Custom HTPC with touchscreen - AVS Forum
Home Theater Computers > Custom HTPC with touchscreen
crazymexican33's Avatar crazymexican33 08:42 AM 02-13-2013
I have been looking for ages for a decent HTPC case. I've been dissatisfied with what is available and the ones that I do like are way too expensive. So I've decided that I will mod an existing case to get what I want at a more affordable price.

These are the parts I am looking at.

Lian Li PC-C60 USB 3.0 HTPC case

Silverstone MFP51 IR reciever with display

Griffin PowerMate, USB Multimedia Controller Knob
http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Griffin-PowerMate-USB-Multimedia-Controller-Knob-NEW-/290668941557?pt=AU_Input_Peripherals&hash=item43ad3810f5

7inch TFT LCD Touch Screen 1080p
http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/7inch-TFT-LCD-Touch-Screen-On-Camera-HD-Monitor-with-1080P-HDMI-DVI-VGA-AV-Input-/110999121379?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_3&hash=item19d8102de3

Here's a mock up of what the build will look like. I'll be using the black version of the lian li case though

I'm not sure whether to mount the display as it is or remove the screens housing and mount it flush with the front of the case.

Please share any ideas.

DavidT99's Avatar DavidT99 08:58 AM 02-13-2013
A question..............why would you have a touchscreen on an HTPC, surely the idea of an HTPC is to control it from the couch. Do you have very long arms. smile.gif

David
Sammy2's Avatar Sammy2 09:17 AM 02-13-2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidT99 View Post

A question..............why would you have a touchscreen on an HTPC, surely the idea of an HTPC is to control it from the couch. Do you have very long arms. smile.gif

David

Can't really add much to that.
crazymexican33's Avatar crazymexican33 09:23 AM 02-13-2013
There are a number of uses. When Listening to music I'm not going to have my TV running am I. And then when I want to Choose a song i'm not going to sit at my couch with a remote squinting at the touchsceen. Derrr.
Sammy2's Avatar Sammy2 09:35 AM 02-13-2013
Okay. I have my HTPC in an enclosure with solid doors that remain closed. I use my remote and then select and control music while looking at my TV, but I can see your point too.
Sammy2's Avatar Sammy2 09:37 AM 02-13-2013
I think that if you remove the display from the housing and do a flush mount it will look nicer if the edges of the case look finished enough to do that. It is a Lian Li so I presume it is finished.
DavidT99's Avatar DavidT99 10:33 AM 02-13-2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by crazymexican33 View Post

There are a number of uses. When Listening to music I'm not going to have my TV running am I. And then when I want to Choose a song i'm not going to sit at my couch with a remote squinting at the touchsceen. Derrr.

I can do this too with a remote app on my Android tablet and phone. I believe there are also apps available for the iPhones.I use XBMC as my front end but presumably there are similar apps available for MP and WMC smile.gif.

To each their own, its your money. I admit it will look cool and impress your family / friends. biggrin.gif

David
Up
Mobile  Desktop