Looking for a simple media trim/cut tool for AVC/DTS (MKV container) - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 12 Old 02-01-2013, 08:15 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Club Gold

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 15

I know years ago, there wasn't any way to directly cut/trim media files that contained DTS audio.  I just checked today thinking by now there should be several tools that do this for free or shareware products.  To my surprise, I STILL can find anything that could does this.  Even VideoRedo TV Suite seems to have purposefully limited this capability until they get DTS licensing sorted out.

Can someone offer any suggestions that dont introduce several extra unnecessary steps with multiple tools or time-consuming re-encoding tools?  I just need something simple that does the trim job in one quick step.

Can your HTPC Media Center / DVR Do this??

SageTV: Unrestricted full-quality 12 tuner HD Premium Cable recording, including "On Demand" in HD + OTA ATSC + DVB-S2 + Blu-ray/HD-DVD serving 5 clients.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 Old 02-02-2013, 04:01 AM
AVS Club Gold

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 177 Post(s)
Liked: 358
mkvmerge GUI ...?
post #3 of 12 Old 02-02-2013, 10:47 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Club Gold

Thanks for replying renethx.  Last I checked, MKVmerge GUI isn't a media file trimming/cutting tool.  Im just looking for a simple cutting tool that can easily trim/cut parts off several media files (similar to how Videoredo works).  The only way I know how to do it requires multiple steps and multiple tools (MKVmerge being one of them); which isn't feasible for trimming several mkvs.

I'm pretty sure there still isn't any tool that can do this; but just wanted to be sure.

SageTV: Unrestricted full-quality 12 tuner HD Premium Cable recording, including "On Demand" in HD + OTA ATSC + DVB-S2 + Blu-ray/HD-DVD serving 5 clients.
post #4 of 12 Old 02-02-2013, 12:30 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 142 Post(s)
Liked: 211
I used TsMuxser for trim and cut before. I have no problem with even the DTS-HD track.
MKANET likes this.
post #5 of 12 Old 02-02-2013, 12:47 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Club Gold

Oh ... i didnt think about that!  I forgot that tsmuxer can cut too.  That might be my only option if I want to do it in just one tool.

post #6 of 12 Old 02-02-2013, 01:26 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 33
Quote:
Originally Posted by MKANET View Post

The only way I know how to do it requires multiple steps and multiple tools (MKVmerge being one of them); which isn't feasible for trimming several mkvs.

I'm pretty sure there still isn't any tool that can do this; but just wanted to be sure.

What exactly do you mean by "trimming" and "cutting" and what is the difference?

MKVmerge can arbitrarily split and join MKV files, so you can certainly take any MKV file and cut out bits that you don't want. But if you need multiple segments cut out, it is a tedious process since MKVmerge can only make one split per run.
post #7 of 12 Old 02-02-2013, 01:47 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Club Gold

See VideoRedo for an example.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jim2100 View Post

What exactly do you mean by "trimming" and "cutting" and what is the difference?

MKVmerge can arbitrarily split and join MKV files, so you can certainly take any MKV file and cut out bits that you don't want. But if you need multiple segments cut out, it is a tedious process since MKVmerge can only make one split per run.

post #8 of 12 Old 02-02-2013, 01:54 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 33
Quote:

See VideoRedo for an example.

See dictionary for definition of "exactly".
post #9 of 12 Old 02-02-2013, 01:54 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 94 Post(s)
Liked: 209
AVIDeMux may be able to as it does stream copy. Limited to 'i' frames though.
post #10 of 12 Old 02-02-2013, 01:58 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Club Gold

I just tried the latest version of TsMuxer.  How do you trim or cut parts of the video without seeing what your cutting?  The version I use doesnt have a preview display.  I wonder if there's another tool that has the ability to see what youre actually cutting.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Foxbat121 View Post

I used TsMuxser for trim and cut before. I have no problem with even the DTS-HD track.

post #11 of 12 Old 02-02-2013, 02:54 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Club Gold

For those of you interested in doing the same thing as me... simple cutting tool for mkvs with DTS, it looks like SolveigMM Video Splitter 3 is about as good as it gets.  It does exactly what I wanted it to; and, it doesnt have the bloat that encoding/editing software offers.  Plus, it lets you keep the original container; such as MKV.  Basically.. just like videoredo without the DTS limit.

The only issue I have right out of the box is it seems to be kind of slow when FF/REW through the video to select start/stop points.

post #12 of 12 Old 02-04-2013, 08:55 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 142 Post(s)
Liked: 211
Quote:

I just tried the latest version of TsMuxer.  How do you trim or cut parts of the video without seeing what your cutting?  The version I use doesnt have a preview display.  I wonder if there's another tool that has the ability to see what youre actually cutting.

I use my video player to locate the time stamp and put it into the TsMuxer. Not the most convenient way but get the job done with the tools I have.
Reply Home Theater Computers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page