Multiple Audio Out from Radeon 7750? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 25 Old 02-10-2013, 07:52 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Looking at replacing my video card with a Radeon 7750. I am trying to have two connections out of the card at the same time: 1 using HDMI to feed audio and video to my Samsung TV. Connection 2 to use DVI for video to my projector and SPDIF from the motherboard to my receiver. My existing set up uses the DVI / SPDIF to the projector/receiver, but I really need the Video and Audio to also go to the TV. Will the Radeon 7750 series accomplish this?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 25 Old 02-11-2013, 06:03 AM
AVS Club Gold

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 209 Post(s)
Liked: 371
So

Video+Audio over HDMI to Samsung TV
Video over DVI to projector
Audio over S/PDIF to receiver (I assume your receiver does not support HDMI)

What else do you want?

-
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

-
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 25 Old 02-11-2013, 11:37 AM - Thread Starter

The receiver does support HDMI, but I don't see any cards that have 2x HDMI out. I don't need anything else, but the ability to send individual streams of audio/video to two different components.
post #4 of 25 Old 02-11-2013, 11:50 AM
AVS Club Gold

HD 7750 or higher (and all Trinity) supports dual (and more) audio stream over HDMI+DP. If the target device does not support DP (this is your case), you will have to use an active DP-HDMI adapter. But I haven't seen an active adapter that supports TrueHD/DTS-HD bitstreaming. Multichannle LPCM and DD/DTS bitstreaming worked with the adapter I tested.

Every GeForce card supports dual (quad with Kepler) audio stream over HDMI+DVI (with a generic DVI-HDMI adapter). There are a couple of GeForce cards with 2 x HDMI (here), although this is not important at all. Intel graphics also supports dual audio stream (not every mb supports audio over DVI port, however).

Adding two graphics cards is another solution (if your mb has two PCI Express x16 slots).

-

-
post #5 of 25 Old 02-12-2013, 09:53 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks for the response renethx. So will the 7750 card work with my original plan? Can I use the HDMI out of the card for audio/video to the TV, the DVI to the projector, and the motherboard SPDIF to the receiver? I couldn't find an active dp to HDMI adapter with a good review.
post #6 of 25 Old 02-12-2013, 10:14 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by renethx View Post

HD 7750 or higher (and all Trinity) supports dual (and more) audio stream over HDMI+DP. If the target device does not support DP (this is your case), you will have to use an active DP-HDMI adapter. But I haven't seen an active adapter that supports TrueHD/DTS-HD bitstreaming. Multichannle LPCM and DD/DTS bitstreaming worked with the adapter I tested.

Every GeForce card supports dual (quad with Kepler) audio stream over HDMI+DVI (with a generic DVI-HDMI adapter). There are a couple of GeForce cards with 2 x HDMI (here), although this is not important at all. Intel graphics also supports dual audio stream (not every mb supports audio over DVI port, however).

Adding two graphics cards is another solution (if your mb has two PCI Express x16 slots).

When you say dual audio stream is handled, does that mean that the same audio stream will go out over both connections simulateously? Or could you have say TrueHD going out over one and DD over the other (like from the same movie)?
post #7 of 25 Old 02-12-2013, 10:35 AM
AVS Club Gold

Yes, works, but why SPDIF to the HDMI receiver? SPDIF does not support HD audio bitstreaming.

StarTech DP2HDS should work with three limitations:

- Mulitchannel LPCM, DD, DTS are supported (enough for TV) but HD audio (TrueHD, DTS-HD HRA/MA, DD+) is not supported.
- No scaling option (i.e. underscan/overscan control)
- Full range RGB only.

The latter two are supported with this DVI-HDMI adapter, but no audio.

-

-
post #8 of 25 Old 02-12-2013, 11:42 AM - Thread Starter

I'm thinking that going with 2 Radeon 5450s might be the better way to go. Then i can support TrueHD, and DD. Looks like they go for around $35 each. Any drawbacks to this?
post #9 of 25 Old 02-12-2013, 09:52 PM
AVS Club Gold

Possible drawbacks are:

- No MVC (BR 3D video codec) decode. CPU needs to be powerful enough to decode it, f you want to play BR 3D.
- Not powerful enough for most of madVR's algorithms, if you want better upscaling of DVD/SD than AMD's (= bilinear).

-

-
post #10 of 25 Old 02-20-2013, 02:41 PM - Thread Starter

renethx - thanks for the response - great info. I ended up ordering two HD6450s from NewEgg. I'm not into 3D, so that won't be a worry. I can live with the lack of upscaling of the SD.
post #11 of 25 Old 02-22-2013, 08:13 PM - Thread Starter

I got the HD6450's installed, updated to latest driver, however, I can't get them to "mirror" or "clone" the desktop. My only option is to "Extend". Any ideas on how to have the cards display the exact same thing on both the projector and the TV? I'm running Vista SP2 32-bit and the latest release (13.1) of Catalyst Center.
post #12 of 25 Old 02-22-2013, 08:32 PM
AVS Club Gold

Two graphics cards cannot be cloned.

-

-
post #13 of 25 Old 02-24-2013, 12:11 PM - Thread Starter

So it looks I'd be better off splitting the signal from 1 card than have 2 cards installed? I guess I didn't explain what I was trying to do clearly. I wanted to be able to watch/control my HTPC output in my theater room via the projector and the AVR. If I didn't want to fire up the projector, I wanted to be able to turn on my TV in a different room, and watch/control the HTPC from there. I'm using a wireless keyboard that I can take from room to room. The problem with the extended display, I can't control the primary display without starting up whatever device (projector or TV) was used last as the primary device. Any suggestions? Should I return one of the video cards and go with one of these instead?
post #14 of 25 Old 02-24-2013, 01:04 PM
AVS Club Gold

Press Widows key + P, then you will (or will not) see

where you can select the display device(s) to use. If you don't see it (say, the last time you turned on the projector only and now you try to use TV only), select the display by pressing the left or right arrow key three times, then Enter key. You can also create a .bat file
Code:
displayswitch.exe /internal

for "Computer only" and
Code:
displayswitch.exe /external

for "Projector only". (/extend for "Extend")

-

-
post #15 of 25 Old 02-24-2013, 02:07 PM - Thread Starter

I tried the "windows + P" key and nothing happened. I then hooked up an old school PS/2 keyboard, thinking the wireless keyboard was the problem, but that didn't work either. I tried the "displayswitch.exe" by itself, and with the /internal and /external command, and each time I got a message "displayswitch.exe is not recognized as an internal or external command, operable program, or batch file". Doing some other searching, it appears that doesn't work when two cards are installed. Any other ideas?
post #16 of 25 Old 02-24-2013, 02:44 PM
AVS Club Gold

What's your OS?

-

-
post #17 of 25 Old 02-24-2013, 03:05 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Post #11 Vista 32bit
post #18 of 25 Old 02-24-2013, 03:52 PM
AVS Club Gold

I see, this function is not supported by Vista. I don't know if there is a workaround for Vista as easy as displayswitch.exe.

I guess GeForce may work better in such a scenario because it supports dual audio stream. Connect TV and AVR/projector to the same GeForce card and clone mode should work. For example, EVGA GT 630 GDDR5. Use a generic DVI-HDMI adapter to connect two displays.

-

-
post #19 of 25 Old 02-24-2013, 04:42 PM - Thread Starter

post #20 of 25 Old 03-06-2014, 02:34 AM

Liked: 12
Quote:

Yes, works, but why SPDIF to the HDMI receiver? SPDIF does not support HD audio bitstreaming.

StarTech DP2HDS should work with three limitations:

- Mulitchannel LPCM, DD, DTS are supported (enough for TV) but HD audio (TrueHD, DTS-HD HRA/MA, DD+) is not supported.
- No scaling option (i.e. underscan/overscan control)
- Full range RGB only.

The latter two are supported with this DVI-HDMI adapter, but no audio.

Hi renethx, I have a similar problem with a sapphire 7750.

I need to have two audio output, but not simultaneously. I need to have one direct output to Sony TV (video + audio 2 channels, normal vision) and a second output for the avr (only for HD audio). In order to have the ability to switch audio devices (from control panel) to one output to another. It is possible to do this with a passive adapter (StarTech DP2HDMI2) in order to use HDMI port and DisplayPort + adapter as outputs on the graphics card.

I am very grateful if you could help me before switching to nvidia solution.

post #21 of 25 Old 03-06-2014, 04:11 AM
AVS Club Gold

It should be. Connect to HDMI port to AVR and DP with a passive DP-HDMI adapter to TV. When AVR is on, use extended desktop mode; video (primary desktop) without audio will be sent to TV and audio+secondary desktop will be sent to AVR. If AVR is off, video + audio will be sent to TV.

DP+passive adapter is completely equivalent to HDMI. But when both HDMI and DP+passive adapter are present, the native HDMI port always grabs audio.

-

-
post #22 of 25 Old 03-06-2014, 04:45 AM

Thanks. I will buy the adapter asap.

If DP+passive adapter is completely equivalent to HDMI, this mean that 3D and all resolutions and frequencies from htpc go directly to TV without any restriction/degradation?

post #23 of 25 Old 03-06-2014, 04:47 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by avscyclo View Post

If DP+passive adapter is completely equivalent to HDMI, this mean that 3D and all resolutions and frequencies from htpc go directly to TV without any restriction/degradation?

Right. DP port will actually send HDMI signals if a passive adapter is detected. On the other hand, DP will send DP signals if an active adapter is present and the adapter (that includes a converter chip) converts DP signals to HDMI signals (so don't expect TrueHD/DTS-HD bitstreaming nor HDMI 3D as the chip won't support them in most cases).

-

-
post #24 of 25 Old 03-14-2014, 06:11 AM

Quote:

Right. DP port will actually send HDMI signals if a passive adapter is detected. On the other hand, DP will send DP signals if an active adapter is present and the adapter (that includes a converter chip) converts DP signals to HDMI signals (so don't expect TrueHD/DTS-HD bitstreaming nor HDMI 3D as the chip won't support them in most cases).

I tried the solution you suggest to me, but with no success, because i have to reset the pc to switch from the two output. I can set audio out over hdmi when avr is on (no audio on DP+adapter, it is recognized as DVI-HDMI connection). If I switch off avr do not change nothing. If I detects display from catalyst control center remain two monitor avr+tv with no audio.

I need to change audio zone by internal switch of jriver media center, so the two output has to be software selectable from audio device panel.

Thanks in any case.

Did you have other solution with a sure success (hd5450 pcie x16 on pcie x1 or better solution is a new gtx 750 with two hdmi port or an old gtx 650 ti + a generic DVI to HDMI adapter ?

Excuse for my english.

post #25 of 25 Old 03-19-2014, 03:05 AM

And, if I switch on or off the avr, nvidia driver have to detect this and set multiple monitor as consegunce or not (like AMD driver) ?

Reply Home Theater Computers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page