bought intel atom mobo/cpu as an extender but can't get it to play well - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 24 Old 02-04-2013, 09:17 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Okay so I bought this board and cpu:

ASUS AT5IONT-I Intel Atom D525 (1.8GHz, dual core) BGA559 Intel NM10 Mini ITX Motherboard / CPU Combo

I want to use as an extender on a home network. It's a decent little pc but I can't figure out how to get it to play 720p. How do I set this up to maximize potential? Most of my collection is mostly dvd anyhow but I would like to play some hd youtube and some blu ray isos I have on my main htpc. The problem is it studders pretty bad on youtube 720p or above and also when streaming just standard dvd's from my other pc... I have pretty much come to the conclusion that it isn't going to work but I have read reviews of this board (mainly on newegg) where people say it does 720p and even 1080p if set up correctly. They don't elaborate on how though... I anyone has this board I would be interested to hear your thoughts and experiences with this set up.

I am using this with a SSD drive and 4gb of ram, win7.

Thank you!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 24 Old 02-04-2013, 09:44 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 16
I don't have the Atom... instead the E-350. Start by loading MPC-HC to see how well it plays since it has DXVA codecs included. After proving this out, grab the LAV filter for its SPLITTER, and the MPC-HC Stand Alone Filter for the MPVideoCodec.

These work under MediaPortal but WMC is sorta on its own -- be sure you have the latest video driver and uncheck ALL post processing options in the setup -- they just eat up iGPU.
post #3 of 24 Old 02-05-2013, 02:05 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Liked: 121
WMC is pretty easy to get it to launch an external player using this utility: http://mikinho.com/wmc/open-with/

My question is what software are you using to play these files (WMC? WMP?) and where are you playing them from (local? NAS? external HDD?) (after you get through Andrew's list)

post #4 of 24 Old 02-05-2013, 02:27 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 119 Post(s)
Liked: 273
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew Hornfeck View Post

I don't have the Atom... instead the E-350. Start by loading MPC-HC to see how well it plays since it has DXVA codecs included. After proving this out, grab the LAV filter for its SPLITTER, and the MPC-HC Stand Alone Filter for the MPVideoCodec.
These work under MediaPortal but WMC is sorta on its own -- be sure you have the latest video driver and uncheck ALL post processing options in the setup -- they just eat up iGPU.

I don't think DXVA is going to be smooth for HD video playback with a 2010 Atom, but I can't say for sure. The Intel GMA 3150 is probably going to trip over itself more than it helps

I think best bet for this would be software decode

Surely a 1.8GHz dual core w/ 4GB DDR2 667 can software decode 720p. Have you tried playing back a file locally from a usb drive?
post #5 of 24 Old 02-06-2013, 06:10 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Liked: 121
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark_Slayer View Post

I don't think DXVA is going to be smooth for HD video playback with a 2010 Atom, but I can't say for sure. The Intel GMA 3150 is probably going to trip over itself more than it helps

I think best bet for this would be software decode

Surely a 1.8GHz dual core w/ 4GB DDR2 667 can software decode 720p. Have you tried playing back a file locally from a usb drive?

It's an ION2 motherboard so no GMA3150.

post #6 of 24 Old 02-06-2013, 10:26 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by StardogChampion View Post

It's an ION2 motherboard so no GMA3150.

Missed that, I re-searched and found the right board

I've no experience with ION integrated, but driver/video decoder compatibility are going to be a must for stable playback
post #7 of 24 Old 02-06-2013, 12:39 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 30
If you can, return it and get a board with an i3-based Celeron (like the G620) - far faster, barely more expensive, barely more power usage. Atom is no longer compelling with how power efficient and cheap "real" CPUs have gotten.

Quality Assurance Manager, Ceton Corporation
post #8 of 24 Old 02-08-2013, 09:30 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

I can't return it and I'm not really worried either way. I was going to use it as an extender. I just need to figure out how to play 720p at least... I was trying to play youtube and it was studdering on 720p. Also when streaming from my main htpc over wifi regular dvd rips were lagging... From what I have read is properly set up this should be able to do what I want.
post #9 of 24 Old 02-08-2013, 09:54 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 12
I think for the ion platform you may want to look into coreavc for smooth playback of mkv. A few Years ago I had to use that to correctly offload to the GPU for smooth playback
post #10 of 24 Old 02-09-2013, 08:25 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

I'm not using mkv's though... I rip my dvd's to TS files.. And my blu ray's to iso. Yeah what you said about unloading to the gpu is what I have been reading. I just don't know how to do it. I never had to worry about this with the other pc so haven't done much research on it. Just getting started.
post #11 of 24 Old 02-09-2013, 11:52 AM

What player you using it may be a setting in the player to enable hardware acceleration.
post #12 of 24 Old 02-09-2013, 02:53 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

I'm just using WMC on win7 with MB. I haven't tried to stream iso's yet because the studdering was bad enough on youtube as it is.
post #13 of 24 Old 02-09-2013, 03:35 PM

YouTube if its still using flash as the player your atom ion system may be underpowered. I could never get anything flash or silver light based to play smooth on my TV in full screen. I think flash is dependent on CPU power. But I may be wrong.
post #14 of 24 Old 02-10-2013, 03:30 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by drtdiver View Post

YouTube if its still using flash as the player your atom ion system may be underpowered. I could never get anything flash or silver light based to play smooth on my TV in full screen. I think flash is dependent on CPU power. But I may be wrong.

I think the key is off loading to the gpu. I have read a bunch of reviews where people really knock this board/cpu to people who say that if set up correctly the thing works great. I have to spend the time to figure it out. I bought it as an extender and right now I don't really need it so I am not consumed by trying to figure it out 100%.
post #15 of 24 Old 02-11-2013, 05:06 AM

The board does need a lot of tinkering to get working smoothly. But even with GPU acceleration of flash video it will still not play YouTube very well. Its been a few years since I gave up on my atom/ion system. If you figure out anything let us know here I would like to dig my board out and put it to use.
post #16 of 24 Old 02-11-2013, 12:25 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 13
I, too, never had any success getting my Acer Revo 1600 (original ATOM/ION nettop) to play web-based video smoothly. It does a fine job with high-bitrate Blu-ray rips, though.

Scott R
--------------
I'd much rather watch a great movie in B&W at 240 lines of resolution than a lousy movie in 1080p with lossless audio.
post #17 of 24 Old 02-12-2013, 11:42 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by drtdiver View Post

The board does need a lot of tinkering to get working smoothly. But even with GPU acceleration of flash video it will still not play YouTube very well. Its been a few years since I gave up on my atom/ion system. If you figure out anything let us know here I would like to dig my board out and put it to use.

I will figure it out just have to read some more. I will post up when I figure it out.
post #18 of 24 Old 02-12-2013, 12:24 PM
AVS Special Member

I am new to this thread. Am I reading it right that you can turn a PC into a Windows Media Center Extender? How do I do that?
post #19 of 24 Old 02-12-2013, 12:29 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Liked: 230
post #20 of 24 Old 02-12-2013, 03:12 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pixelation View Post

I am new to this thread. Am I reading it right that you can turn a PC into a Windows Media Center Extender? How do I do that?

There was once a group attempting to reverse engineer some available extenders to compile a build that would function as a WMC extender

I don't think they ever made anything functional

http://softsled.codeplex.com/
https://github.com/FreeRDP/FreeRDP/wiki/Windows-Media-Center
post #21 of 24 Old 02-12-2013, 03:19 PM
AVS Special Member

Well, as far as media sharing goes. With Windows 7 running, I can always map the network drive and watch video and recordings. I don't need to watch DRM protected cable stuffs. It is the Live TV and recording in progress that I am interested. Thanks anyway!
post #22 of 24 Old 02-12-2013, 03:30 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pixelation View Post

Well, as far as media sharing goes. With Windows 7 running, I can always map the network drive and watch video and recordings. I don't need to watch DRM protected cable stuffs. It is the Live TV and recording in progress that I am interested. Thanks anyway!

Like this http://www.directv.com/technology/wholehome?lpos=Header:3 biggrin.gif
post #23 of 24 Old 02-13-2013, 08:42 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ascen5sion View Post

I will figure it out just have to read some more. I will post up when I figure it out.

Heck I saw a Rasberry Pi on youtube doing 1080p... If that thing can do it this board can. Besides Zotac has a htpc with this mobo/cpu and it comes with a blu ray. I can't imagine an out of the box blu ray player has the power of this mobo/cpu.
post #24 of 24 Old 02-13-2013, 11:48 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 17
Problem with Flash? Which browser are you using?
I have an Atom/Ion setup with madVR/LAV (lower end settngs) and it handles blu-ray rips fine, local or streamed.

Also, did you install nvidia drivers or are you using windows'?
Reply Home Theater Computers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page