DVDfab's new VidOn.me Set Top Box vs other solutions. - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 24 Old 02-05-2013, 08:01 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Please excuse my total noobness when it comes to this topic. I am getting sick of trying to keep track of all my blu-rays and trying to keep them out of my 4-year-old's and 2-year-old's hands. Also, it would be so much more convenient to be sitting in my home theater, press one button on my harmony one remote, have my entire library of blu-rays at my fingertips without having to even get up from the couch smile.gif I have started thinking about ripping all of my blu-rays and DVDs to an external hard drive and using something to play them.

I have heard good things about DVDFab as a copying/ripping software, and I saw on their website they have a "deal" going on right now that for $299 you get every piece of software they produce with lifetime free updates. They are also throwing in a new product that they call the "VidOn.me Set-Top Box" (they claim its a $99 value) It looks like this is a box that i will attach an external HD to via USB 2.0 and will then attach this box via HDMI to my audio/video receiver. I can't find any reviews on this product, as it looks like they won't even start shipping them till March 1st. The deal and all the specifications on this set top box are here: http://www.dvdfab.com/holiday-season-campaigns.htm Given the specs of this thing, does this sound like something that is legit and will work as I hope it would?

If this does not sound like a good solution for what I am wanting, can anybody give me some user-friendly potential solutions to what I am looking for? Ideally, I'd like for whatever I purchase to be able to play 3D blu-rays as well, but I've only got a few and don't watch them that often so its not a deal-breaker. I'm looking for something that isn't going to break the bank, which is why this $300 solution I mentioned above sounded attractive to me.

Any help would be much appreciated.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 24 Old 03-16-2013, 11:17 PM

Liked: 10
I purchased the dvdfab deal sometime ago. It came with a vidonme mini pc at the time. I really wasn't sure what to expect, however, I had used the software previously and the freebie was just a bonus. I didn't even use the minipc for several months. Once I did, I was mad that I hadn't tried it sooner. I had been putting all of our movies new and old on an external hard drive, however, in order to play them I had to connect the laptop to the tv. It was fine, but not practical or very convenient. Using the vidonme mini pc made movie night much more enjoyable!! However.....no remote..... I check dvdfab website periodically and when I saw that they were releasing a vidonme set top box, I was thrilled!!!! I will hook it up to my main tv in the family room and use the mini pc in other rooms, at friends houses or on the road in hotel rooms or wherever! You will not be disappointed. The software alone is more than worth the money!!! Hope this helps! wink.gif
post #3 of 24 Old 05-17-2013, 11:36 AM

I use DVDfab software regularly and I have no issues about it. The VidOn.Me Set Top Box looked like an attractive and useful piece of equipment. I placed my order for the unit sometime on 11 January 2013 with a promise for shipment in Feb 2013. Sometime in Feb I received an email from one of the people at DVDFab advising me the shipment was processed. A day or two later I received another email from DVDFab Support Team apologizing for the shipment delay and estimating the shipment to commence 1st March. I contacted the individual who advised me of the shipment for clarity, who repeated the advise of a shipment and requested me to be patient. Today 17.05.2013 I sent a second email requesting order cancellation and refund which I was advised it is not in the company's policy to refund an order once the shipment was processed. However, four months down the line the company could still not supply details regarding the shipment or an estimated delivery date. In a nutshell, I would not venture in that direction if I were any customer who values their money
post #4 of 24 Old 05-24-2013, 02:28 PM

go with a wd tv live box . i have had one for a year or 2 and works great. i ordered the vidon.me box because i wanted the dvdfab software . it took forever to get it because they were not made yet and were being made in china . i got it today and mine wont even work, and if you go to the dvdfab forums http://forum.dvdfab.com/forumdisplay.php?f=54 you will see other people complaints
post #5 of 24 Old 05-25-2013, 09:51 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked: 239
I received mine yesterday. Buggy mess is about all I can say.

Luckily it was free with my dvdfab subscription. I feel bad for anyone that paid for this mess

I have tried and used many of these boxes and haven't seen on as bad as this out if the box

3 - JTR 228's LCR (game room)
2 - DIY Sound Group V-8 Coaxials (game room)
4 - PSA Triax's (game room)
2 - SVS SB13+'s (living room)
1 - SVS SB12-NSD (bedroom)
post #6 of 24 Old 05-27-2013, 11:59 AM

Thanks all for your feedback. I checked out other recommended equipment including the suggested wd tv live box before I opted for the VidOn.me because of it's reported features and price. Maybe it was not a best decision. I have received tracking info though based on your experiences I'm now not really looking forward to it. The email included the following advise on BD sources

1. You can visit http://www.dvdfab.com/download.htm to download manual for using VidOn.me Set-Top Box;
2. We have added a new profile for the VidOn.me Set-Top Box in DVDFab 9, please choose VidOn.me > Settop Box profile to convert bd sources and then play the converted files on the Set-Top-Box;
3. When there is an update notice popup asking you to upgrade, please do it, which will take about 20 minutes; To ensure the success of the upgrade, during the upgrade process, please let it alone.

Maybe this upgrade can also solve other issues. Let me know if this advise helped.
post #7 of 24 Old 05-27-2013, 04:42 PM

I would send you my piece of junk for a cup of coffee and pack of gum. It is utterly horrible
post #8 of 24 Old 06-01-2013, 04:06 PM

I have been connected with Fang tango for a few years and all of their software products do work. Not withstanding user error, in my case.
I just received my New Set-top box and look forward to using it. we have many TV;s and many differences of what to watch. I am writing because of the statements about the WD Live system, which I also own for a few years, It is not the American dream one would think. I had one that ruined my external hard-drive , by me disconnecting the drive under power, (they say).. put a block on the drive that even the computer could not access! I thought about it and conferred with WD it seemed to be the Live box failure.
. I bought another one, hooked up to the drive and it worked. the older. 2yrs old no warranty unit?, I had copied my movies to a travel Hard drive, took it out to the RV and rigged up 12 volt power, plug in the other drive and the first old Live unit is working fine??. I don't know.. both are out of warranty so no help or answers.

Then recently, unplugged the 1.5 tb drive while powered, and this movie started all over again. Apparently, the WD breaks the code to the hard Drive and makes it unreadable (again) And further, the computer cannot over come this line of code, or eliminate it. I did buy a back-up for the terabyte drive although not totally it will save hours of reloading. as the solution was to REFORMAT the drive.. So, I have a 1.5 Terabyte un-useable, that has been reformatted and reloaded, and failed again and is waiting for a "great solution beside reformat," I like American companies/oversea combos, but with WD, you want to consider to buy back-up drives to protect the back-up of the back-up to save our precious time and not lose data and work... I hope Vid-on-me does not have these problems, and will issue the do's and don'ts for User Error crowd, unless it is just me and not a crowd at all..Tks
post #9 of 24 Old 06-11-2013, 09:27 AM

I purchased one of these VidOn.me set top boxes. Ordered and paid for it in February. Finally arrived beginning of June. I hooked it up and went through the setup proceedure just as specified. Connected my hard drive to the box and started to search for movies. Their database software is nice looking although changing from screen to screen seems to take a long time. Finally I found the movie i wanted to watch and hit play. The play back (if you can call it that) is extreamly poor. one or two frames then freezes for a couple seconds, then another couple of frames then freeze. basically the unit will not properly play back videos.

I contacted DVDFab and requested a refund. Without hesitation I was told the sale date (Feb. 14th) was too long ago so they would give me a refund through PayPal or allow me to purchase another of equal value. As I already had the software I needed I had to open a PayPal account to receive a refund. I am now waiting to see if they actually send it.

I recomend you do not purchase the VidOn.me box. It seems the DVDFab software is good but their hardware needs some work. Hopefully they get things working because as a movie collector is sounded like just what i had beed looking for. One more quick note, There is a movie database software called Movie Collector that I have tried. It works great but needs to use your computer or laptop.
post #10 of 24 Old 11-22-2013, 04:24 AM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 98
Quote:
Originally Posted by vl19 View Post

I would send you my piece of junk for a cup of coffee and pack of gum. It is utterly horrible
Thanks for elaborating.rolleyes.gif

I use DVDFab and it does a great job of ripping DVD's and Blurays.

My build thread

My 8 x RE XXX 18" Subwoofers, IB build
Couldn't pour water out of a boot with instructions on the heel.

Do you know what Nemesis means?

post #11 of 24 Old 11-22-2013, 08:54 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 21
fan of fab too. I got the wdtv but will be returning it in favor of the kdlinks 720. I just made an official thread for that product. When I got the email from dvdfab and saw that there was a player able to read BD menus I started searching and found this thread. Glad I cam here first.
post #12 of 24 Old 11-24-2013, 05:53 PM

If you had a software server like servio, would you be accomplishing the same thing? Run it off one computer and the entire home network has the ability to access it. Most people already have a blu-ray player or such that is already set to do this.

Or have I missed something?
post #13 of 24 Old 11-25-2013, 07:11 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 94cobra View Post

If you had a software server like servio, would you be accomplishing the same thing? Run it off one computer and the entire home network has the ability to access it. Most people already have a blu-ray player or such that is already set to do this.

Or have I missed something?

AFAIK, Media streamers like servio won't allow a functional dvd menu when accessing from a set-top box like WDTV smp. This is why I use Windows shares.
post #14 of 24 Old 11-25-2013, 08:45 AM

So this box will allow me to play the Blu-ray or dvd from a hard drive like it's the actual disc instead of just ripping the movie off?
post #15 of 24 Old 11-25-2013, 10:04 AM
Advanced Member

That's what the manufacturer says. Although, actual experience (noted by the many frustrated users' posts above) says otherwise.

The way I read it was that it is the first to be able to support full BD rip menus. No player on the market today (continued models) can do this. Not sure about the Dune players though.
post #16 of 24 Old 11-25-2013, 10:26 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Liked: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by 94cobra View Post

So this box will allow me to play the Blu-ray or dvd from a hard drive like it's the actual disc instead of just ripping the movie off?
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnBlanker View Post

That's what the manufacturer says. Although, actual experience (noted by the many frustrated users' posts above) says otherwise.

The way I read it was that it is the first to be able to support full BD rip menus. No player on the market today (continued models) can do this. Not sure about the Dune players though.
In order to play 'full-disc' Blu-ray back-up's with menus, such devices would need to fully support Java wink.gif

I SUPPORT 'FAIR USE'. MY MORALS PREVENT ME FROM HELPING ANYONE WHO OBTAINS COPYRIGHTED CONTENT ILLEGITIMATELY
I've been testing hardware media playback devices and software A/V encoders and decoders since 2001 | My Network Layout and A/V Gear
post #17 of 24 Old 11-25-2013, 11:12 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeeMoreDigital View Post

In order to play 'full-disc' Blu-ray back-up's with menus, such devices would need to fully support Java wink.gif

Right. Some of the Dune players might have this ability. For the price they ask, it wouldn't surprise me. The players in the $100ish category, no way.
post #18 of 24 Old 11-25-2013, 11:47 AM
AVS Special Member

The Neo 550 does this and is about $90. It is discontinued but still available.

I have no faith that this VidOnMe product will work. The first one was a disaster and they abandoned it and their customers.

post #19 of 24 Old 11-25-2013, 12:01 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Liked: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by raynist View Post

The Neo 550 does this and is about $90. It is discontinued but still available.

I have no faith that this VidOnMe product will work. The first one was a disaster and they abandoned it and their customers.
Do you mean the NeoTV 550? If so, do you have one?

From what I know about this device, it does not even support basic 'non Java' based BD-lite menus!

I SUPPORT 'FAIR USE'. MY MORALS PREVENT ME FROM HELPING ANYONE WHO OBTAINS COPYRIGHTED CONTENT ILLEGITIMATELY
I've been testing hardware media playback devices and software A/V encoders and decoders since 2001 | My Network Layout and A/V Gear
post #20 of 24 Old 11-25-2013, 12:24 PM
Advanced Member

I have heard that the neotv550 is a capable player and is one of the few remaining pre DRMA-crippled players that can support BD ISO menus. But my emphasis was on currently supported players that are still being issued new firmware updates.

$90 where? Amazon has a couple but they are $299. Most of the people selling them know about their rarity and charge a hefty premium for it.
post #21 of 24 Old 11-25-2013, 01:12 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I have heard that the neotv550 is a capable player and is one of the few remaining pre DRMA-crippled players that can support BD ISO menus. But my emphasis was on currently supported players that are still being issued new firmware updates.

$90 where? Amazon has a couple but they are $299. Most of the people selling them know about their rarity and charge a hefty premium for it.

I'll look. I purchased 3 of them this last summer for $89 each. They work perfectly with even new blu ray releases.

I bought mine from JR Audio, looks like no one has them now.

Check out this forum, I would be very cautious of preordering the new VidOnMe box. I would wait until it has been tested:
http://forum.dvdfab.com/forumdisplay.php?f=58

post #22 of 24 Old 11-25-2013, 01:14 PM
Advanced Member

Have any for sale?smile.gif
post #23 of 24 Old 11-25-2013, 01:23 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeeMoreDigital View Post

Do you mean the NeoTV 550? If so, do you have one?

From what I know about this device, it does not even support basic 'non Java' based BD-lite menus!

Yes, supports every full BD menu I have tried (BD ISO's and regular folder structures, DVD menus too).

I see a few on ebay uk for 50-70 pounds used.

post #24 of 24 Old 11-25-2013, 01:26 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Have any for sale?smile.gif

I had no idea they were going for so much now!

I use all 3 all of the time smile.gif

Best media player I have used (better than - mede8ter 1000X3D(although this does 3d), wdtv live hub, VidOnMe peice of crap, wdtv live)

Reply Home Theater Computers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page