3D movie purchase/rental? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 9 Old 02-11-2013, 03:40 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Here is a dumb question? Back in the long ago far far away... remember when they had the special superbowl comercials that we had our special glasses for... The special pespi comercial that was 3D? Anyway, why is it that they make 3D movies yet I can't find anywhere to buy/rent them in that format? Or am I not looking in the right place?

I have my HDTV hooked up to my computer as a HTPC...So shouldn't I be able to get the right glasses to watch a 3D movie? like Ice Age? after all they did it with a pepsi comecial on a SD tv long ago.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old 02-11-2013, 08:24 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 34
The special glasses are anaglyph, and they are pretty horrible for 3D.

Netflix has started doing "Super HD" streaming, with 3D streaming. But it requires that your ISP be a member of their initiative and have some hardware put in at their head end.
post #3 of 9 Old 02-12-2013, 03:02 AM - Thread Starter

Went to the Netflix... It says my provider is not configured for 'super HD yet'.

The Glasses are not the same ones your not supposed to take home from the theater? (they used to let you... I have a couple.)

But it would seem that Itunes or some place that you purchase and download the video would have it in the 3d format. Bluray? I don't own one yet, but it would seem that it would support this.
post #4 of 9 Old 02-12-2013, 03:22 AM - Thread Starter

Oh I answered my dumb question. The blue-ray versions are 3D. I was just looking at the Pixar movie 'UP' and its a 5 disc set.
post #5 of 9 Old 02-12-2013, 07:20 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 108 Post(s)
Liked: 208
outside of a few novelty movies in anaglyph, you are going to need a 3D tv to watch anything that way - 3D bluray movies aren't made like that because that won't help sell newer tv's and bluray movies. Vizo, LG, and Panasonic LEDs use the same glasses you get in the theater. All plasmas and other major LCD/LED makers use a more expensive kind called active shutter.

My HTPC front end set up
Integration for whole home ATSC, CableCARD, FM radio, Blu-Ray, HD-DVD, DVD, VHS control & capture, video games, and archived & streaming media playback
Mironto's Panasonic plasma black level restoration guide
Restore the initial MLL on a 2009 Panasonic plasma
post #6 of 9 Old 02-12-2013, 08:39 AM - Thread Starter

Ok so what you saying is: The bluray's that are marked 3D...will not work with regular HDTV... a marketing ploy?
I remember hearing what they called a 3DTv, but I just thought it was marketing way of saying it was a UltraHD-TV or the some kind of way saying it had a really great picture it looked like 3D. But what your saying is that they force you to have that or it won't work.
post #7 of 9 Old 02-12-2013, 09:30 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 108 Post(s)
Liked: 208
i don't know if it's a marketing ploy - a bluray wont appear as HD on a standard definition set. just like a 3D bluray won't appear three dimensional on a set that doesn't support it. like i said, some movies, such as hannah montana and coraline were released in anaglyph. they aren't anywhere near as sharp as true 3D bluray. and, they wont get you to buy a new tv smile.gif

regular televisions lack the ability to accept the data and properly understand it as it relates to 3D picture. for example, see if your cable provider offers 3D channels. I bet if you tune to it you will see what looks like two identical images side by side on the screen. your tv doesn't know how to parse that and separate it out stereoscopically.

3D tvs first hit the market in 2010 and that is becoming a standard feature on any midrange and up set from the major manufacturers. Check out CNET's primer on them

http://news.cnet.com/8301-17938_105-10434346-1/3d-tv-faq/
robertkjr3d likes this.

My HTPC front end set up
Integration for whole home ATSC, CableCARD, FM radio, Blu-Ray, HD-DVD, DVD, VHS control & capture, video games, and archived & streaming media playback
Mironto's Panasonic plasma black level restoration guide
Restore the initial MLL on a 2009 Panasonic plasma
post #8 of 9 Old 02-12-2013, 12:11 PM - Thread Starter

ahh It looks like I may have found a solution that wouldn't cause me to have to mortgage the house as another person put it... on the link I'm about to put. I can upgrade to a blue-ray player for the computer as it is a HTPC, and run a codec that converts that will convert from True 3D --> Anaglyph -- No one else here has done this?

See this link: http://forum.blu-ray.com/showthread.php?t=146578
post #9 of 9 Old 02-13-2013, 03:32 AM - Thread Starter

here's another interesting way of converting from true 3d... not tested myself as of yet:
http://absoluteverdict.blogspot.com/2012/10/how-to-watch-3d-movies-on-your-non-3d.html
Reply Home Theater Computers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page