New HTPC - 3570K Need Recommendations and/or Confirmation - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 7 Old 02-02-2013, 09:35 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Long time stalker of the forum. After years on the sideline I am finally jumping in to build a WMC HTPC running a Ceton card.

Please take a look at what I have put together and let me know if I am good to order / make recommendations.

Primary use is DVR / live TV and streaming movies.

1) Need help choosing a remote (is RF any good?)
2) Are the Intel HD4000 graphics good enough or do I need to go discreet?
3) What modular PSU?

BTW, just signed up for Assassin's guide.

Thanks for all your help!

PCPartPicker part list: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/Bac6
Price breakdown by merchant: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/Bac6/by_merchant/
Benchmarks: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/Bac6/benchmarks/

CPU: Intel Core i5-3570K 3.4GHz Quad-Core Processor ($189.99 @ Microcenter)
Motherboard: ASRock Z77 Extreme4 ATX LGA1155 Motherboard ($129.99 @ Microcenter)
Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws X Series 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR3-1600 Memory ($84.99 @ Newegg)
Storage: OCZ Vertex 4 128GB 2.5" Solid State Disk ($121.74 @ Mwave)
Storage: Western Digital Red 3TB 3.5" 5400RPM Internal Hard Drive ($153.99 @ Adorama)
Storage: Western Digital Red 3TB 3.5" 5400RPM Internal Hard Drive ($153.99 @ Adorama)
Case: Silverstone SST-GD08B (Black) HTPC Case ($149.98 @ SuperBiiz)
Optical Drive: Asus BC-12B1ST/BLK/B/AS Blu-Ray Reader, DVD/CD Writer ($56.23 @ Amazon)
Operating System: Microsoft Windows 8 Professional (OEM) (64-bit) ($135.98 @ Outlet PC)
Keyboard: Logitech K400 Wireless Slim Keyboard w/Touchpad ($34.99 @ Newegg)
Other: Ceton InfiniTV 4 Quad-tuner Card ($199.00)
Total: $1410.87
(Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available.)
(Generated by PCPartPicker 2013-02-02 23:34 EST-0500)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 02-02-2013, 10:06 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 39
You don't need a 3570k for DVR and media serving purposes unless you are live transcoding (Plex).. Just get an Ivy Bridge i3 and you will be good.

And yes, the HD4000 is perfect for your needs.
post #3 of 7 Old 02-02-2013, 10:10 PM

Liked: 10
That looks like it will be quite a bit more powerful than you need for your stated use, so you may be able to save some money. Unless you are needing to perform on the fly encoding of high bit rate files for playback on tablets and smart phones, I don't think you need much in the way of a processor. I use a Celeron G540, and while it is the weakest link in the machine, it has plenty of headroom for my uses. However, the most demanding task I ask of the HTPC is WMC TV via a networked HDHomerun. I don't do much recording and it is only a two tuner card, but the CPU has no trouble at all here.

For the remote, I just use a simple Logitech wireless keyboard and mouse to run XBMC. I also have my Android phone configured as a remote, but the keyboard and mouse is just so much easier.

The Intel 4000 can bitstream audio and I believe it smoothly handles playback of just about everything. I have a GTX 650 Ti that I bought first with the intention of making an older computer bitstream capable. Had I known that I would be replacing everything, I would have saved the money and run integrated video that is bitstream capable.

I'll leave the PSU response to someone with more knowledge.

Your choices:
-CPU - likely far more powerful than you'll need.
-Motherboard - seems fine. I use the same chipset on an Asus board.
-Memory - probably overkill, but ram is dirt cheap. I went with 8gb and even that is probably overkill.
-OS drive - excellent choice! I run the same one and it was my first SSD. I am very impressed with the performance.
-Storage - good choices.
-Case - Expensive, but a good looking case is important if the box is going to be visible. I was able to run a longer HDMI cable and get my HTPC out of the theater room (in a closet). This allowed me to use a large, slightly loud case. Is this an option for you?
-Optical - looks fine to me.
-OS - I bought Windows 7 pro, full retail from ebay for the same price. You do have to watch out for the black market stuff if you go this route. I was interested in playing with Windows 8, but I didn't think the HTPC was the right machine for me to learn a new OS. I'm not sure if everything is sorted out with Windows 8 yet, but I can tell you that working with Windows 7 was an excellent experience. Everything worked out of the box; requiring no codecs, no troubleshooting or the need to tweak. This was the most important aspect for me! I just don't have the time any more to spend hours upon end researching work arounds.
-Keyboard - Looks fine to me. If you decide not to go with a remote and use a keyboard and mouse primarily, I would probably opt for an actual mouse instead of a touch pad.
-Tuner - I hear good things about the Ceton.
post #4 of 7 Old 02-03-2013, 07:41 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks for all the help guys.

Reason for the more powerful CPU was for running showanalyzer to skip commercials and also hook up a few Ceton Echo Extenders.

Aclos3 - noted on Windows 7. I will stick with that. Need stability for sure. (Has to be wife approved or it gets yanked! Haha)

Any thoughts on PSU and remote?

Thanks!
post #5 of 7 Old 02-03-2013, 08:58 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 74 Post(s)
Liked: 146
For power supplies, any of these will work nicely depending on your budget:

Antec NEO ECO 400C 400W Continuous Power ATX12V 2.3 / EPS12V 80 PLUS Certified Active PFC Power Supply $39.99 (on-sale) + free shipping
PC Power and Cooling Silencer Mk III Series 400W Modular Power Supply $59.99 after rebate (made by Seasonic, nice modular PSU) + $3.99 shipping

The first one is a really good deal. I've used it in HTPCs and it works very well. I have the 2nd one in my HTPC and I like that it's modular and built by Seasonic.

This one is no-frills and usually a good deal when others are not on sale:

SeaSonic SS-300ET Bronze 300W ATX12V V2.3 80 PLUS BRONZE Certified Active PFC Power Supply - OEM $38.99 + $5.99 shipping

post #6 of 7 Old 02-04-2013, 09:02 AM

Liked: 11
Go with the 3570K. Its what I'm running and even with the stock cooler, its practically inaudible. Also, you can under clock just as well as over clock too to save the power for later down the road when you are dealing with 4k streams (may not think so now, but look 3 years down the road when the chip will still have the grunt to handle it). I have the same chip. But I do some casual gaming and it makes everything else very snappy. Only wish I had an SSD.
post #7 of 7 Old 02-04-2013, 02:54 PM - Thread Starter

Alright guys, have been going through a few iterations and the more thought I put into the build the more complicated it has become...

HTPC is going to be visible, needs to be quiet and also be a max of 5" tall... (I told you it was getting complicated)

Below is a revised listing of parts.

Questions:
1) I have a hunch the Ripjaw memory with heatsink may be a bit too tall, any recommendations?
2) I chose the Lite-On Blue-Ray writer since assassins guide said it was short (the ML03 case has tight constraints)
3) Any other cases that may fit the bill? (possible Realan E-I7 mini-ITX HTPC?)
4) I added the HDHomerun Dual to pick up local OTA and prioritize that over the Ceton/Comcast feed.
5) May need to add some quiet 80mm fans.
5) Any other thoughts or ideas?

Thanks again!

PCPartPicker part list: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/BucG
Price breakdown by merchant: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/BucG/by_merchant/
Benchmarks: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/BucG/benchmarks/

CPU: Intel Core i5-3570K 3.4GHz Quad-Core Processor ($189.99 @ Microcenter)
Motherboard: ASRock Z77 Extreme4-M Micro ATX LGA1155 Motherboard ($129.99 @ SuperBiiz)
Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws X Series 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR3-1600 Memory ($84.99 @ Newegg)
Storage: Samsung 840 Pro Series 256GB 2.5" Solid State Disk ($226.99 @ Mac Mall)
Case: Silverstone ML03B HTPC Case ($59.99 @ Amazon)
Power Supply: SeaSonic X Series 400W 80 PLUS Gold Certified ATX12V / EPS12V Power Supply ($130.17 @ Newegg)
Optical Drive: Lite-On iHBS212-08 Blu-Ray/DVD/CD Writer ($114.98 @ Newegg)
Operating System: Microsoft Windows 7 Professional SP1 (OEM) (64-bit) ($135.62 @ Outlet PC)
Keyboard: Logitech K400 Wireless Slim Keyboard w/Touchpad ($33.99 @ Newegg)
Other: Ceton InfiniTV 4 Quad-tuner Card ($199.00)
Other: HDHomeRun DUAL - High Definition Digital TV Tuner ($89.99)
Total: $1703.68
(Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available.)
(Generated by PCPartPicker 2013-02-04 16:44 EST-0500)
Reply Home Theater Computers

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page