Best way to migrate from Unraid to Flexraid with Win 7? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

Old 02-04-2013, 09:24 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Hi all,
So I am wanting to migrate from Unraid to Flexraid for a number of reasons like consolidation, easier from me to run apps like Plex and download managers as I am a Windows guy..

My problem is how to efficiently migrate 13 drives worth of data over to Flexraid if I will be using the existing server.
I will be upgrading the montherboard, CPU, RAM to something current. Case,PS & cooling is still good.
I have an extra Win 7 license and do not need to worry about backups so WHS not needed.

It's about 8 TB of data on a mix of drives. From 500GB to 2TB drives.

I have 4 new 4TB external hard drives that I was planning to use for a 2nd server but then I decided to combine these for a number of good reasons.

If I plug the 4TB drives into existing PC and copy across the network it will probably about 1.5 weeks to complete.

Other ideas??????

Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-04-2013, 09:27 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 240 Post(s)
Liked: 1186
Should be pretty easy I'd think . Everything that's on your drives would still be there.

-

"Too much is almost enough. Anything in life worth doing is worth overdoing. Moderation is for cowards."
Old 02-04-2013, 09:29 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Why so long ? At 80 MB sec it wouldn't take that long ....

-

"Too much is almost enough. Anything in life worth doing is worth overdoing. Moderation is for cowards."
Old 02-04-2013, 10:15 AM - Thread Starter

Everthing will still be there but the file systems are not compatible I think.
Can you mount a RiserFS file system on a windows machine?

MFusick: I don't get anything like 80 MB sec coming from my Unraid server. Maybe 25-30 mb.
Old 02-04-2013, 10:51 AM
AVS Addicted Member

how come so slow ??? Is all unraid that slow ?

I can get over 100mb sec over LAN with my Flexraid server.

-

Old 02-04-2013, 01:10 PM - Thread Starter

From Unraid FAQ:
Some general guidance as to what typical users can expect (assuming gigabit networking), read speeds *from* your server and writes to non parity-protected drives (such as the Cache drive) should typically be between 22MB/s and 40MB/s, with some reports of 45MB/s.
Old 02-04-2013, 02:20 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 59
If you are are upgrading all the hardware anyways, why not just keep the Unraid server intact? Use that for all of your hard drive storage and then build a windows machine that just mounts the Unraid server. Wouldn't that be substantially easier? The only downside I can think of is slightly more power usage with using two machines.
Old 02-04-2013, 02:59 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 170 Post(s)
Liked: 183
Quote:
Originally Posted by lockdown571 View Post

If you are are upgrading all the hardware anyways, why not just keep the Unraid server intact? Use that for all of your hard drive storage and then build a windows machine that just mounts the Unraid server. Wouldn't that be substantially easier? The only downside I can think of is slightly more power usage with using two machines.
He's only upgrading part of the hardware. I went through a similar scenario several months ago. IIRC, I initially tried it with a Windows 7-based server but switched to WHS, but I don't recall exactly why. I do recall that I ran into all sorts of issues with my Supermicro SATA controllers in that they wouldn't initialize properly during POST for some strange reason. They worked fine in unRAID but would hang with a Windows install after adding a certain number of drives back into the array (I believe I was working with about 15 data drives at the time). What's really odd is that this would occur before the OS was even loaded, which made absolutely no sense.

In any case, I went through the exact scenario the OP described. I installed a new drive in a spare Windows PC and transferred the entire contents of a mapped unRAID drive to the newly formatted Windows drive. I installed my Windows OS on a new drive using the server hardware with the unRAID boot drive disconnected so I could test the drive with the data in the server environment. I just swapped out the new drive for the old, reconfigured the BIOS to boot from the new OS drive instead of the USB drive and fired it up to make sure everything worked. I'd then shut down the server, disconnect the OS drive, and reconfigure the server to boot from the unRAID flash drive. I seem to recall that I just deleted the configuration file from the flash drive to allow the array to start, but without parity and no nag messages about a drive missing. I'd install the old unRAID drive in the spare PC and format it.

I'd repeat the process by copying over one drive at a time until I had transferred all of the data, at least in theory anyway. The server would hang after swapping out about 7 or 8 drives and the reason is still a complete mystery to me. I went through this scenario a couple of times before I threw in the towel and returned everything to the original unRAID setup. I did, however, end up upgrading to the latest 5.0-rc version of unRAID, which was much better than the previous version I had been using (4.7, IIRC).

BTW, version 5.0-rc has a Plex plug-in, among lots of others, including bit-t0rrents.

One recommendation I'd make is that if your motherboard uses a Realtek NIC I would definitely upgrade it to an Intel NIC (the EXPI9301CT is the preferred NIC). It should maximize your transfer rates and is far better than the POS Realtek chips used by most motherboard manufacturers. Regardless of which NIC you use, it's going to be a tedious and time consuming process. Depending on the size of your drives and the transfer rates you achieve, expect to be able to transfer 2-3 drives worth of data per day. I'd start a transfer in the morning and it would be complete when I got home from work. I'd start a 2nd transfer at that time and, if I was lucky, it would be done before I went to bed. I'd then start a 3rd transfer and hope it would be completed before I left for work.
Old 02-04-2013, 04:44 PM - Thread Starter

So I tried removing 1 drive from the array and connecting it to a Win 7 machine but it will not show a drive letter.
Disk Management sees the drive but no drive letter is assigned nor can I assign one.

If I could access it this way, speed would greatly be improved as I could connect both new and old drives to PC and copy data from 1 to the other.

Does anyone know if this is possible?

Thanks!
Old 02-04-2013, 04:54 PM
AVS Addicted Member

um... coming from flexraid it is. But I am not sure about unraid or how it works. Is it not set as GDP ??

-

Old 02-04-2013, 05:03 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 34
Just google for reiserfs and windows. Here are some possibilities:

http://yareg.akucom.de/

http://www.acc.umu.se/~bosse/

http://p-nand-q.com/e/reiserfs.html

Alternatively, format a drive with NTFS from Windows, then boot a linux live distro which has read support for reiserfs and write support for NTFS, and copy the files under linux.
Old 02-04-2013, 05:15 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 31
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Walsh View Post

Everthing will still be there but the file systems are not compatible I think.
Can you mount a RiserFS file system on a windows machine?

MFusick: I don't get anything like 80 MB sec coming from my Unraid server. Maybe 25-30 mb.

Coming from my Unraid server is normally around 100-120MB for media files.
Old 02-04-2013, 06:00 PM - Thread Starter

Jim2100:
http://yareg.akucom.de/ works for me!!!

Thanks!
Old 02-04-2013, 08:46 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

So I tried removing 1 drive from the array and connecting it to a Win 7 machine but it will not show a drive letter.
Disk Management sees the drive but no drive letter is assigned nor can I assign one.

If I could access it this way, speed would greatly be improved as I could connect both new and old drives to PC and copy data from 1 to the other.

Does anyone know if this is possible?

Thanks!
Windows won't recognize a drive formatted with reiserfs, as unRAID drives are. You need to transfer the data from the server over your network. Linux will recognize reiserfs, but it won't work with NTFS so you're stuck either way.
Old 02-04-2013, 09:02 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 51 Post(s)
Liked: 241
Quote:
Originally Posted by captain_video View Post

Windows won't recognize a drive formatted with reiserfs, as unRAID drives are. You need to transfer the data from the server over your network. Linux will recognize reiserfs, but it won't work with NTFS so you're stuck either way.

Yep.

Another reason why I love FlexRaid.
Old 02-04-2013, 09:54 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Wrong on both counts:

1) http://yareg.akucom.de/

2) http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/NTFS-3G
Old 02-05-2013, 04:46 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 51 Post(s)
Liked: 241
Quote:
Originally Posted by jim2100 View Post

Wrong on both counts:

1) http://yareg.akucom.de/

2) http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/NTFS-3G

True. But you still need additional software to do this. In any event I hope the op gets everything ironed out.
Old 02-05-2013, 05:30 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by assassin View Post

True. But you still need additional software to do this. In any event I hope the op gets everything ironed out.
I wasn't aware that you could do this with the aid of additional software, but I should have figured there was an app out there that would let you do it. In any case, my original premise still stands as I was referring to a stock Windows and/or Linux PC without the use of special software. You can't just drop a reiserfs formatted disc into a stock Windows PC and expect Windows to be able to see it, let alone transfer files. The same goes for reading and writing to and from NTFS discs in Linux. Still, it's good to know that it can be done with the software that was referenced. I wish I had known about it when I was trying to convert from unRAID to FlexRAID.
Old 02-05-2013, 06:17 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Just copy data to your new drives and wait for as long as that takes.... What's a day to wait ???

-

Old 02-05-2013, 11:50 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

The same goes for reading and writing to and from NTFS discs in Linux.

Wrong again, about linux. Most linux distros include the NTFS-3G driver and/or ntfsprogs. So you can read and write to NTFS filesystems without installing anything.
Old 02-05-2013, 12:02 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Wrong again, about linux. Most linux distros include the NTFS-3G driver and/or ntfsprogs. So you can read and write to NTFS filesystems without installing anything.
Naah. I wasn't wrong, just mistaken. tongue.gif
Old 02-05-2013, 12:18 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Naah. I wasn't wrong, just mistaken. tongue.gif

My mistake rolleyes.gif
Old 02-05-2013, 01:52 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

My mistake rolleyes.gif
Not at all. Actually, I appreciate the correction and the feedback. It's all good. biggrin.gif
Old 02-09-2013, 05:43 PM - Thread Starter

What a mess I have made!
Best I can figure is that I did not plan/implement my Unraid folders very well. I think I messed up on the Split Level as I added drives over the years.
I have folders all over the place without any files, some with just the data and some with just the associated graphics etc..
This is going to take some time to clean up! Oy vey!

What also sucks is I copied over at least 7TB of data to the new external 4TB SATA drives and I discovered that the drives lose something in the configuration when removed from the external chasis.
I want these to be internal drives (it was MUCH cheaper to buy the 4TB drives in external chasis vs. plain internal drive.
I now have to copy all the contents off the external drive to a cleaned internal drive, then remove and install it in the PC and THEN I have to reinitialize the drive and format it. Now I can use it (:
Old 02-10-2013, 07:52 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mfusick View Post

Just copy data to your new drives and wait for as long as that takes.... What's a day to wait ???

This.

-

Old 02-10-2013, 07:53 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

What a mess I have made!
Best I can figure is that I did not plan/implement my Unraid folders very well. I think I messed up on the Split Level as I added drives over the years.
I have folders all over the place without any files, some with just the data and some with just the associated graphics etc..
This is going to take some time to clean up! Oy vey!

What also sucks is I copied over at least 7TB of data to the new external 4TB SATA drives and I discovered that the drives lose something in the configuration when removed from the external chasis.
I want these to be internal drives (it was MUCH cheaper to buy the 4TB drives in external chasis vs. plain internal drive.
I now have to copy all the contents off the external drive to a cleaned internal drive, then remove and install it in the PC and THEN I have to reinitialize the drive and format it. Now I can use it (:

Yeah I should have told you crack it open and format fresh the 4TB first.

-

Old 02-10-2013, 10:29 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 40
So what's the latest on this? Were you able to move your data over?
Old 02-11-2013, 07:37 AM
AVS Addicted Member

I think he's got stuff all over and trying to copy paste and consolidate but having issue with 4 TB MBR drive over USB not formatted to see out if its case.

-