IR transceiver in Windows 8 MCE - are the little lego tail lights supposed to have some function?? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 3 Old 02-02-2013, 02:39 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
So I've patched together a multimedia computer with surplus and salvage parts - and a few new ones - and managed to download and install Win8 64 bit and add the MCE option. I must say for the most part it is functioning OK, in light of the fact most of the drivers are "legacy" or "OEM reference".

Finally now the little IR transceiver that was packed with my ASUS Tuner Card - it's a little cylindrical object about the size of a small can of tomato paste cut in half at a 45 - functions and the nice MCE remote also does its job.

The tuner box also contained a couple little sticky-backed red nubbins on a long length (6') of cable, with a ca. 3mm jack that would appear to plug into one of the two holes on the back (?) of the tomato paste can. Two holes, two little red taillights with a matching jack., they fit the holes. "These must be some remote IR sensors" I thought. They were red.

But now that I have the PC tucked away where my wife can't see it and the IR transceiver is not out in the open, the MCE remote is temperamental. I have to hold it up in the air and approximate the line-of-sight to the "base" (tomato paste can) transceiver. The taillights / nubbins are perched in plain sight, but they don't appear to be responding to anything.

Am I mistaken about the function of the nubbins? Should I stretch a length of USB extension cable to get the "base" transceiver in plain sight? There is precious little (like zero) documentation on the transceiver and remote. I feel pretty fortunate most of the components are functioning, but it would be nice to understand what exactly I have.

Thanks in anticipation,
John in Pusheta Twp., near Wapakoneta, OH
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 Old 02-02-2013, 03:18 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 12
What you've got is an IR receiver and two IR transmitters. The transmitters can be stuck in front of other devices to allow that remote to control them.
bari_old_dad likes this.
post #3 of 3 Old 02-02-2013, 06:46 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked: 161
The tomato can is what picks up the IR from your remote. It needs to be in line-of-sight with your remote.

The sticky-backed red nubbins emit IR to other devices, usually a cable/sat set top box to change channels. You stick them over the IR receiver on the device you wish to control.
bari_old_dad likes this.

Reply Home Theater Computers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page