Would this work? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 7 Old 02-08-2013, 11:10 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I have a set of 2.1 Logitch speakers/ sub. The speakers connect with a 3.5mm jack. My Tvs only means of external audio output is a toslink connector (there is no headphone jack)
I want to be able to control the volume of the speakers using a harmony remote so I'm looking at buying a used external sound card like this http://www.behardware.com/articles/562-1/sound-blaster-digy-4-pro.html
I basically want to scrap the internal car and use the external portion as a sort of receiver.
This external portion can most likely be powered by a usb cable either attached to my tvs usb port or I can buy a usb to 120v adaptor.
If I attach a toslink cable to the soundcards optical input and plug in my speakers, do you think I can get these speakers to work and have volume control? Or will the sound only work through a software based program?

In case you're wondering. I dont have room on my entertainment stand for a receiver nor do I have room for one in my budget. The used soundblaster im looking to buy will only cost me 25 bucks

Thanks in advance
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 02-08-2013, 11:35 AM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 13
this might also work. than you should be able to use the volume control of the tv.
out of TV to convertor with optical cable>plug speaker 3.5 cable into RCA to female 3.5 cable
digital to analog convertor

post #3 of 7 Old 02-08-2013, 11:39 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by ntculenuf View Post

this might also work. than you should be able to use the volume control of the tv.
out of TV to convertor with optical cable>plug speaker 3.5 cable into RCA to female 3.5 cable
digital to analog convertor

I tried that with the Fiio adapter. The speakers work fine but the tv remote doesnt adjust volume of the speakers.
post #4 of 7 Old 02-08-2013, 11:44 AM

some tvs don't allow that when using externals guess yours is one of them. for $25 go for it don't see why it wouldn't. the sound blaster has its own remote. not sure about the usb, but going from optical into should work.

post #5 of 7 Old 02-08-2013, 01:09 PM - Thread Starter

Yeah thats what I thought at 25 bucks its worth a shot.
post #6 of 7 Old 02-14-2013, 06:18 AM - Thread Starter

Just thought I'd update on this. The external soundcard does work amazingly. I even programmed my harmony remote to work with it. The only issue I have is that I cannot control the bass of the sub or fine tune the satelite speakers such as treble etc. But for 25 bucks I am able to use pc speakers with my tv so Im not complaining. There is no need to have the soundcard hooked up to my computer either, works just like a mini receiver smile.gif
post #7 of 7 Old 02-14-2013, 07:53 AM

thats is awesome! One of the best things about this hobby is trying things and seeing what happens

Reply Home Theater Computers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page