leave MB3T running all the time, such that it is the true "front-end" with WMC only being loaded for TV. Does this make sense?

I believe there will be a link between the two. Or shortcut I should say.
post #569 of 1446 Old 10-23-2013, 08:06 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 96 Post(s)
Liked: 187
Quote:
Originally Posted by Acidshort View Post

From what I read, this looks very cool! I apologize for sounding a bit naive, but will this also be available through the Play store on google apps? The reason I ask is my smart tv has managed to outsmart my ability to put it on the tv. If all else fails, I can put it on a pc and make it a dedicated HTPC. Thanks for sharing and keep up the good work!

What smart TV is it? Does it even run android? If if does, it won't let you side-load an app?

post #570 of 1446 Old 10-23-2013, 08:08 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 96 Post(s)
Liked: 187
Quote:
Originally Posted by emcdade View Post

One must wonder why? Mine is an appliance.

Reply Home Theater Computers

Tags
Mediabrowser , Mediabrowser 3

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page