stuck trying to get DTS HD and HD MA from an HTPC with a Samsung HTB - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 11 Old 02-08-2013, 11:27 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hi guys,

I have been having this issue that is getting on my nerve. Let's first describe my set up:

1- HTPC with Nvidia GT520 (which supports DTS HD) and windows 7 x64

2- Samsung HT 6750w, (a DTS HD and MA capable receiver)

3- Samsung Plasma.

The way i connected them is having an hdmi cable going from the HTPC to the receiver, another HDMI cable from the reciver to the TV

sound works fine and i get surround but cannot get DTS HD. However when i go to sound properties in control panel, i see that i have two sound devices: one that says Samsung and has a TV icon and is set as the default and the other one says Nvidia High Definition, but says not plugged in (even though i have one hdmi out on the htpc.

when i click on the samsung sound device (that looks like a tv) and go to properties it only shows that it supports DTS and dolby.

Now here is what i think is happening: Although the HTPC is connected to the samsung receiver, which is connected to the TV, the PC only sees the TV during the hdmi handshake and therefore it only gives me the TV sound capabilities instead of the Samsung receiver.

It is driving me nuts, i tried everything: Uninstalled/reinstalled old and new nvidia drivers. I even formated the htpc and installed win 7 from scratch today but still the same issue.

IS there a way i can force Win 7 to handshake with samsung receiver instead of TV ?

I ran across some posts mentioning an EDID override, but most of those who have this issue have ATI cards and not Nvidia.

I am really lost, can anyone help me plz ?

EDIT: I still get sound even though i have the Nvidia High Definition Audio not plugged in message and it being greyed out

Thank you
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 Old 02-08-2013, 11:52 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 165
Do you have the proper codecs and splittters installed?

What player are you using on your HTPC?

post #3 of 11 Old 02-08-2013, 12:05 PM - Thread Starter

i am using XBMC,

but the problem, is that even windows is not detecting that my receiver is DTS HD (even though it is)

actually i think windows is only seeing the TV and not the receiver.
post #4 of 11 Old 02-08-2013, 12:06 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 67 Post(s)
Liked: 190
Quote:
Originally Posted by strugler View Post

Now here is what i think is happening: Although the HTPC is connected to the samsung receiver, which is connected to the TV, the PC only sees the TV during the hdmi handshake and therefore it only gives me the TV sound capabilities instead of the Samsung receiver.

It is driving me nuts, i tried everything: Uninstalled/reinstalled old and new nvidia drivers. I even formated the htpc and installed win 7 from scratch today but still the same issue.

IS there a way i can force Win 7 to handshake with samsung receiver instead of TV ?

This only happens when you mis-configured your receiver. Typically, you have to disable HDMI audio from receiver to TV in order for your receiver's EDID information show up in your source device, e.g. your PC. If you didn't disable HDMI audio output, your receiver will report TV's EDID instead.

You should see DTS-HD listed in the properties.
post #5 of 11 Old 02-08-2013, 12:13 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Foxbat121 View Post

This only happens when you mis-configured your receiver. Typically, you have to disable HDMI audio from receiver to TV in order for your receiver's EDID information show up in your source device, e.g. your PC. If you didn't disable HDMI audio output, your receiver will report TV's EDID instead.

You should see DTS-HD listed in the properties.

It is disabled. It was actually disabled by default.
post #6 of 11 Old 02-08-2013, 12:25 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 64
I've seen this before and it is becoming annoyingly more common. A lot of these HTIB devices only process HD audio internally (from the built-in Blu-ray player) - NOT from external HDMI sources. If you read your manual under the input page, you will find:

"This system supports only DTS and Dolby Digital audio."

You can't fix what isn't supported. frown.gif
post #7 of 11 Old 02-08-2013, 12:43 PM
AVS Special Member

HTiB's are not the way to go. Can you return it and get a Denon instead?

post #8 of 11 Old 02-08-2013, 12:53 PM - Thread Starter

so you guys think that is the issue then?

that is sneaky from samsung.

that is probably it though. Well thank you so much folks, at least this case has been resolved.

Thank you so much
post #9 of 11 Old 02-08-2013, 01:51 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 16
Unless you've confirmed that to be the issue, don't give up until you do what this thread says. Will help pinpoint the problem, so you don't have to wonder. It just saved my @$$ biggrin.gif
http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid=146911
post #10 of 11 Old 02-08-2013, 02:12 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by nathanddrews View Post

I've seen this before and it is becoming annoyingly more common. A lot of these HTIB devices only process HD audio internally (from the built-in Blu-ray player) - NOT from external HDMI sources. If you read your manual under the input page, you will find:

"This system supports only DTS and Dolby Digital audio."

You can't fix what isn't supported. frown.gif

Nice find. The manual does state this..
Quote:
To see video from your Cable Box/Satellite receiver, you must connect its video output directly to your TV.
\ This system supports Digital sampling frequencies of 32 kHz or higher from external digital components.
\ This system supports only DTS and Dolby Digital audio. MPEG audio, a bitstream format, is not supported.

post #11 of 11 Old 02-08-2013, 07:43 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 64
I was helping my father-in-law find and buy a Blu-ray HTIB over Christmas and I was shocked at how many of them do not support HD audio input. I resorted to reading all the manuals for each of the HTIBs we looked at and they all had limited HDMI input capability. I don't know if they just don't want people to use other sources or if they are just trying to save 35 cents per unit... whatever the reason, it sucks. He opted for the Sony BDVN790W - which also does not support HD audio input. It's a great HTIB otherwise.

mad.gif
Reply Home Theater Computers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page