Media Browser 3 is coming!! - Page 49 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 
 10Likes

Old 07-02-2014, 10:37 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 420 Post(s)
Liked: 248
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy_Steb View Post
WHS/Server Essentials gives you remote web access, you set it up in dashboard. It will give you an opportunity to sign up for an homeserver.com/remotewebaccess.com address. WHS will try to forward ports 80 and 443 using UPnP. I manually forwarded port 443 to my server, my ISP blocks port 80.

I think MediaBrowser server tries UPun also. Again I prefer manual forwarding, so 8096 is forwarded to my server.

So to get to Mediabrowser remotely: your_name.remotewebaccess.com:8096/mediabrowser
So I set up my first WHS several months ago, but it never occured to me that would work with MB! I even already have that port forwarded. Too obvious I guess.

Good tip about those routers, oman.

Last edited by leebo; 07-02-2014 at 10:41 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-04-2014, 10:20 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 820 Post(s)
Liked: 257
I found out that my Netgear router has a built in Dynamic DNS functionality through NO-IP which seems to be working great.

A few questions for those that transcode:

1) Transcoding seems to be choppy at best. I am getting ok streaming performance when I set the player to 3mbps. I have Comcast 50mpbs upload and 10mpbs download (however, speedtest reveals I'm only getting 6mbps upload). I'm assuming the upload speed of my ISP is the limiting factor?

2) With that said, I rip to MKV and do a full BD rip. So the player is transcoding? (versus remuxing???). I ask this because I used handbrake for a few movies (brought the MKV file from 20-25GB to 2-3GB) and the player says that it is remuxing... furthermore, the player says that the bitrate for the smaller files are much lower (like 4kbps versus 27kbps)... does this mean that a BD file that has gone through handbrakes compression is much easier to stream versus a BD file that is a full rip (in all its glory). I honestly have been unable to tell the difference in quality when I play back the handbrake rip (3GB) versus the makeMKV rip (20-30GB). Any thoughts?

3) What do people set the transcoding setting to within mediabrowser server? I set mine to auto... is this a limiting factor?

Last edited by jhughy2010; 07-04-2014 at 10:26 AM.
Old 07-05-2014, 10:44 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhughy2010 View Post
I found out that my Netgear router has a built in Dynamic DNS functionality through NO-IP which seems to be working great.

A few questions for those that transcode:

1) Transcoding seems to be choppy at best. I am getting ok streaming performance when I set the player to 3mbps. I have Comcast 50mpbs upload and 10mpbs download (however, speedtest reveals I'm only getting 6mbps upload). I'm assuming the upload speed of my ISP is the limiting factor?

2) With that said, I rip to MKV and do a full BD rip. So the player is transcoding? (versus remuxing???). I ask this because I used handbrake for a few movies (brought the MKV file from 20-25GB to 2-3GB) and the player says that it is remuxing... furthermore, the player says that the bitrate for the smaller files are much lower (like 4kbps versus 27kbps)... does this mean that a BD file that has gone through handbrakes compression is much easier to stream versus a BD file that is a full rip (in all its glory). I honestly have been unable to tell the difference in quality when I play back the handbrake rip (3GB) versus the makeMKV rip (20-30GB). Any thoughts?

3) What do people set the transcoding setting to within mediabrowser server? I set mine to auto... is this a limiting factor?
First, a few questions:

1. Are you streaming within your home network, or out over the Internet?
2. What are you using to play the files? MB Theater? Roku? The Android or IOS app?
3. What is the bitrate of the files you are playing?

Also, to clarify, my understanding is that transcoding is the act of taking the original file and altering the bitrate, then playing it out to a player. Remuxing is the act of taking two or more files, and combining them into one. Say you have a video file and an audio file. You mux them together into a single file with video and audio.

I believe MB and Plex typically transcode, but only if either the bitrate of the original file is too high for the player, or it's in a format the player can not play (in which case it's converted into a different format).

Last edited by leebo; 07-05-2014 at 10:51 AM.
Old 07-05-2014, 01:30 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by leebo View Post
First, a few questions:

1. Are you streaming within your home network, or out over the Internet?
2. What are you using to play the files? MB Theater? Roku? The Android or IOS app?
3. What is the bitrate of the files you are playing?

Also, to clarify, my understanding is that transcoding is the act of taking the original file and altering the bitrate, then playing it out to a player. Remuxing is the act of taking two or more files, and combining them into one. Say you have a video file and an audio file. You mux them together into a single file with video and audio.

I believe MB and Plex typically transcode, but only if either the bitrate of the original file is too high for the player, or it's in a format the player can not play (in which case it's converted into a different format).
Thanks for your response:

I am doing both... streaming within home network and out of home network. MB server is on my HTPC/server. The HTPC/server has WMC and I believe there is no transcoding being done because the server is on the same OS as the WMC... anyhow, I also stream via my home network to two other computers that both have the Windows 8.1 metro app (MB3). One of those computers is a laptop that I often take to work and just recently have been trying to watch a movie or two on. I have a galaxy s5 that I have watched a few movies on (have to reduce the stream to 850kbps).

I've noticed that there are more options when using the web browser to stream at work. I have tried the 1080p/5mbps quality setting and it is only a little choppy. If I pause it for about five minutes, walk away, then come back I get a few solid minutes of smooth playback. This must have something to do with the buffer. I am ultimately thinking that the limiting factor must be my upload speed from my ISP. I did a speed test the other night and I was getting 6mbps upload speed, however, I getting choppy playback with anything over 4mbps.

A few files that I have encoded with handbrake have a bitrate of 4mbps. Other files that are full BD rips are up there in the 20-30mbps bitrate. This is one of the reasons I was thinking that an encoded video might be easier to transcode.

On a side note, my full BD rips are saying that they are being transcoded whilst my encoded BD rips are saying they are being remuxed (this is during playback remotely, via MB3 in the web browser).

Thanks for your help and info, this is all very new to me.
Old 07-05-2014, 06:10 PM
AVS Special Member

Well, they're using "muxing" in a way I'm not familiar with, but that doesn't mean much.

Anyway, when away from home, try using the 720p setting. And if your home upload speed is typically around 6Mbps, set it to 4 or less. I'm assuming you're not uploading anything else at the same time. I envy you. I only get 4Mbps up.

Maybe you can help me. How do you use a web browser to access MB3 when you're away from home? that was suggested to me earlier this week, but not explained. Do you simply type in your home wan IP address followed by the port?
Old 07-06-2014, 05:37 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Well, they're using "muxing" in a way I'm not familiar with, but that doesn't mean much.

Anyway, when away from home, try using the 720p setting. And if your home upload speed is typically around 6Mbps, set it to 4 or less. I'm assuming you're not uploading anything else at the same time. I envy you. I only get 4Mbps up.

Maybe you can help me. How do you use a web browser to access MB3 when you're away from home? that was suggested to me earlier this week, but not explained. Do you simply type in your home wan IP address followed by the port?
Yeah I'm not familiar with the muxing that is refered to in transcoding either. I am only able to set it to 4-5mbps but it still looks a little grainy with these settings. I would really like to get the comcast package that allows for 20mbps (I find that I have been watching a lot of movies remotely).

The web browser was the best way to go IMO. I like the Windows 8.1 app that MB3 released as well but it is not as informative and doesn't allow the full control like the web browser.

You simply enter in your IP or your home server address. I used NO-IP to make an address. For example: http://yourwebaddressorIPaddress:8096/mediabrowser
Old 03-05-2015, 08:32 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked: 21
Media Browser Theater seems to be hosed with the latest server release. Not much talk here on AVS anymore, tried posting on MB forums with no response.

Is anyone still using MB Theater without problems??
Old 03-05-2015, 09:01 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 599 Post(s)
Liked: 410
Quote:
Originally Posted by gmanhdtv View Post
Did anyone ever use MB Theater without problems

Looking at the project and my guess at the number of people running different things, theater makes sense to take a backseat. The server has too much priority to take a backseat to the frontend. If your PC is MB Theater "ready" (meaning it's probably a desktop intel w/ AMD or Nvidia GPU) then it's certainly up to snuff for running Kodi w/ the mediabrowser add-on for the interim. Throw an advanced settings xml file into userdata that sends all video to MPC-HC after setting up madvr w/ lav inside mpc-hc. Or if you weren't looking to theater for madvr and just wanted a nice interface kodi-mb will get you there with a lot of cool extras for controlling playback (like pause/stop/rw/ff as well as navigation controls for the UI from any web browser as well as nifty android/ios remotes as well as standard WMC remote mappings and a lot of other possibilities that no other frontend may ever touch)
Old 03-06-2015, 12:03 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Media Browser Theater seems to be hosed with the latest server release. Not much talk here on AVS anymore, tried posting on MB forums with no response.

Which version is "the latest"? Are you referring to using it in your home network, or out? I haven't had issues using it in. I use a VPN and have never been able to connect to either MB nor Plex from outside.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk
Old 03-06-2015, 08:11 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

It works perfect for me. I mainly use MBC for my theater though and for my bedroom I use Chromecast with my smartphone. Some family use Roku remote access without a problem.

What's your issue?
Old 03-06-2015, 08:30 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
It works perfect for me. I mainly use MBC for my theater though and for my bedroom I use Chromecast with my smartphone. Some family use Roku remote access without a problem.

What's your issue?
Server is working fine as far as I can tell. Some movies (over 250 on server) work other's result in the dreaded "error processing request". System was working fine before the last server update as I had the system off for maintenance and server update message was active when I restarted the system.

I used MB Classic for years, and MB Theater has been "hit or miss" since day one, but as this was an alpha project I expected that. Many posts concerning this error on the MB forum under the "Theater" section.

As I stated before, not much discussion of MB Theater anymore on AVS all movies on my server will play on any PC using TMT6 over the network.

Tried re-installing server as well as theater with no joy. Basically screwed unless the MB team come up with a fix, would love to use a Roku3 but as my main theater is projection with a 122" wide scope screen setup with 7.2 surround I would hate to give up the HD audio because of the Roku.

Any help is greatly appreciated.

Glenn
Old 03-06-2015, 08:48 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Server is working fine as far as I can tell. Some movies (over 250 on server) work other's result in the dreaded "error processing request". System was working fine before the last server update as I had the system off for maintenance and server update message was active when I restarted the system.

I used MB Classic for years, and MB Theater has been "hit or miss" since day one, but as this was an alpha project I expected that. Many posts concerning this error on the MB forum under the "Theater" section.

As I stated before, not much discussion of MB Theater anymore on AVS all movies on my server will play on any PC using TMT6 over the network.

Tried re-installing server as well as theater with no joy. Basically screwed unless the MB team come up with a fix, would love to use a Roku3 but as my main theater is projection with a 122" wide scope screen setup with 7.2 surround I would hate to give up the HD audio because of the Roku.

Any help is greatly appreciated.

Glenn
I feel your pain. This is why I exclusively use MBC for my theater. I have the external player set to MPC-HC with madVR to the adjustments to 24Hz. It works like a charm!
Old 03-06-2015, 09:23 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
I feel your pain. This is why I exclusively use MBC for my theater. I have the external player set to MPC-HC with madVR to the adjustments to 24Hz. It works like a charm!

Does that work with the Cinema plug in for playing intro's and trailers?
Old 03-06-2015, 09:56 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Guebert View Post
Does that work with the Cinema plug in for playing intro's and trailers?
Yes it does... I don't use trailers but I use intro's and it works great. I recently disabled intro's for my profile however because it was causing issues with family using Roku.
Old 03-06-2015, 10:06 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 576 Post(s)
Liked: 2407
I'm still rocking MB. All hail the King baby. But i use plex on the ipad... because ipad and iphone for MB are not as good. Hopefully version 2 of those apps is improved and supports MB connect.

-

"Too much is almost enough. Anything in life worth doing is worth overdoing. Moderation is for cowards."
Old 03-06-2015, 10:25 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 347 Post(s)
Liked: 134
Quote:
Which version is "the latest"? Are you referring to using it in your home network, or out? I haven't had issues using it in. I use a VPN and have never been able to connect to either MB nor Plex from outside.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk
This is one of the biggest features of MB, and quite works wonderfully for me and for many others. The folks over on the MB forums are usually very helpful with problems like this. You could also probably ask around here for help. Getting it to stream outside your home network should not be terribly difficult once someone has a look-see.
Old 03-07-2015, 04:37 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Did some experimenting with 2 movies today. Currently all moves are stored as iso format which has never been a problem before. Deleted the 2 iso's from the server, re-encoded both with make mkv and they played back with no issue.

Looks like MB Theater or server has developed a bug mounting iso files. Looks like I may as well stop being lazy and convert my files to mkv.

Any tips on how to streamline make mkv would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Glenn
Old 03-07-2015, 04:56 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Did some experimenting with 2 movies today. Currently all moves are stored as iso format which has never been a problem before. Deleted the 2 iso's from the server, re-encoded both with make mkv and they played back with no issue.

Looks like MB Theater or server has developed a bug mounting iso files. Looks like I may as well stop being lazy and convert my files to mkv.

Thanks,

Glenn
MakeMKV can be almost silly simple if you are not concerned with going through and tweaking. Just select the stream you want to rip and then go. What are you looking for in "streamlining" the process?
Old 03-07-2015, 05:41 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aryn Ravenlocke View Post
MakeMKV can be almost silly simple if you are not concerned with going through and tweaking. Just select the stream you want to rip and then go. What are you looking for in "streamlining" the process?
Over 250 movies to convert. Is there a way to batch convert?
Old 03-07-2015, 05:55 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 510 Post(s)
Liked: 443
Quote:
You can batch file it with the command line makemkv, but unless your iso files are already just the main movie, audio, and subs, I wouldn't recommend it. Main movie titles aren't consistent across BR, especially discs from lionsgate.

Looky here!
Old 03-07-2015, 07:19 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Quote:

Thanks,

Glenn
Yes all my movies are just the main title plus HD audio track. No mounting for MB3.

Makemkv is what I use exclusively. It's easy, however I don't think there is any way around it for you to not individualy convert each file.
Old 03-07-2015, 07:33 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Yes all my movies are just the main title plus HD audio track. No mounting for MB3.

Makemkv is what I use exclusively. It's easy, however I don't think there is any way around it for you to not individualy convert each file.
Thanks to all for the input. Oh well a good time to review the collection, convert as necessary and possibly say good buy to others.

I have hope for MB Server and Theater, part of the development pain, aren't hobbies supposed to be fun???
Old 03-07-2015, 08:24 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
There are two programs I found useful for batch converting that made use of a ver straight-forward GUI for those not wanting to use the command line. I converted my entire library of over 2,000 ISOs that way.

MKV Batch Converter

and

Movies 2 MKV

Both programs have their strengths. I used a combination of the two. They are very simple to understand and use.
Old 03-15-2015, 03:06 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aryn Ravenlocke View Post
Quote:

Okay, really need some help here. Converting the movies from iso to mkv is working great except.....................subtitles. Movies like Avatar, Captain America Winter Soldier, etc. do not show forced subtitles (ex French terrorists in the beginning of Captain America) . The subtitles work fine if I use an external player such as TMT6, but then again I can't get MBT to automount selected movies when using external player. The player starts but shows no disk files under the virtual drive.

Really frustrated that my elegant MBT experience has turned into a nightmare!

Any help solving these issues is greatly appreciated, I prefer to use the internal player as it was great in the past. Open to all solutions

Thanks

Glenn
Old 03-15-2015, 03:50 PM

Quoted: 102 Post(s)
Liked: 43
Quote:
Okay, really need some help here. Converting the movies from iso to mkv is working great except.....................subtitles. Movies like Avatar, Captain America Winter Soldier, etc. do not show forced subtitles (ex French terrorists in the beginning of Captain America) . The subtitles work fine if I use an external player such as TMT6, but then again I can't get MBT to automount selected movies when using external player. The player starts but shows no disk files under the virtual drive.

Any help solving these issues is greatly appreciated, I prefer to use the internal player as it was great in the past. Open to all solutions

Thanks

Glenn
Using external .srt files is possible. I have some movie ripped with MakeMKV where I failed to select the correct subtitle track. Adding an .srt file is not as elegant but is hardly shameful. They are fairly easy to find online.
Old 03-15-2015, 03:51 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Some movies, like Winter Soldier, do not actually use Blu-ray forced subtitles. Instead, it is another english track that is NOT forced that the Blu-ray menus will select automatically for you. There is no automated way of finding this out.

You will have to manually find this track when making the MKV file. It is probably the very last PGS track, but I could be wrong.
Old 03-15-2015, 07:59 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by maxleung View Post
Some movies, like Winter Soldier, do not actually use Blu-ray forced subtitles. Instead, it is another english track that is NOT forced that the Blu-ray menus will select automatically for you. There is no automated way of finding this out.

You will have to manually find this track when making the MKV file. It is probably the very last PGS track, but I could be wrong.
I understand your point, but how would TMT6 be able to correctly play the subtitle track from the same mkv file if it was missing?
Old 03-15-2015, 10:22 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked: 16
That depends on whether TMT6 is set up to automatically play subtitles. It's probably playing the first subtitle it sees automatically. Depending on which one you chose to put in the MKV when you remuxed it.

You can configure players like MPC-HC to play forced subtitles, or the first english subtitle track.
Old 03-16-2015, 10:29 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Thanks

Glenn
For now I am going to continue to convert the movies with MakeMKV. I downloaded and installed Plex Server as well as Plex Home Theater, although it is a little different from MBT, it just flat works, subtitles and all with the MKV files.

I will continue to update MB Server and Theater in hopes that the problem will be eventually solved. First time I have played around with Plex and it seems stable and will meet my needs at this time. Don't get me wrong, I love MB and have been using it for years back when "classic" was part of Windows Media Center. I am sure the team at MB3 are hard at work with the various platforms they support, but for me it is all about movies that will stream and work consistently in my dedicated home theater, and after a day playing with Plex, I like it.
Old 03-16-2015, 11:42 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 787 Post(s)
Liked: 439
I've always had trouble with Plex Home Theater when switched between WMC and PHT. It'll get stuck with a black screen and WMC audio in the background. PHT will be minimized and locked on the taskbar after killing WMC. I just stopped using PHT and use MBC instead.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Tags
Mediabrowser , Mediabrowser 3
taboola here