Home Theater PC - Win7 - XBMC - Dell Inspiron 530 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

Old 01-31-2013, 08:49 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I have a Dell Inspiron 530 that I'm trying to make a home theater pc out of. Intel P Dual Core 2.2 processor. 4 GB RAM. Windows 7 - 64 bit. I have AT&T Uverse and want to use this pc as a DVR. Was thinking about using a plugin that is available via XBMC. Question is what type of video card should I use and what type of tv capture card should I use? I have one PCIE slot open and two PCI slots. Not sure if I should find two cards that have HDMI or not. The Uverse box has HDMI ... and so does my TV. I'm good with only being able to capture in 720, just want to make sure the capture card and video card I get isn't overkill. Also concerned with audio ... All I have on the tv that the htpc will be connected to is a soundbar. Would much rather use the soundbar than the speakers in that Vizio LCD.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-01-2013, 02:46 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked: 18
You should read this other thread as this poster also has the 530. I'll venture to say you also have a PCIe X 16 slot for a decent $20 video card... so reading there you know my recommendations.

As for your having UVerse you're screwed. Now, maybe you know that their IPTV system isn't compatible with anything on the market since they want tyou to be slaved to their DVR box(es). You did mention capture, which you should look at Hauppauge HD 1212. That's it. Although, you could use an OTA ATSC tuner and an antenna on the PC.

Good luck.