Media Browser 3 is coming!! - Page 46 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

Old 04-25-2014, 09:21 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 243 Post(s)
Liked: 81
Does anyone here use an external player for either theater or classic? If so what was the reasoning? Is there a benefit?

Living room theater set-up:  
AVR: Pioneer VSX-1124-K.
Speakers/Sub: (4) NHT Classic Two and an NHT TwoC center + PSA-XV15 subwoofer.
HTPC: z97 mobo, 16GB mem, i5-4440, SSD+HD, LG BD drive, Win 8.1 pro w/WMC + MB3.
Content sources: OTA Winegard HD7698P, Amazon Fire TV Stick, Netflix etc.
HDTV: Sharp LC-60SQ15U (ehhh).
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-25-2014, 09:53 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 73 Post(s)
Liked: 267
I use mpc hc with mb3 classic, it allows me to use madvr. Mb3 theater uses madvr so I will probably stop using mpc hc in the future.
Old 04-25-2014, 11:34 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrkazador View Post

I use mpc hc with mb3 classic, it allows me to use madvr. Mb3 theater uses madvr so I will probably stop using mpc hc in the future.

Thanks for the info.  Is there a benefit to madVR when all I play is blu ray MKV files?  I read that madVR really only makes a difference with DVD rips and lower quality HD video (like 720p).  Anyhow, I know that madVR has the feature to allow you to set the frame rate.  I think that my movies have been playing at 60hz lately because I haven't noticed my screen adjust to 24hz when the movie starts (much like how it adjusts when I play an actual blu ray disc with PowerDVD).  I have, however, not noticed any difference if it is playing at 60hz vs 24hz.  Their is no shuttering.  

HTPC: z97 mobo, 16GB mem, i5-4440, SSD+HD, LG BD drive, Win 8.1 pro w/WMC + MB3.
Old 04-26-2014, 12:37 AM

Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by jhughy2010 View Post

Thanks for the info.  Is there a benefit to madVR when all I play is blu ray MKV files?  I read that madVR really only makes a difference with DVD rips and lower quality HD video (like 720p).  Anyhow, I know that madVR has the feature to allow you to set the frame rate.  I think that my movies have been playing at 60hz lately because I haven't noticed my screen adjust to 24hz when the movie starts (much like how it adjusts when I play an actual blu ray disc with PowerDVD).  I have, however, not noticed any difference if it is playing at 60hz vs 24hz.  Their is no shuttering.  

From my experience you won't notice it quite as much with blu-rays, but it does use high quality rendering. Aside from the upscaling (which is probably its main benefit), it also does debanding (probably not much of an issue with blu-rays) and the error diffusion is very nice.  There's a host of other features I'm leaving out, but it's pretty great if you like to tinker.  The dev has really been putting some great stuff in and increasing its performance.

I use MPC-BE as an external player for XBMC, but I have read of people using it/MPC-HC with MBC.  I'm not sure if it's a universal issue or just a few people on the forums with the issue, but last I checked full screen exclusive mode for madvr didn't work with MBC and a few people had issues with mouse/keyboard response when using it.  It's entirely possible that's been fixed by now.

Old 04-26-2014, 06:06 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 32
MPC-HC + LAV is all I use as an external player now for BD's ripped as 1080P MKV's. Quality is great, and no complaints. I've been playing around with MB3 and MBT, and it's coming along great, but I'm still inclined to use external players with it for now. My DVD's are all backed up to VIDEO_TS format, so I use TMT3 w/SIM HD for those, and it works fine.

MBT is coming along nicely though. Still a little rough around the edges with no 3rd party themes yet, but lots of potential.
Old 04-26-2014, 10:45 AM
Advanced Member

I think I'll download madvr for tinkering purposes. So far mb3 theater has been great. I'm having some issues with mb3 classic within wmc 8.1

Old 04-26-2014, 07:43 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 238 Post(s)
Liked: 315
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark_Slayer View Post

I don't consider that to be accurate at the time I last used it

It frequently had to re "get" your library posters and titles. Really was not good for a library over 100 titles

Not one bad thing to say about the developers and the effort they were throwing at it. It was just a limitation of the xbmc library cache at the time. There was a senior xbmc Dev working on a concept from a 2 year old gsoc project that would alleviate that issue by allowing the mb3 and other server sources to be scanned as a local database (ie not rebuilt every time you go into a movies info screen and back). Until that was finished or added, xbmb3c as a daily driver for xbmc is not entirely pheasant with a large library

Allow me to offer apology and take this back

Actually this was true information from my first hand experience, but the XBMB3C guys have already fixed that issue

XBMB3C now uses native image caching smile.gifbiggrin.gifwink.gif (not enough smiles for that)
Quote:
Originally Posted by pylor View Post

I have a movie library of ~300 movies (probably less, I'm just judging based on the folder count in my movies folder) and I haven't noticed this issue after the first time they were loaded.  I have a gigabit connection and an SSD that stores the info for XBMC so it might just happen so quickly I don't notice it on my main computer.  My second computer is an old nettop with an atom processor and it's on a mediocre powerline connection, it does have some loading time issues regarding all the art and such, but after it's been loaded it seems to be saved properly.  I'll check when I get back this evening though.

Yep, I just hadn't used it for some time
Quote:
Originally Posted by lukemb View Post

Exactly, Xbmb3c is really a great option. We have about 10 contributors working on it right now from everything to the core add-on to additional skin support. So it is seeing quite a bit of active development and as a result is moving very quickly.

For me, this is just what MB3 needed. I have a lot of love for my x64 intel based OpenELEC boxes (and down the line probably ARM based OpenELEC), and this now marries MB3 to that quite well. Plus, I'll get all the other goodies, ServerWMC from a browser, maybe eventually replace Plex with MB3 android app, maybe try out MBT on my "main" desktop - great work. This should take the pressure off of a linux port of MBT

One of the things I'm curious about now (changing topic somewhat) is the ability for MBT to ever see a linux port. XBMC sees cross-compatibility between win-mac-nix because their paplayer and dvdplayer cores were in house. Does MBT still rely on the videolan team for the player? --- I realize this is not of much consequence to most, it's really just a curiosity of mine at this point
Mfusick likes this.
Old 04-28-2014, 10:20 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 197 Post(s)
Liked: 1016
I have a question on the trailers plug in and settings. Would it be possible for MB3 to support movie trailers with the storage destination outside your movie collection in a designated "trailers" folder ? I want to use trailers but I hate the mess it makes to my media libraries, it's hard to manage and can cause issues with other things that access my media or share it.

http://www.avsforum.com/t/1526639/what-is-everyone-doing-for-trailers/0_100#post_24657407

@ Luke could you pop in there and give me a quick answer on the trailers plug in. I am wondering if it stores trailers XBMC style or the old MB folder style ?

-

"Too much is almost enough. Anything in life worth doing is worth overdoing. Moderation is for cowards."
Old 04-28-2014, 09:57 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 113
it saves xbmc style
Mfusick likes this.
Old 04-29-2014, 08:57 AM

An update to our windows phone app has just been released, bringing live TV and more smile.gif

http://mediabrowser3.com/community/index.php?/blog/1/entry-59-windows-phone-8-app-updated-brings-live-tv-and-more/
Old 05-01-2014, 07:06 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lukemb View Post

it saves xbmc style

Thanks. This is different than the old media browser right ? So then I should convert all my media and any older "trailer" folders over to the new style or delete the folders entirely right ?

-

"Too much is almost enough. Anything in life worth doing is worth overdoing. Moderation is for cowards."
Old 05-01-2014, 07:08 PM

We support both so you can use whichever convention you prefer, and/or mix them.

However when saving, we use Xbmc style because one of the goals of MB3 has been standardize as much as possible by adopting conventions that are widely used by other apps.
Dark_Slayer likes this.
Old 05-01-2014, 07:21 PM
AVS Addicted Member

That goes against what I am seeing. My MB3 app seems to download and tag a lot of crap as "mickey's trailer" I've deleted thousands of those covers. I think having the app and the server program store the trailers in a designated folder and outside the movie folder is the simplest solution. I only really want to use trailers with MB3 theater anyways, that's my go to program for the HTPC on the projector and the only time I would use the feature. No sense in messing up my movie collections for such a trivial feature, but not a feature I want to go without either.

-

Old 05-02-2014, 07:16 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mfusick View Post

That goes against what I am seeing. My MB3 app seems to download and tag a lot of crap as "mickey's trailer" I've deleted thousands of those covers. I think having the app and the server program store the trailers in a designated folder and outside the movie folder is the simplest solution. I only really want to use trailers with MB3 theater anyways, that's my go to program for the HTPC on the projector and the only time I would use the feature. No sense in messing up my movie collections for such a trivial feature, but not a feature I want to go without either.

I use to have my movie trailers stored in a folder of their own and found after while that it was a real pain for managing your library. Ended up moving them all back to the movie folder into a trailer folder where they belong.
Old 05-02-2014, 12:02 PM
AVS Addicted Member

I just don't want them in my movie folders making a mess, or getting scraped by stuff. I use more than just a single front end, and lots of stuff has access to my library.

-

Old 05-25-2014, 06:15 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 10
What is the difference between mediabrowser theater and classic? Couldn't really find anything on the site.
Old 05-25-2014, 07:40 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 73 Post(s)
Liked: 267

Mediabrowser classic needs Windows Media Center for its browsing features. Mediabrowser Theater is a standalone product so it doesn't rely on WMC.  

Old 05-25-2014, 09:29 PM
ebr
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 20
The above is correct. MBC is the WMC plug-in client where MBT is a stand-alone program. MBT is still in the development and testing phase but is functional.
Old 05-26-2014, 06:30 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Is it possible to have 7MC, media player classic, media player server and media player theater on one computer at the same time or will media player theater conflict with any of the other programs?

I was discouraged from installing theater because the description states it is not even an alpha version yet, but I would be willing to try it out.

Media Player Classic is semi functional for me around mounting and playing iso files and obeying jump forward harmony remote commands when using MPC-HC as an external player. Currently, I am defaulting back to 7MC for things that do not work in Media Player Classic. Also, I cannot delete recorded TV programs I have watched.
Old 05-26-2014, 07:12 AM
ebr
AVS Special Member

Yes, those could all co-exist on the same machine.

Can you expand on "Things that do not work in Media Player Classic"? Did you really mean Media Player Classic or Media Browser Classic? If the latter I'd like to know what things "don't work" as we just use the normal WMC player unless you are using an external one.
Old 05-26-2014, 10:42 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Postmoderndesign View Post

Is it possible to have 7MC, media player classic, media player server and media player theater on one computer at the same time or will media player theater conflict with any of the other programs?

I was discouraged from installing theater because the description states it is not even an alpha version yet, but I would be willing to try it out.

Media Player Classic is semi functional for me around mounting and playing iso files and obeying jump forward harmony remote commands when using MPC-HC as an external player. Currently, I am defaulting back to 7MC for things that do not work in Media Player Classic. Also, I cannot delete recorded TV programs I have watched.

Yes, I typed incorrectly and meant Media Browser Classic. And yes, I am using MPC_HC as an external player to get the advantage of madVR upscaling. The remote works fine with free standing MPC-HC but will not navigate or jump forward when it is an external player for media browser classic. Inside media browser classic MPC-HC only recognizes chapter one and thinks that is the whole .iso file.

Also, I have 7MC library modified to mount .iso files and use MPC-HC as the player and this method of playing .iso files works for me.
Old 05-26-2014, 03:34 PM
ebr
AVS Special Member

Old 05-26-2014, 05:24 PM
AVS Special Member

.iso is a great backup format for DVD's and for Blu rays when .mkv fails. Perhaps media browser is not developing in a direction useful to me and I should consider alternatives. The epg in 7MC is a feature I use daily as is live TV. If media browser is not going to have an integrated electronic program guide and a live TV feature I am not sure it is the media organizer for me.
Old 05-26-2014, 06:07 PM
ebr
AVS Special Member

I think our ISO support is better than anyone's out there. You know of another solution that can stream ISOs on the fly to mobile platforms?

The whole market has moved away from ISOs as it is just not a necessary format and creates unnecessary hurdles. If you can't rip to a file format like MKV or just want to maintain menu functionality, you can rip to folder structures and eliminate the additional problems that come with ISOs (the need for mounting and the opaque nature of the format to probing tools) while still maintaining the complete functionality of the entire disc.
Old 05-26-2014, 07:39 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 162 Post(s)
Liked: 298
Quote:
Originally Posted by Postmoderndesign View Post

.iso is a great backup format for DVD's and for Blu rays when .mkv fails. Perhaps media browser is not developing in a direction useful to me and I should consider alternatives. The epg in 7MC is a feature I use daily as is live TV. If media browser is not going to have an integrated electronic program guide and a live TV feature I am not sure it is the media organizer for me.

ISO support in MB Theater is outstanding. It's the main reason I switched over from XBMC as soon as it went public. It's incredibly easy to setup mounting the ISO in the program of your choice and it does it flawlessly.

Looky here!
Old 05-26-2014, 08:40 PM
AVS Special Member

Thanks, I'll give theater a try.
Old 05-27-2014, 06:58 AM

Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Liked: 27
Last time I tried it a few weeks back, I couldn't get PowerDVD to trigger playback for an ISO mounted through MBT. Has anything changed?

Also ISO is necessary for 3D rips isn't it? I believe if you rip a 3D BD to a folder structure, it doubles the storage space required.
Old 05-27-2014, 07:31 AM
ebr
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JaremyP View Post

Also ISO is necessary for 3D rips isn't it? I believe if you rip a 3D BD to a folder structure, it doubles the storage space required.

Not sure how that would be the case. An ISO and folder structure should be identical in content. You just have to "mount" one of them in order to access the file structure within it.
Old 05-27-2014, 07:42 AM

Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Liked: 27
"You absolutely do not want to rip your 3d blu ray movies to a folder structure. They will end up taking almost twice the required space due to the way the filestructure on a bluray disc implements the 3d."

Quick google search turned up this quote. This is what I've seen mentioned in a number of places. I haven't tried it myself first hand though.
Old 05-27-2014, 08:14 AM
AVS Addicted Member

You are better off with the MVC coding intact

-

Tags
Mediabrowser , Mediabrowser 3