Generally speaking, these are some common practices:
1. In wall wiring would terminate to a punch down block first. Then jumpered to the switch.
2. Most larger installation use same color jumpers. Jumpers should be kept short.
3. Switch would need top and bottom horizontal channels. Some have channel cover.
4. Make a switch port assignment map for future reference.
5. Other devices such as servers, routers, NAS can just use side channels as their jumpers are limited.
I use different color jumpers, 12 keystone double wall plate and a 16 port switch is positioned close by.