post #1441 of 1446 Old 07-02-2014, 10:37 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 142 Post(s)
Liked: 124
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy_Steb View Post
WHS/Server Essentials gives you remote web access, you set it up in dashboard. It will give you an opportunity to sign up for an homeserver.com/remotewebaccess.com address. WHS will try to forward ports 80 and 443 using UPnP. I manually forwarded port 443 to my server, my ISP blocks port 80.

I think MediaBrowser server tries UPun also. Again I prefer manual forwarding, so 8096 is forwarded to my server.

So to get to Mediabrowser remotely: your_name.remotewebaccess.com:8096/mediabrowser
So I set up my first WHS several months ago, but it never occured to me that would work with MB! I even already have that port forwarded. Too obvious I guess.

Good tip about those routers, oman.

Last edited by leebo; 07-02-2014 at 10:41 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1442 of 1446 Old 07-04-2014, 10:20 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 122 Post(s)
Liked: 62
I found out that my Netgear router has a built in Dynamic DNS functionality through NO-IP which seems to be working great.

A few questions for those that transcode:

1) Transcoding seems to be choppy at best. I am getting ok streaming performance when I set the player to 3mbps. I have Comcast 50mpbs upload and 10mpbs download (however, speedtest reveals I'm only getting 6mbps upload). I'm assuming the upload speed of my ISP is the limiting factor?

2) With that said, I rip to MKV and do a full BD rip. So the player is transcoding? (versus remuxing???). I ask this because I used handbrake for a few movies (brought the MKV file from 20-25GB to 2-3GB) and the player says that it is remuxing... furthermore, the player says that the bitrate for the smaller files are much lower (like 4kbps versus 27kbps)... does this mean that a BD file that has gone through handbrakes compression is much easier to stream versus a BD file that is a full rip (in all its glory). I honestly have been unable to tell the difference in quality when I play back the handbrake rip (3GB) versus the makeMKV rip (20-30GB). Any thoughts?

3) What do people set the transcoding setting to within mediabrowser server? I set mine to auto... is this a limiting factor?

Theater set-up:  

AVR:  Pioneer VSX-820

Speakers:  5.1 consists of four NHT Classic Two bookshelf and an NHT TwoC center

Sub:  PSA-XV15

HTPC - ridiculously over-the-top, home-built gaming PC that I tinker with daily!

OTA antenna:  Winegard HD7698P

HDTV:  Sharp LC-60SQ15U

Last edited by jhughy2010; 07-04-2014 at 10:26 AM.
post #1443 of 1446 Old 07-05-2014, 10:44 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhughy2010 View Post
I found out that my Netgear router has a built in Dynamic DNS functionality through NO-IP which seems to be working great.

A few questions for those that transcode:

1) Transcoding seems to be choppy at best. I am getting ok streaming performance when I set the player to 3mbps. I have Comcast 50mpbs upload and 10mpbs download (however, speedtest reveals I'm only getting 6mbps upload). I'm assuming the upload speed of my ISP is the limiting factor?

2) With that said, I rip to MKV and do a full BD rip. So the player is transcoding? (versus remuxing???). I ask this because I used handbrake for a few movies (brought the MKV file from 20-25GB to 2-3GB) and the player says that it is remuxing... furthermore, the player says that the bitrate for the smaller files are much lower (like 4kbps versus 27kbps)... does this mean that a BD file that has gone through handbrakes compression is much easier to stream versus a BD file that is a full rip (in all its glory). I honestly have been unable to tell the difference in quality when I play back the handbrake rip (3GB) versus the makeMKV rip (20-30GB). Any thoughts?

3) What do people set the transcoding setting to within mediabrowser server? I set mine to auto... is this a limiting factor?
First, a few questions:

1. Are you streaming within your home network, or out over the Internet?
2. What are you using to play the files? MB Theater? Roku? The Android or IOS app?
3. What is the bitrate of the files you are playing?

Also, to clarify, my understanding is that transcoding is the act of taking the original file and altering the bitrate, then playing it out to a player. Remuxing is the act of taking two or more files, and combining them into one. Say you have a video file and an audio file. You mux them together into a single file with video and audio.

I believe MB and Plex typically transcode, but only if either the bitrate of the original file is too high for the player, or it's in a format the player can not play (in which case it's converted into a different format).

Last edited by leebo; 07-05-2014 at 10:51 AM.
post #1444 of 1446 Old 07-05-2014, 01:30 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by leebo View Post
First, a few questions:

1. Are you streaming within your home network, or out over the Internet?
2. What are you using to play the files? MB Theater? Roku? The Android or IOS app?
3. What is the bitrate of the files you are playing?

Also, to clarify, my understanding is that transcoding is the act of taking the original file and altering the bitrate, then playing it out to a player. Remuxing is the act of taking two or more files, and combining them into one. Say you have a video file and an audio file. You mux them together into a single file with video and audio.

I believe MB and Plex typically transcode, but only if either the bitrate of the original file is too high for the player, or it's in a format the player can not play (in which case it's converted into a different format).
Thanks for your response:

I am doing both... streaming within home network and out of home network. MB server is on my HTPC/server. The HTPC/server has WMC and I believe there is no transcoding being done because the server is on the same OS as the WMC... anyhow, I also stream via my home network to two other computers that both have the Windows 8.1 metro app (MB3). One of those computers is a laptop that I often take to work and just recently have been trying to watch a movie or two on. I have a galaxy s5 that I have watched a few movies on (have to reduce the stream to 850kbps).

I've noticed that there are more options when using the web browser to stream at work. I have tried the 1080p/5mbps quality setting and it is only a little choppy. If I pause it for about five minutes, walk away, then come back I get a few solid minutes of smooth playback. This must have something to do with the buffer. I am ultimately thinking that the limiting factor must be my upload speed from my ISP. I did a speed test the other night and I was getting 6mbps upload speed, however, I getting choppy playback with anything over 4mbps.

A few files that I have encoded with handbrake have a bitrate of 4mbps. Other files that are full BD rips are up there in the 20-30mbps bitrate. This is one of the reasons I was thinking that an encoded video might be easier to transcode.

On a side note, my full BD rips are saying that they are being transcoded whilst my encoded BD rips are saying they are being remuxed (this is during playback remotely, via MB3 in the web browser).

Thanks for your help and info, this is all very new to me.

Theater set-up:  

Speakers:  5.1 consists of four NHT Classic Two bookshelf and an NHT TwoC center

HTPC - ridiculously over-the-top, home-built gaming PC that I tinker with daily!

post #1445 of 1446 Old 07-05-2014, 06:10 PM
AVS Special Member

Well, they're using "muxing" in a way I'm not familiar with, but that doesn't mean much.

Anyway, when away from home, try using the 720p setting. And if your home upload speed is typically around 6Mbps, set it to 4 or less. I'm assuming you're not uploading anything else at the same time. I envy you. I only get 4Mbps up.

Maybe you can help me. How do you use a web browser to access MB3 when you're away from home? that was suggested to me earlier this week, but not explained. Do you simply type in your home wan IP address followed by the port?
post #1446 of 1446 Old 07-06-2014, 05:37 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by leebo View Post
Well, they're using "muxing" in a way I'm not familiar with, but that doesn't mean much.

Anyway, when away from home, try using the 720p setting. And if your home upload speed is typically around 6Mbps, set it to 4 or less. I'm assuming you're not uploading anything else at the same time. I envy you. I only get 4Mbps up.

Maybe you can help me. How do you use a web browser to access MB3 when you're away from home? that was suggested to me earlier this week, but not explained. Do you simply type in your home wan IP address followed by the port?
Yeah I'm not familiar with the muxing that is refered to in transcoding either. I am only able to set it to 4-5mbps but it still looks a little grainy with these settings. I would really like to get the comcast package that allows for 20mbps (I find that I have been watching a lot of movies remotely).

The web browser was the best way to go IMO. I like the Windows 8.1 app that MB3 released as well but it is not as informative and doesn't allow the full control like the web browser.

You simply enter in your IP or your home server address. I used NO-IP to make an address. For example: http://yourwebaddressorIPaddress:8096/mediabrowser

Theater set-up:  

Reply Home Theater Computers

Tags
Mediabrowser , Mediabrowser 3

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page