A first look at NZFS and replacing unRAID with NZFS’s Transparent RAID (tRAID) - Page 10 - AVS Forum
First ... 8  9  10 11  12  ... Last
Home Theater Computers > A first look at NZFS and replacing unRAID with NZFS’s Transparent RAID (tRAID)
Dark_Slayer's Avatar Dark_Slayer 11:49 AM 02-25-2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mfusick View Post

I just like only having perfect media in my libraries. Since I can rip today and manage or finish tomorrow with my method I prefer it for that reason. I will often start a process and walk away and return later. I don't have the time to sit there all the time. That's really the whole point of this all and why I appreciate the higher performance. When I want to do a task I want to get it done as fast and efficiently as possible.

I do to, but I am willing to give it an hour to hit an auto scan. I don't like to watch MCM rip movies, but I have to spend some time in the beginning/end to setup and verify that everything completed.

Otherwise MCM does it's job in the background. We get a notification in XBMC once MCM has updated the metadata, and the library get's updated. It shows up in my "recent" movies collection and works fine. If it showed up with the wrong poster, I'd go fix it. Since it's always been correct, I just lock the info when I get around to it.

Basically, I'm saying that if you properly name your folders and titles, MCM can run in the background without being micromanaged. If you let it run in the background, your library won't "bring it to it's knees" past the initial scan. Just walk away from the screen the first time it scans, because after that any new auto-scan is quick. (Similar to not watching flexraid build it's parity). I micro-manage programs that can't be properly configured or trusted. With the condition that you lock "perfect" titles and properly name new titles (don't have MCM rename them) MCM can be fully trusted in the background.

There's no problem with you enjoying the micro-management of your metadata, but it shouldn't be considered evolved or necessary for large collections. We have fairly similar setups, it wouldn't work for me and not for you

balky's Avatar balky 11:51 AM 02-25-2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by Puwaha View Post

I wish you luck, and I will keep an open mind... but I don't think 'tRAID" or "NZFS" will be anywhere in the same league as ZFS proper. I like a good boast now and then, but this last statement is just ridiculous.

Feel free to take this criticism and prove me wrong. I won't be mad. biggrin.gif

Quote:
Originally Posted by spectrumbx View Post

I would be very worried if no one was skeptic.
Plus, it is a lot lot more fun when you get to shut some people up. wink.gif

Heh heh heh... you call that skeptic... LOL...

The last time I checked, that was called reality...

FlexRAID currently isn't the most stable software RAID on the market... it is still struggling with a few of it's premature components... see my last (2 or 3) posts in this thread...

The inexistent tRAID or NZFS or whatever you call it will compete with ZFS...

No crime in dreaming... don't get me wrong... biggrin.gif
spectrumbx's Avatar spectrumbx 02:04 PM 02-25-2013
@balky
/yawn...

Try creating something that works on a wide of a range of systems and OSes as FlexRAID does and you can come tell me about what a few users might be having as far as issues.
In most cases, FlexRAID gets installed in non-sterile environments with other components influencing it or its environment. There is not much I can do about that outside of offering troubleshooting steps.
Thousands of users have managed to make it work without much fuss and are happy with it.
Out of thousands of licenses sold, I have only had to refund less than 10 (mostly change of mind). If that does not speak volume, I am not sure what does. smile.gif

This is like saying Apple and Microsoft suck because someone had an issue with their products.
Go create the best product ever and let's see if no one ever comes up with an issue. rolleyes.gif

There is a support forum where you can go troubleshoot your issues, this is not the thread for it. wink.gif
Mfusick's Avatar Mfusick 03:08 PM 02-25-2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark_Slayer View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by bryansj View Post

I may have had my Verify and Validate switched around, you can't seem to view or edit your scheduled jobs, only see the next run time.

^ THIS is so annoying. I haven't really gotten "close" with flexraid, but from what I can tell there is no "Schedule Administration Page"

Has this ever been submitted as a bug or feature request? Would a new validate schedule kill the old one?

I'd say the documentation is lacking in real-world expectations. I know I've read the words from a forum post


Verify should take the longest. It could be done monthly

Validate should be the weekly task

There is a forum post about validate finding new files even though it directly followed an update

I could link it to him. He might have a comment.

http://www.avsforum.com/t/1438027/planning-to-rebuild-my-20tb-whs-flexraid-server-information-requested/600_100#post_23010045
balky's Avatar balky 05:44 AM 02-26-2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by spectrumbx View Post

@balky
/yawn...

Try creating something that works on a wide of a range of systems and OSes as FlexRAID does and you can come tell me about what a few users might be having as far as issues.
In most cases, FlexRAID gets installed in non-sterile environments with other components influencing it or its environment. There is not much I can do about that outside of offering troubleshooting steps.
Thousands of users have managed to make it work without much fuss and are happy with it.
Out of thousands of licenses sold, I have only had to refund less than 10 (mostly change of mind). If that does not speak volume, I am not sure what does. smile.gif

This is like saying Apple and Microsoft suck because someone had an issue with their products.
Go create the best product ever and let's see if no one ever comes up with an issue. rolleyes.gif

There is a support forum where you can go troubleshoot your issues, this is not the thread for it. wink.gif

Sorry about that, if you think I meant that FlexRAID sucks...

That is far from it...

In fact I just completed a home NAS setup for a friend last weekend and it is running FlexRAID + Plex server on a Windows 8 box... no issue reported so far...

I also stated (check my posts in this thread) that the performance was quite impressive.

To correct some other impressions as well, I was able to get FlexRAID running within the first 15 minutes of me ever touching the product, which was last weekend.
But of course, I have 14yrs experience working as a Network and Systems engineer in corporate environments.

The claim that NZFS is going to outperform ZFS is what some of us here don't quite agree with...
If you have any idea what it takes in a corporate environment to adopt a new technology as a replacement for an old one that has a proven reputation, you can be sure that in 5 years from now, you're probably still offering NZFS as a free product for corporates to test with and probably still bug fixing...

For the average home user, it will probably be a no brainer... as many of them just like to have it because it is new...
But there are also many above average home users who will only change because NZFS brings to the table something they need and their current setup doesn't have...

You just need to work a bit more on your marketting approach IMO...
macks's Avatar macks 07:38 AM 02-26-2013
I found this response very interesting.

http://lime-technology.com/forum/index.php?topic=25927.45
amarshonarbangla's Avatar amarshonarbangla 08:13 AM 02-26-2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by macks View Post

I found this response very interesting.

http://lime-technology.com/forum/index.php?topic=25927.45

Lol nice.
PobjoySpecial's Avatar PobjoySpecial 08:39 AM 02-26-2013
...
captain_video's Avatar captain_video 08:49 AM 02-26-2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by PobjoySpecial View Post

Me too. Tom has class.
Just gives me one more reason to stick with unRAID. biggrin.gif
spectrumbx's Avatar spectrumbx 11:09 AM 02-26-2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by captain_video View Post

Just gives me one more reason to stick with unRAID. biggrin.gif
I too have class... and a good sense of humor. tongue.gif
I mean, why don't some of you like fun? biggrin.gif

If neither of FlexRAID or unRAID innovates, you lose as a customer.
A little tongue and cheek to get some excitement is to be taken in good stride. wink.gif
captain_video's Avatar captain_video 11:22 AM 02-26-2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by spectrumbx View Post

I too have class... and a good sense of humor. tongue.gif
That still remains to be seen. People with actual class tend not to boast but rather lead by example.
Quote:
If neither of FlexRAID or unRAID innovates, you lose as a customer.
UnRAID already does everything I need in a server utility. Innovation is a good thing, but only if I have a need to keep changing the way I use my server. I haven't lost a thing, although your posts are whittling away at any potential customer base you may have had before you started this thread so the jury's still out on who's losing more. As it's been said before, you really need to work on your marketing skills.
fitbrit's Avatar fitbrit 11:25 AM 02-26-2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by spectrumbx View Post

I too have class...

...was needed to be said by nobody whose class was apparent, ever. smile.gif
spectrumbx's Avatar spectrumbx 12:59 PM 02-26-2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by captain_video View Post

... I haven't lost a thing, although your posts are whittling away at any potential customer base you may have had before you started this thread so the jury's still out on who's losing more. As it's been said before, you really need to work on your marketing skills.
FlexRAID sales are up. Catching up yet?
People like me make their marks by going against the grain. wink.gif
Quote:
Originally Posted by fitbrit View Post

...was needed to be said by nobody whose class was apparent, ever. smile.gif
Okay, this one was a good one... will give it to ya. smile.gif

Remember though that not everything that is is always apparent. wink.gif
captain_video's Avatar captain_video 11:55 AM 02-27-2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by spectrumbx View Post

FlexRAID sales are up. Catching up yet?
Glad to hear it. At least that's an actual product people can try and decide if they like it. I have nothing against FlexRAID and it appears to be a fine product.
Quote:
People like me make their marks by going against the grain. wink.gif
If by going against the grain you mean you like rubbing people the wrong way, then I'd have to say you're off to a great start. wink.gif
Kryspy's Avatar Kryspy 07:50 PM 02-27-2013
spectrumbx with all the replies to this thread who is developing this vaporware you boast about in the first post.

All kidding aside, becasue as you say you're a kidder there is nothing comparable between what you currently offer and unRAID. I tried Flexraid for 14 days on a Ubuntu 12.04 install. The realtime RAID wasn't trustworthy and Snapshot RAID is of no interest to me. With unRAID as others have mentioned I can pull a drive and still access the files on the drive as parity rebuilds it on the fly. I understand this is a "feature" of your future product that doesn't exist until it's in the wild.

unRAID is appealing because it is a true NAS product. Once booted from flash it remains unchanged like firmware in a NAS appliance thus eliminating the need to chase down errors and crashes.

Give us a link to a nice shiny YouTube video of a running production system. This way you won't have to devulge any trade secrets.

Kryspy
BllDo's Avatar BllDo 07:49 AM 02-28-2013
What was wrong with Snapshot Raid for your application? Do you have a lot of constantly changing data?
Kryspy's Avatar Kryspy 07:53 AM 02-28-2013
Not alot of data that changes often; I know the difference and know that snapshot RAID would most likely be sufficient but since I already had a license for unRAID which provides realtime protection why would I give it up?

Kryspy
BllDo's Avatar BllDo 08:10 AM 02-28-2013
I was just curious. I have an unraid box, but the free edition and I'm almost full. Trying to figure out where to go from here.
cybrsage's Avatar cybrsage 08:27 AM 02-28-2013
Spectrumbx, when are you going to vanish again for a few months, leaving everyone in a lurch? You are about due for it, yes?
Kryspy's Avatar Kryspy 08:48 AM 02-28-2013
BIIDo,

Why not go ahead and purchase a Plus license of unRAID ? Flexraid will require you to setup a server with a full os of some sort.

Kryspy
BllDo's Avatar BllDo 09:13 AM 02-28-2013
For me it's a question of cost and expandibility

Unraid $70 for up to 6 drives, or $120 for up to 21.

Ubuntu Server $0 Flexraid Combo $60 no issues with adding extra drives up to the capicity of my server

So long as the performance is where I need, Flexraid is looking like the winner.
Kryspy's Avatar Kryspy 10:23 AM 02-28-2013
BIIDo,

You currently have 3 data disks that are nearing full and are concerned about the fact unRAID gives you only 6 or 21 disks maximum? You are either trying to convince yourself you need more to justify your Flexraid purchase or you are ignoring the advantages a NAS like appliance bring to the table.

Both have their pros and cons but Flexraid in its iteration today is not superior to unRAID IMHO.

Kryspy
amarshonarbangla's Avatar amarshonarbangla 10:40 AM 02-28-2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kryspy View Post

BIIDo,

You currently have 3 data disks that are nearing full and are concerned about the fact unRAID gives you only 6 or 21 disks maximum? You are either trying to convince yourself you need more to justify your Flexraid purchase or you are ignoring the advantages a NAS like appliance bring to the table.

Both have their pros and cons but Flexraid in its iteration today is not superior to unRAID IMHO.

Kryspy

You should lay down the advantages of unRAID for his sake smile.gif
BllDo's Avatar BllDo 11:15 AM 02-28-2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kryspy View Post

BIIDo,

You currently have 3 data disks that are nearing full and are concerned about the fact unRAID gives you only 6 or 21 disks maximum? You are either trying to convince yourself you need more to justify your Flexraid purchase or you are ignoring the advantages a NAS like appliance bring to the table.

Both have their pros and cons but Flexraid in its iteration today is not superior to unRAID IMHO.

Kryspy

I am currently testing different solutions to try and figure out what is going to be the best long term solution. I have three disks full right now, but that is just testing a few BR, DVD and CD rips. I have a lot of my media collection yet to rip. Yes six drives will get my by for a while longer, and 21 would suffice even beyond that. I don't have a particular problem with Unraid. It seems to be a fine solution, however I'm just not sure it's the solution to my problem.

If you would care to explain what the advantages to a NAS like appliance are, I would be happy to learn. Thanks.
captain_video's Avatar captain_video 11:19 AM 02-28-2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by BllDo View Post

For me it's a question of cost and expandibility

Unraid $70 for up to 6 drives, or $120 for up to 21.

Ubuntu Server $0 Flexraid Combo $60 no issues with adding extra drives up to the capicity of my server

So long as the performance is where I need, Flexraid is looking like the winner.
I believe that unRAID Pro, version 5.0-rc11, supports up to 24 drives + parity + cache, but I'd have to check to be sure. I've currently got 20 drives in my array, including parity. I do recall that there are still some slots left unassigned on the main screen so I suspect it does handle 24 drives in the latest release. I expect the release candidate will become an official release before too long, but when is anybody's guess. The rc version is extremely stable so it's pretty much just a formailty at this point. In any case, find someone else that's interested in unRAID and split the cost of a 2-pack for $149. That drops the cost to only $74.50 apiece and only $15 more than a FlexRAID combo license without the OS and extra hard drive. Add those to the cost and FlexRAID ends up costing you more.
bryansj's Avatar bryansj 11:26 AM 02-28-2013
Silly arguments going on here. Did you ever thing that someone may already be running an OS on a server?

I already had WHS2011 running for other reasons than RAID. So adding unRAID would actually cost me more money since I now need another "server" to run it. Adding FlexRAID to my current server was cheaper in both hardware cost as well as energy savings.
amarshonarbangla's Avatar amarshonarbangla 11:29 AM 02-28-2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by bryansj View Post

Silly arguments going on here. Did you ever thing that someone may already be running an OS on a server?

I already had WHS2011 running for other reasons than RAID. So adding unRAID would actually cost me more money since I now need another "server" to run it. Adding FlexRAID to my current server was cheaper in both hardware cost as well as energy savings.

I was just thinking of posting this argument mad.gif
macks's Avatar macks 11:38 AM 02-28-2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by bryansj View Post

Silly arguments going on here. Did you ever thing that someone may already be running an OS on a server?

I already had WHS2011 running for other reasons than RAID. So adding unRAID would actually cost me more money since I now need another "server" to run it. Adding FlexRAID to my current server was cheaper in both hardware cost as well as energy savings.

Thank you for adding another silly argument to the mix.
assassin's Avatar assassin 11:41 AM 02-28-2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by bryansj View Post

Silly arguments going on here. Did you ever thing that someone may already be running an OS on a server?

I already had WHS2011 running for other reasons than RAID. So adding unRAID would actually cost me more money since I now need another "server" to run it. Adding FlexRAID to my current server was cheaper in both hardware cost as well as energy savings.

+1
Mfusick's Avatar Mfusick 11:55 AM 02-28-2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by cybrsage View Post

Spectrumbx, when are you going to vanish again for a few months, leaving everyone in a lurch? You are about due for it, yes?

I don't want to get too involved into this unraid vs flexraid mess but I'll chime in on this and say that I have emailed him directly and received adequate responses and support on several occasions during his "vanish" period from AVS.

Just because he does not visit a third party website daily doesn't mean you won't get support.

There is after all an entire flexraid forum that is monitored, and he has PM and personal email for matters of support. I'm not sure his presence on AVS or lack thereof is any indication of the support you'd receive unless your demanding support through AVS in which case you possibly could be left wanting.

I've been a member for a decade, but I can't say I have visiting regularly during the entire period either. I think it's cool he is here at all. It doesn't make AVS any worse anyways.
First ... 8  9  10 11  12  ... Last

Up
Mobile  Desktop