Does anyone have the new Fractal Design Node 605 case? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 27 Old 02-12-2013, 01:32 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Club Gold

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 24
I'm thinking about getting this case and looking for opinions. I'm curious to see how people feel about the layout, fan noise and slimline blu-ray drive. Thanks!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 27 Old 02-12-2013, 01:34 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Liked: 121
IMHO, what holds it back is no IR window. Otherwise, I'd have one (and no I am not going to drill one out smile.gif )

post #3 of 27 Old 02-12-2013, 03:57 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by StardogChampion View Post

IMHO, what holds it back is no IR window. Otherwise, I'd have one (and no I am not going to drill one out smile.gif )

I have never had a case with an IR window, so I guess I'm just used to it. I don't like the lack of a reset button and I wish that it wasn't a slim line drive bay, but I really like the look of it.

post #4 of 27 Old 02-12-2013, 04:45 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Club Gold

Just a FYI, I'm looking at this case because I want to upgrade to a full height/length card and my old case is not the best for air flow.

post #5 of 27 Old 02-13-2013, 06:59 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by hogues View Post

I have never had a case with an IR window, so I guess I'm just used to it. I don't like the lack of a reset button and I wish that it wasn't a slim line drive bay, but I really like the look of it.

Once you have an IR window, you'll never go back wink.gif But, that's all personal preference anyway. Like, I never use a reset button so it's no big deal for me.

I agree it looks amazing. I really like minimalist brushed aluminum. I keep coming back to it too. From what I've read if you have an ATX motherboard there's no way to mount the slim optical and the fans while quiet don't do a great job of creating airflow. IIRC, in the review I looked at airflow was a complaint. I don't know if they've updated the case since.

post #6 of 27 Old 02-14-2013, 09:37 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by StardogChampion View Post

Once you have an IR window, you'll never go back wink.gif But, that's all personal preference anyway. Like, I never use a reset button so it's no big deal for me.

I agree it looks amazing. I really like minimalist brushed aluminum. I keep coming back to it too. From what I've read if you have an ATX motherboard there's no way to mount the slim optical and the fans while quiet don't do a great job of creating airflow. IIRC, in the review I looked at airflow was a complaint. I don't know if they've updated the case since.

I think that you're referring to the anandtech review, which I read too. The odd thing is that most other reviews that I have read seem to say that the airflow works well. I'm torn between this and the Silverstone gd07. I'm leaning towards the Node.

post #7 of 27 Old 02-15-2013, 11:38 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I bought the 605 last week. Paid $159. Not cheap at all. Looks like newegg has it for 129 right now.
It looks real nice, however it is too wide for me. I need to return mine. I would trade depth for width in a heart beat.
I want a nice looking case that's narrower then 14inches and can hold an ATX mobo. My options are limited....

I use a usb IR receiver that sits behind my center speakers cloth in my entertainment centers center cubby.
post #8 of 27 Old 02-15-2013, 11:48 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tommyboy10 View Post

I bought the 605 last week. Paid $159. Not cheap at all. Looks like newegg has it for 129 right now.
It looks real nice, however it is too wide for me. I need to return mine. I would trade depth for width in a heart beat.
I want a nice looking case that's narrower then 14inches and can hold an ATX mobo. My options are limited....

I use a usb IR receiver that sits behind my center speakers cloth in my entertainment centers center cubby.

I just ordered it from newegg. I'll report back.

post #9 of 27 Old 02-18-2013, 11:24 AM

Just returned it to Micro-center and am looking online for a new one. Losing ability to have an optical drive if I use a full ATX mobo and the width killed it for me.

I don't want to hijack this thread, but....

My entertainment center has an 18.5 inch space that flanks the right and left of the center speaker. Thus the width of the HTPC is pretty important.

I've had an Antec NSK2480 in there for about a year and it does ok. Temps are higher then my liking, but the little AMD 4250e and 780gmobo manage to do ok. There is about .5 inches of clearance on either side rolleyes.gif of the case for side venting airflow. Oh yeah, there is a furnace vent that blows into the bottem shelf. (The door has to always stay open when the htpc is on rolleyes.gif )

So, now I am building a new htpc (i3 3225, Asrock 6extreme full atx mobo. I'll use this mobo for my server upgrade in a year or so.

Heres my options for new cases.

4 needs:
-Fits standard ATX mobo
-No doors on front, unless very small. Cant have Optical drive hidden.
-Black
-Narrower then about 16.5inches. 14-15 is perfect!

Some ideas...

www.3rsys.com/english/products/view.asp?navi=case&idx_num=105

At 14.45inches and able to fit a full ATX mobo, while looking decently good looking (besides the double cd drive) its a winner.
However I cant find it anywhere...Any ideas? I'm in the USA

Other options are: (in order of best to meh)

Lian-Li PC-C33B
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811112228

Silverstone SST-LC10B-E-USB3.0
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811163193

NMEDIAPC HTPC 2000B
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811204032

Thoughts?
post #10 of 27 Old 02-18-2013, 12:10 PM
AVS Special Member

I have the nMediaPC 1000b, the microATX version of that case which is the same size as the 2000B (they flip the PSU on the side to make room for an ATX motherboard) and I really like it. I've had it for a couple of years. One thing to know though the optional LCD module is shite. My shelf is the same width as yours.

Lian-Li PC-C60 is one to add to your list.

I have never seen the one you have pictured.

post #11 of 27 Old 02-18-2013, 12:45 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Club Gold

If you like the look of the Node, maybe look at the Silverstond Gd07.

post #12 of 27 Old 02-19-2013, 08:04 AM

I just got the Fractal Design Node 605 case last week.......lets just say I have a friend that hooked me up smile.gif It looks amazing and matches my Onkyo AVR. I have not built it out yet but just purchased a slim bluray drive from eBay (geeks.com) for $36. I am thinking about using the new AMD CPU/GPU in this beast and adding a good video card down the road. I will post some more info once I build it out.
post #13 of 27 Old 02-19-2013, 11:42 AM

Liked: 11
My 605 came today along with a new psu since my other one died over the weekend.

Let me ask you guys are you mounting the psu with the fan to the inside or outside?
post #14 of 27 Old 02-19-2013, 11:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by egold54 View Post

My 605 came today along with a new psu since my other one died over the weekend.

Let me ask you guys are you mounting the psu with the fan to the inside or outside?

Just curious what power supply you went with and how many watts? The Seasonic are well known for being dependable and quiet but recently I like the Corsair models.
post #15 of 27 Old 02-19-2013, 11:52 AM

post #16 of 27 Old 02-19-2013, 12:33 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by egold54 View Post

I don't have a modular psu, so I would have to turn the fan inside because of the slim drive. I think I'm going to order a new psu.

post #17 of 27 Old 02-19-2013, 06:59 PM

I recently got this for my first HTPC case. Few things that could have been improved;
1) Cable Routing - Unless its modular there really isn't any. I honestly would love it if they added a bit of height for this.
2) The slim-line ODD. Not its a bad thing, Just that I wish I knew to get a modular psu/one no longer than 140mm, As I am not having trouble with connecting it all up.
3) ODD mount. I am a little fussy and I found it overly complicated to adjust the position of the ODD to get it flush with the panel.

I haven't installed a GPU yet but that shouldn't be an issue.

I would recommend a modular PSU.
post #18 of 27 Old 02-19-2013, 08:33 PM

I just got done with my build. I'll say one thing the quality of this case is unreal it looks great.

First thing I noticed when taking the top off why didn't they use thumb screws. Took the top off and noticed the dampening very cool. With all the room inside I said no problem with my full atx. I had a extra 120mm fan and nice touch that they used 4 black nuts and bolts to cover the fan screw holes. Even nicer that they included 4 black screws. I'm thinking quality quality quality case here.

My modular psu went in no problem next the mob no issues there either. perhaps a little tight to the fan edges but still no problems. This was going to be a breeze. I read all the reviews out there and thought are they kidding a slim line optical will fit no problem.

Then came the issues which everyone has said.

No cable management at all. In fact the main power cables needed to be tied down to the bottom of the case along the front of the case using the 2 tie down mounts( which one was bent down and had to bend it back up to get the tie down through) Running the usbs, firewire and hd audio not a pain but just wires everywhere. I ended up tying them to the top cross bar.

The molex connector for the fans was cheap. I needed to push down the wires from the back with a small screw driver. Maybe it was the male ends on my psu where to big anyways I started to say are they kidding here. Maybe change from a molex to a sata connector for the fans also. The only molex I needed and we know on your psu one run of molex can be 2-3 connectors at least .No need to deal with connectors you don't need.

The real issue now;

You need to be very patient with your cable mgmt. to fit both hard drive caddies in. Even with my modular it was a challenge. The drives are very close together in each caddy a heat concern for sure. I would of liked to see a cross bracket mounted to each drive to keep some space between them or at least a rubber stopper which I might add later. Its very tight to get all 4 drives in. I'm using 2 now and with adding 2 more and 2 more sata cables and power cables its going to be a nightmare. Good thing there is a fan right there.

In my opinion no way you can fit a slimline optical in this case due to cable management at least with a full atx maybe with a matx. This was no biggie for me because I do not use a optical drive in my htpc.

Im sure a lot of the cable issues is due to the case not being that deep as say a silverstone 08.

Final thoughts:

beautiful, sexy, I might stare at it more than the tv or movie I'm watching but never the wife of course I'm not stupid now
Silent
quality materials, no sharp edges and the drop down door in the front is metal not plastic that breaks within a year. I dont need the optical drive, hardly ever use the card reader and/or usb/ firewire so the door will be up most times.

I would consider another case if your building with a full atx and need a optical drive

you should consider a modular psu as others have said

very poor cable management

Concerned about the heat issues with 4 hd's hanging down over the south bridge

I would not buy this case again if I was building a full size atx htpc but damn it's one pretty case
post #19 of 27 Old 02-23-2013, 02:45 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Club Gold

I agree with everything that Andy and egold54 have said. I just installed my mobo, slim line drive, 3 hdd's and PSU. I will say that a modular PSU is a must and the smaller, the better if you are using the slimline drive, because they are very close to each other. I don't think that I'd use this for a full size case, but for anything else it's very nice. I think that it looks fantastic, too.

post #20 of 27 Old 06-04-2013, 09:09 AM

Liked: 12
Sorry for the Bump but my question has to do with this case as well

And Im wondering for those of you who have used it for a few months now how do you find the temperatures to be?

I read that one review citing the hot CPU under load and It got me to cancel my order for the Node until I was certain about its cooling capabilities

I'm going to use this as an HTPC of course but Im using components from my old gaming computer and that has me concerned now as i'll be putting a Intel i5 CPU in it as well as a HD6970 video card and 700w PSU along with 6 hard drives (2 ssd sized on an expansion bay mount)

But my heatsink isnt going to fit and Im finding a helluva time finding a suitable heatsink

I dont want to use a tower case but it seems I may just have to and sit it next to the home theatre :/

Thoughts?

Thanks

post #21 of 27 Old 06-04-2013, 10:47 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Club Gold

It runs pretty cool for me. I installed the extra 120mm fan. I have a ceton tuner and a gtx 660 twin frozr along with a smaller heat sink (can't remember which one now) and I can rarely hear the fan noise.
StylinRed likes this.

post #22 of 27 Old 06-04-2013, 11:35 AM

Liked: 12
thanks for that hmm maybe i should get it! really on the fence; any idea on your temps?

wish i could try the case out and return it if need be :/

post #23 of 27 Old 06-04-2013, 01:26 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by StylinRed View Post

thanks for that hmm maybe i should get it! really on the fence; any idea on your temps?

wish i could try the case out and return it if need be :/

I'll try to check when I get home. Overall I really like the case. It's kind of a pain to install some components, but most of the reviews do a good job spelling this out and the youtube reviews show you exactly what I mean. Mine is quiet and I love the way it looks.

post #24 of 27 Old 06-04-2013, 02:34 PM

Liked: 15
I love my case and have been using it for a couple of months... Recently, I decided to plug something into the USB port on the front and my machine rebooted. Doh. So I have some kind of short somewhere. The cable management is the biggest issue. Otherwise, the case is beautiful.
post #25 of 27 Old 06-04-2013, 06:24 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Club Gold

My cpu temp is 33C and my GPU temp is 34. Hope that helps. As stated above, cable management is the biggest problem for this case,

post #26 of 27 Old 11-29-2013, 05:45 AM

Please, could somebody check / remeasure, if it's possible to use GPU with length 269 mm and height 128 mm in this case ?? Thank you very much.

post #27 of 27 Old 04-18-2014, 04:26 PM

Having just finished my own experience with the 605, I wanted to put my 2 pence to the thread.

The slick case struck me a bit like a a shiny thing to a magpie. Didn't quite take the time to measure, or maybe I was aware it would be a push, but went for it anyway, and boy it's tight in there!

It said ATX case, so I fitted an Asus 990fx with a gygabite 680 gtx 4gb, which takes 3 slots.

Cable management is appalling! Ok, I did go for the longest card I could fit in there, but once in it's impossible to wire up the damn thing, the bar is quite annoying to say the least.

The other big issue with that setup are the drives. I can only fit a single 3.5 on the furtherst bay, the rest only support 2.5" drives.

For the noise, I fitted a Corsair hp55 liquid cooler. I actually had to fit the fan on the outside of the case, with the radiator inside. Does stick out, but I can live with that.

Overall I like the case lot, but after a day of fighting with the beast, I have only one advice: aim small. ATX motherboards will fit, but don't expect any sli or crossfire configurations with both hard drive fittings in place.
Reply Home Theater Computers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page