Intel's Next Unit of Computing device - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 4 Old 02-08-2013, 05:46 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
http://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/motherboards/desktop-motherboards/next-unit-computing-introduction.html

Has anyone had the experience of checking these out yet? I've been looking for an extremely small, unassuming device to replace my current HTPC and have been less then impressed with most of the Zotac options. So this is very appealing with the major downside being that it only uses mSATA for the HDD but I do have a NAS so the space wouldn't be an issue. My only concern would be if the i3 could handle transcoding via Plex.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 Old 02-08-2013, 06:08 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 16
I seriously considered this for my HTPC. I was moving to a SSD drive anyway and I never use my optical drive. So the only thing that it wouldn't fit was the InfiniTV4 card, but I can always put that elsewhere and share it. The CPU is more than enough to handle most HTPC tasks (I just put an i3-2550 in mine and the thing flies). Newegg has a deal for a free 4GB DDR3-1333 module with it, so you;d only need a hard drive and be ready to go.
frankspin likes this.
post #3 of 4 Old 02-08-2013, 06:12 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 58
If you want to transcode I recommend getting something as powerful as possible. For the same price you could build something much faster, it just wouldn't have the nice small package.
post #4 of 4 Old 02-08-2013, 06:29 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 141 Post(s)
Liked: 761
Quote:
Originally Posted by lockdown571 View Post

If you want to transcode I recommend getting something as powerful as possible. For the same price you could build something much faster, it just wouldn't have the nice small package.

You certainly pay a premium because it's small and retail packaged.

Hardware wise- There is little special about it. If you really needed thunderbolt just add a card.

-

"Too much is almost enough. Anything in life worth doing is worth overdoing. Moderation is for cowards."
Reply Home Theater Computers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page