Windows 8 oem redownload iso - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 6 Old 02-01-2013, 09:44 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hey guys got a question. I received all the parts for my new htpc today. everything went together without a hitch. got to the part where i pop in the windows 8 oem disc to install, and i scratched the crap out of the disc with a kitchen knife i was using to cut tape with. Now the install will not succeed because the disc is damaged. Does anyone have insight as to what I can do to get a downloaded image of windows 8? I found a download tool on MS that allows you to enter your product key and it will initiate a download, but it says my product key isn't eligible for that download. Should I just torrent the disc since I'll use a valid PK anyway? Luckily the new htpc runs linux really well
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old 02-01-2013, 11:26 PM

Liked: 32
Depending on where you got the OEM disc from, contact them, and they may honor a replacement. Now the other way around, is to download the .iso for Win 8, then call Microsoft, and be honest that you are unable to activate on the original disc, due to it was scratched, but you have the OEM key available. You may want to ask over at majorgeeks.com, due to there is available from Microsoft, the true iso for Windows 7, that will not activate until you put in the key, so there has to be a public way of also getting 8 the same way, without having a MSDN or technet subscription.
post #3 of 6 Old 02-02-2013, 05:39 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked: 169
Here is the filename to look for: en_windows_8_x64_dvd_915440.iso

Then check that it is valid using SHA-1: 1CE53AD5F60419CF04A715CF3233F247E48BEEC4
thefunnyman likes this.

post #4 of 6 Old 02-02-2013, 05:42 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by gregzoll View Post

Depending on where you got the OEM disc from, contact them, and they may honor a replacement. Now the other way around, is to download the .iso for Win 8, then call Microsoft, and be honest that you are unable to activate on the original disc, due to it was scratched, but you have the OEM key available. You may want to ask over at majorgeeks.com, due to there is available from Microsoft, the true iso for Windows 7, that will not activate until you put in the key, so there has to be a public way of also getting 8 the same way, without having a MSDN or technet subscription.

I'm sure Microsoft won't have a problem this. They're happy for every Win8 activation they can get.
post #5 of 6 Old 02-02-2013, 01:17 PM - Thread Starter

Liked: 10
Thanks for all the tips! I was able to work it all out and get windows 8 on there. Now i have new stupid problems. I tried out xbmc with nextpvr backend, and the performance is absolutely horrible when viewing live ota content. video stutters all over the place and the experience is horrible. Another crazy thing i realized (my own fault for not researching ahead of time), but I have no option to install windows media center unless I upgrade to "windows 8 pro" for another 100 bucks, then I get the privilege of spending an additional 10 just to get wmc. I honestly just thought it was just a 10 dollar upgrade from my oem copy. I just want to say that I'm really glad I decided to opt for the OS upgrade so i could have less features. I guess my best bet at this point is to hopefully find a way to make xbmc/nextpvr behave and give somewhat decent performance. So far this downgrade in software quality over my previous setup (an old laptop) isn't passing the Wife Acceptance Test. Anyone got any ideas on this one?
post #6 of 6 Old 02-02-2013, 02:28 PM

Liked: 32
Tweakui from http://www.thewindowsclub.com, still works with Windows 8. It allows you to do everything, but make changes to Internet Explorer.
Reply Home Theater Computers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page