AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Liked: 167
Quote:
Originally Posted by lockdown571 View Post

OR, I could use this:

It works with both hands, doesn't require a surface to use. I can use it sitting down, standing up, or lying down. It controls my entire A/V system. Navigation is fast and simple, and any idiot can use it. If you want to use a mouse, go for it. I think I'll stick with my remote.

And it has a high WAF for crotch use. biggrin.gif

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #62 of 76 Old 02-12-2013, 01:50 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Quote:

I was going to stop participating in this discussion, but this has become beyond absurd. You're trying to tell me that using a mouse on a couch is a perfectly reasonable navigation method for the average HTPC user? And when I have friends over and the couch is full, should I just use my buddy's crotch as my mouse pad? Not exactly my idea of a good time, but to each there own.

LOL. Claims something is absurd and then proceed to make absurd claims.
Quote:
And you're also trying to tell me that text is just as readable on a computer monitor as it is on your TV? You either have a very small monitor, or an enormous TV. Would you really consider writing up a 1000 word document in Word on your HTPC? Would that be comfortable? What does everyone else on this forum think?

WTF are you talking about? I guess I don't know about the function of a remote that makes text more readable on a large screen, or how a remote makes typing up a large Word document easier. Try to stick to the topic of using an HTPC and whether a remote is necessary to do so. Again, absurd after making claims of others being absurd.
post #63 of 76 Old 02-12-2013, 01:52 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 58
Quote:
Originally Posted by macks View Post

I think you are missing out if you don't use a mouse on your buddies crotch... What a negative nancy.

This is true, I shouldn't be so negative. I'll try this out the next time my friends come over, and let everyone know how it went. Should be a novel ergonomic experience at least.
post #64 of 76 Old 02-12-2013, 01:53 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

OR, I could use this:

It works with both hands, doesn't require a surface to use. I can use it sitting down, standing up, or lying down. It controls my entire A/V system. Navigation is fast and simple, and any idiot can use it. If you want to use a mouse, go for it. I think I'll stick with my remote.

And you're free to continue doing so, but the discussion is whether a remote is needed. I'm glad I don't have one hooked up--I actually own several.

But my mouse can do all thin things you mention except control my entire system. Although it may take more than an idiot to use it--I'm not sure about that. wink.gif
post #65 of 76 Old 02-12-2013, 01:54 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karyk View Post

LOL. Claims something is absurd and then proceed to make absurd claims.
WTF are you talking about? I guess I don't know about the function of a remote that makes text more readable on a large screen, or how a remote makes typing up a large Word document easier. Try to stick to the topic of using an HTPC and whether a remote is necessary to do so. Again, absurd after making claims of others being absurd.

The point is that you can't do the same thing on a computer screen that you can on a TV. They have completely different ergonomics. This is why HTPC interfaces were invented to begin with. This is why we have something called a "10 foot interface". And if you solely use a 10 foot interface, a remote is better than a mouse for a myriad of reasons.
post #66 of 76 Old 02-12-2013, 01:56 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bryansj View Post

And it has a high WAF for crotch use. biggrin.gif

WAF approved for many reasons! biggrin.gif
post #67 of 76 Old 02-12-2013, 02:16 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

The point is that you can't do the same thing on a computer screen that you can on a TV. They have completely different ergonomics. This is why HTPC interfaces were invented to begin with. This is why we have something called a "10 foot interface". And if you solely use a 10 foot interface, a remote is better than a mouse for a myriad of reasons.

Let's limit it to doing things you'd do on an HTPC.

Browsing through the Netflix website using Chrome is pretty much the same experience on an HTPC as it is on a desktop PC. If it isn't, you don't have your HTPC set up right, or you have a lousy TV.

Oh wait, it's not the same because you can't do that very well using a remote! wink.gif
post #68 of 76 Old 02-12-2013, 02:20 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked: 168
Netflix basically sucks so who cares if you can control it with anything..

post #69 of 76 Old 02-12-2013, 02:27 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sammy2 View Post

Netflix basically sucks so who cares if you can control it with anything..

Just an example, but I and the 27 million Netflix streaming customers will take that as an admission that a mouse is better.
post #70 of 76 Old 02-12-2013, 02:46 PM
AVS Special Member

27 million minions don't all use a PC for netflix do they? They use the remote with their SmartTV or Blu-ray Player to control it.

post #71 of 76 Old 02-12-2013, 03:07 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 129 Post(s)
Liked: 287
Quote:
Originally Posted by Karyk View Post

Let's limit it to doing things you'd do on an HTPC.

Browsing through the Netflix website using Chrome is pretty much the same experience on an HTPC as it is on a desktop PC. If it isn't, you don't have your HTPC set up right, or you have a lousy TV.

Oh wait, it's not the same because you can't do that very well using a remote! wink.gif
That's precisely Lockdown's point. Of course it's easier to use a mouse in a browser. But I can't imagine anyone actually running Netflix from a browser on an HTPC. So I'd argue that isn't something someone would do on an HTPC. If a certain task isn't remote-friendly, obviously you won't be using a remote for it. You'll find an app that IS remote friendly or suck it up and use a mouse. In my case, the mouse option is always my last resort on an HTPC.
post #72 of 76 Old 02-12-2013, 03:29 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 31
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sammy2 View Post

27 million minions don't all use a PC for netflix do they? They use the remote with their SmartTV or Blu-ray Player to control it.

It's pretty sad that Netflix has better picture and sound than my cable provider.
post #73 of 76 Old 02-12-2013, 03:42 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 76 Post(s)
Liked: 676
Quote:
Originally Posted by macks View Post

It's pretty sad that Netflix has better picture and sound than my cable provider.

once fiber networks are installed and offer giga speeds broadcasting cable will be obsolete.

-

"Too much is almost enough. Anything in life worth doing is worth overdoing. Moderation is for cowards."
post #74 of 76 Old 02-12-2013, 03:48 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I run Netflix from a browser because I like searching using the keyboard. I also don't find the distance from the screen to be a problem -- however, I sit 13' from a 92" screen in the theater. However, in another room I sit about 9' from a 42" TV and that is a little hard on the eyes unless you scale the desktop up.

The bottom line is that people use their HTPCs differently, I think we all need to calm down and accept that. This is like raging about Chevy vs. Ford -- they're pretty much the same thing.
post #75 of 76 Old 02-12-2013, 03:50 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mfusick View Post

once fiber networks are installed and offer giga speeds broadcasting cable will be obsolete.

I don't see that happening and not anytime soon if it does. That's a huge outlay to put in gig fiber everywhere. Streaming is not the end all. There still is plenty of need for Live content. It is funny because everything was live when TV started and being live is it's saving grace.

post #76 of 76 Old 02-12-2013, 03:53 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by aclos3 View Post

I run Netflix from a browser because I like searching using the keyboard. I also don't find the distance from the screen to be a problem -- however, I sit 13' from a 92" screen in the theater. However, in another room I sit about 9' from a 42" TV and that is a little hard on the eyes unless you scale the desktop up.

The bottom line is that people use their HTPCs differently, I think we all need to calm down and accept that. This is like raging about Chevy vs. Ford -- they're pretty much the same thing.

Not at all.

Reply Home Theater Computers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page