Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 34 Old 09-25-2013, 09:18 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Digging up an old tread here but, if you are still interested try one of these:
http://www.pulse-eight.com/store/products/96-motorola-nyxboard-remote-designed-for-xbmc.aspx

I had problem with the first one they sent (early model) and RF didn't worke that well. New one works 95% with 5% not registering the command sent.
But I can live with that.
post #33 of 34 Old 09-26-2013, 10:11 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 96 Post(s)
Liked: 187
Quote:
Originally Posted by mdavej View Post

Just about any universal remote can do what you ask, from a $15 RCA RCRP05B or $20 URC WR7 to a $2500 RTI or Crestron and everything in between. Unfortunately, Harmony doesn't work well with Next Gen. So if you went with a Harmony, it would have to be an RF model like the 900 or 1100, which are around $250. Many RF URC models will work fine. Those run from about $70 to several hundred. You have to decide on all your requirement and budget. One of my JP1 remotes cost me $3 (it's just a cable TV remote), and it controls everything in my house using several one button macros (sometimes 2 buttons). Some people use a smartphone or iPad as a universal remote. That's a good option as well.

You'll have to experiment with the base and other blasters for the optimum placement. IR works like visible light, so imagine if you shine a flashlight from wherever you mount the base or blasters, would the light reach your devices.

I got my H900 factory refurbished for less than half that but they are becoming hard to find now unfortunately. IMHO, I think it is better than anything they offer now because I really just want a tactile remote where I don't have to look at a touch screen for EVERYTHING..

My Galaxy S4 has a built in universal remote but it isn't RF of course and all the equipment but my HDTV are operated by RF, out of sight in a cabinet without glass doors not even on the same wall as the HDTV so I don't use the Galaxy Remote app even though it does control everything quite well if the doors are open and I aim the remote properly.

post #34 of 34 Old 09-26-2013, 03:01 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 215 Post(s)
Liked: 322
I agree, refurb Harmony's are a great inexpensive option, if you can find them. I personally use the Xsight Touch for RF, but it's hard to find too. But I need to dust off my Harmony's since Logitech has made some major improvements to their software lately (myharmony only). I'll take real buttons over touch screens any day.
Reply Home Theater Computers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page