Remote that can switch between programs? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

Old 02-12-2013, 07:12 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Is it possible to use remote like MCE or some kind of iphone app to switch between different programs? What I would like to do is this: Have minimum of 4 buttons for this use. One button would open XBMC main menu, one button would open Live TV (in XBMC for example), one button would open Steam and one button would open internet browser. If I switch between programs it shouldn't close any of them. Like if I'm in internet browser watching youtube and switch to XBMC, the internet browser should stay up and running.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-12-2013, 07:20 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 123 Post(s)
Liked: 190
Put all these apps in order on the task bar and program the Win +1, Win +2, etc commands int a Harmony remote with Media Center SE device.

Old 02-12-2013, 07:36 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks for the reply. Can you suggest few good Media Center SE devices? There remotes work will outside WMC too I suppose? I'm not planning to use WMC at all.

With Media Center remote I can navigate in XBMC and Steam too I guess? For Steam that's not necessary though since xbox controller is in your hand anyways when you are playing.

By the way, is this the best method for navigating with HTPC or am I missing something? For example, I find official XBMC remote very good for XBMC, but in my opinion it's useless for HTPC use because once you go to Steam you have to use xbox controller, or if you go to internet browser you have to use keyboard.
Old 02-12-2013, 08:37 PM
AVS Special Member

The Media Center SE Device is a device (like AVR and TV) in the Harmony remote programming software that controls a Media Center PC which is Microsoft's term for Home Theater PC.

Old 02-13-2013, 01:34 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks for the clarification smile.gif

In the Harmony Touch videos it says you can have your favourite channel icons on the home screen for fast access. Is it possible to replace the tv channel icons with XBMC, Steam and Firefox for example?

Logitech's remotes are only option? I read that Harmony remotes will be discontinued by the end of the year: http://www.ign.com/articles/2013/01/24/logitech-to-discontinue-console-gaming-products-harmony-remotes
Old 02-13-2013, 06:39 AM
AVS Special Member

Don't use the Harmony Touch unless you want to be constantly looking down at the touch screen rather than at your TV. If you go that route you might as well get a remote control app for your smart phone or tablet (assuming you have those).

Get one with buttons like the One or the 900 or even the 650 or 300.

Old 02-13-2013, 11:33 AM - Thread Starter

Ok. The Harmony Touch was just cheaper so I though I would go with that one as it's the newest model.

Is there any good apps for iphone or ipad that does the same? Would like to try those first as apps are usually cheap. All apps that I've tried so far are just very complicated and I've had to go through sub menus etc to switch from program to other.
Old 02-13-2013, 12:09 PM
AVS Special Member

I don't use anything but the ceton MyMediaCenter app which is basically for WindowsMediaCenter and AVR Remote for my Denon AVR.

There's other apps but IDK which is best. I like a remote with tactile buttons over touch screen apps for control of playback myself.

Old 02-13-2013, 01:50 PM - Thread Starter

I think I would still prefer an iphone app. Perfect app would be one that has two (or more if wanted) "pages" on it and you could switch between them by swiping to right and left. First page would have icons only just like iphone home screen and every icon would be customizable/programmable to do what you want. The second page would have basic controls for moving around and things like "ok/enter", back, exit etc. You could choose to use it with arrows or buy swiping just like the option you have with XBMC remote app.
Old 02-13-2013, 02:37 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 557 Post(s)
Liked: 429
I'm pretty sure you just described HippoRemote. I have a couple of pages per profile with customizable layouts and commands (screen shots HERE). Many profiles have already been created. HERE's a sample. Just make keyboard shortcuts for your programs and assign them to buttons in Hippo.
Old 02-13-2013, 03:57 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdavej View Post

I'm pretty sure you just described HippoRemote. I have a couple of pages per profile with customizable layouts and commands (screen shots HERE). Many profiles have already been created. HERE's a sample. Just make keyboard shortcuts for your programs and assign them to buttons in Hippo.

In their demo video when the user changes from WMC to Firefox she have to close WMC by moving the mouse: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-o3GeEfeec4&t=1m35s

Is it possible to do it like I said in my last post that you would have icons on the Hippo and by clicking those you would switch between the programs so that the programs would not close but instead they would run in a background?
Old 02-13-2013, 05:17 PM
AVS Addicted Member

I just added a button called task switch that sends alt+tab, and it works just fine for that purpose.
Old 02-13-2013, 05:49 PM - Thread Starter

Ok. This looks like ok solution compared to others around.
Old 02-20-2013, 12:01 PM - Thread Starter

I'm using the auto hide feature for my taskbar. Is it possible to make the taskbar so that it doesn't jump up when I press Win+1 etc? It is annoying now when it moves up and down constantly.
Old 02-20-2013, 12:10 PM
AVS Special Member

Mine does that but not each time.. Maybe the first time per session of WMC but after that it just jumps to Media Browser as this is what I use this for.

Old 02-20-2013, 12:26 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 31
Another option is using a program like Eventghost. Hit the buttons that you want to map to xbmc, mce etc. and then set those buttons within Eventghost to open the desired program. This is how I do exactly what you are talking about.
Old 02-20-2013, 08:46 PM - Thread Starter

Can I do the Eventghost thing with HippoRemote too? I have the HippoRemote Lite now which is free and can't do anything but the basic controlling. There is two options for upgrading; first one is "remove ads" (Basic) which costs 1.79€ and it says you get everything but "profiles" with that upgrade. Then there's HippoRemote Pro that costs 4.49€ which has the profles. Can I do what I need with the Basic upgrade or do I need the Pro version with the profiles? Their information about the differences are not that good: http://blog.hipporemote.com/2010/02/hipporemote-basic-2-0-2/
Old 02-20-2013, 09:58 PM
AVS Addicted Member

I'm no expert on event ghost, but I think it works with IR primarily. Hippo isn't IR. If 2 euros is a deal breaker, then you should probably keep looking for a free solution, no matter how complex and time consuming.
Old 02-20-2013, 10:39 PM - Thread Starter

I'm just asking which of the versions I should buy Basic or Pro. I have no hurry to buy the app and I rather buy one I need than both.

Found app called Mobile Mouse Pro too: https://itunes.apple.com/app/mobile-mouse-pro-remote-trackpad/id289616509

Seems to have similar features. Have to try both of these tomorrow.
Old 02-21-2013, 05:13 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 31
Quote:
Originally Posted by onse View Post

Can I do the Eventghost thing with HippoRemote too? I have the HippoRemote Lite now which is free and can't do anything but the basic controlling. There is two options for upgrading; first one is "remove ads" (Basic) which costs 1.79€ and it says you get everything but "profiles" with that upgrade. Then there's HippoRemote Pro that costs 4.49€ which has the profles. Can I do what I need with the Basic upgrade or do I need the Pro version with the profiles? Their information about the differences are not that good: http://blog.hipporemote.com/2010/02/hipporemote-basic-2-0-2/

...I skipped over the post where you said you are looking for an Iphone app now, my bad.

I use Eventghost with a ir remote. I have no idea if it works with an Iphone.
Old 02-21-2013, 07:50 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

I'm just asking which of the versions I should buy Basic or Pro. I have no hurry to buy the app and I rather buy one I need than both.

Found app called Mobile Mouse Pro too: https://itunes.apple.com/app/mobile-mouse-pro-remote-trackpad/id289616509

Seems to have similar features. Have to try both of these tomorrow.
Pro version does profiles and all the rest, which I find very useful. I've never tried the basic version. So I can't help you there.

I've used mobile mouse as well. It's very cool and slicker than Hippo in some ways. However, there are times when it will go completely out to lunch, so it was never reliable enough for me. For example, you will lose control on certain system level pop-ups (UAC related ones) and on the windows login screen. This doesn't happen very often, but when it does, you have to plug in a real keyboard or do a hard reboot to recover. Hippo has no problems in those cases. If you can live with that, mobile mouse has a really cool feature which is air mouse mode, where you simply point your phone to move the cursor, like a Wii-mote or gyration mouse. I never got the hang of it, but some people like it.

You may also run across logitech's free mouse app. It's the worst of the lot, so don't waste your time.
Old 02-21-2013, 11:12 AM - Thread Starter

Is it possible to choose audio and subtitle tracks in XBMC with HippoRemote? I havent found any screenshots of HippoRemote XBMC setups.

Is it possible to make the remote to switch between different pads when different program is choosed? For example, if I have macro button for win+4 which brings up Firefox, HippoRemote would automaticly display mousepad. Then when I press button that has macro for win+1 which is XBMC, HippoRemote would change back to XBMC pad.

Can I change the buttons on the bottom row where there's five buttons "green, arrowpad, playpad, numpad, macros" so that there would be "xbmc, live tv, steam, firefox, desktop" and those buttons would have macros with win+1, win+2, win+3, win+4, win+d?

See the picture:

Old 02-21-2013, 11:43 AM

Liked: 12
I use 'Unified Remote' on an Android phone. The mouse functionality is particularly good and the choice of remotes is very impressive XBMC; MPC-HC, JRiver, Netflix etc etc etc
Old 02-21-2013, 12:29 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

Is it possible to choose audio and subtitle tracks in XBMC with HippoRemote? I havent found any screenshots of HippoRemote XBMC setups.

Is it possible to make the remote to switch between different pads when different program is choosed? For example, if I have macro button for win+4 which brings up Firefox, HippoRemote would automaticly display mousepad. Then when I press button that has macro for win+1 which is XBMC, HippoRemote would change back to XBMC pad.

Can I change the buttons on the bottom row where there's five buttons "green, arrowpad, playpad, numpad, macros" so that there would be "xbmc, live tv, steam, firefox, desktop" and those buttons would have macros with win+1, win+2, win+3, win+4, win+d?
If you can perform those functions with keystrokes, they can also be done with Hippo. I don't know how to automatically call screen changes, but the profile authoring is well documented on the site. I do know that it works the other way around, meaning, if you pick a profile it will launch the associated app on your PC. For example, if I pick the WMC profile, it will switch to the WMC pad and also launch (or switch to) media center on my PC. You can customize the bottom row somewhat, but I don't remember the limitations.

I use an IR remote 99% of the time and don't use XBMC at all. I only use Hippo on rare occasions for a keyboard/mouse, web browsing, Hulu, BBC iPlayer and Daum Player. I've never attempted the advanced functionality your asking about, so those are the limits of my knowledge on the subject. You may want to start a new thread or post where the nuts and bolts of Hippo and XBMC are discussed. Or if you think you'll find Hippo at all useful, just buy it and start experimenting. That's what I did.

I don't think there is an iOS version of 'unified remote' mentioned earlier.

Here are the current XBMC screens. You can add whatever you like to them.

Old 02-21-2013, 02:16 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 36
I can't imagine doing without my Harmony One remotes. I just wish they were cheaper.
Old 02-21-2013, 02:26 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TornadoTJ View Post

I can't imagine doing without my Harmony One remotes. I just wish they were cheaper.
I agree that universal remotes are indispensable in a home theater. I probably haven't used an OEM remote in at least 10 years. I don't use harmony anymore (I use JP1 and Xsight due to better programming capabilities and lower price), but there are many cheaper alternatives to the One. If you don't have more than 5 or 6 devices then the 600, 650 and 700 work pretty much the same as the One and are much lower cost. Refurbs work just as well and are even cheaper. Older models like the 880, 550 and 360 are even better IMO. I'm just not sure what the future holds for the entire Harmony product line now that Logitech is dumping it. So there is some risk in buying a harmony right now.
Old 02-21-2013, 02:57 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 36
The XSight ins't cheap, or at least not where I looked.
Old 02-22-2013, 08:37 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TornadoTJ View Post

The XSight ins't cheap, or at least not where I looked.
Not any more. But back when they were still being made, I got a couple of used Xsight Touches for $40 each and a couple of Xsight Pluses for $25 each. Those are comparable to the Harmony 900 and 650 respectively. Anyway, I was mostly referring to JP1 remotes when I said cheap. They typically run $3-$20. I wouldn't recommend Xsight to anyone today because they are almost impossible to find in the US except on ebay now and then. I do recommend JP1 because they are very cheap and far more programmable than harmony (conditional branching, nested subroutines, unlimited devices, very fast macros, custom protocols, pronto hex import, etc.). The biggest drawback is most have no LCD display for extra functions. All functions must go on physical buttons. But you can put 5 functions per buttons (short press, long press, shifted, double shifted, and double press). The problem is remembering where you put everything.

EDIT: It looks like a few sellers have come out of the woodwork and you can buy Xsight again. Even at $190 the Touch is a bargain compared to the 900.