Would this be a good upgrade from a e2200 2.2 ghz cpu currently in my server? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 3 Old 01-31-2013, 04:29 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Need to know if a Intel Core 2 Quad Q9300 2.5Ghz 6MB L2 Cache 1333MHz Socket775 SLAWE SLAMX 64Bit Desktop OEM processor would be a good upgrade from a e 2200 2.2 cpu? Could grab it for $99 or so and was wondering if this is a decent step up... I know I3 and such are relatively cheap but this computer( m 9702 a4u was free and has been a rock solid server running whs 2011,and still has plenty of room to keep adding hard drives for my needs.

Just i've added some roku boxes and when I transcode thru Plex i see 95-100% cpu usage..Movie never pauses or anything,but I'm sure if kids tried to watch 2 movies thru Plex(2 different rokus at same time) it could be bad.. So wondering if throwing in a cpu like the one mentioned would give me decent headroom in you guys opinion,or is it a waste of time and I need to save up for a new machine to use as a server?

brickie

AM I THE ONLY OASIS IN THE DESERT OF STUPIDITY......" SIR BRICKENBOCKER"
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 Old 02-01-2013, 10:28 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 58
Quote:
Originally Posted by brickie View Post

Need to know if a Intel Core 2 Quad Q9300 2.5Ghz 6MB L2 Cache 1333MHz Socket775 SLAWE SLAMX 64Bit Desktop OEM processor would be a good upgrade from a e 2200 2.2 cpu? Could grab it for $99 or so and was wondering if this is a decent step up... I know I3 and such are relatively cheap but this computer( m 9702 a4u was free and has been a rock solid server running whs 2011,and still has plenty of room to keep adding hard drives for my needs.

Just i've added some roku boxes and when I transcode thru Plex i see 95-100% cpu usage..Movie never pauses or anything,but I'm sure if kids tried to watch 2 movies thru Plex(2 different rokus at same time) it could be bad.. So wondering if throwing in a cpu like the one mentioned would give me decent headroom in you guys opinion,or is it a waste of time and I need to save up for a new machine to use as a server?

brickie

It probably depends on the quality of the original files. I had issues transcoding a single blu-ray sometimes with a Q8400. I upgraded to a i5-3570k and now I can transcode three blu-rays at a time without issue.
post #3 of 3 Old 02-01-2013, 06:22 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Thanks for opinion..I really prefer not to go that route..Would require changing the MB and don't want to do that right now...For the cost of the cpu I mentioned I guess I could get a WD media player and keep this simple.Will give it some thought.

AM I THE ONLY OASIS IN THE DESERT OF STUPIDITY......" SIR BRICKENBOCKER"
Reply Home Theater Computers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page