WMC and EPG - ease of use - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 14 Old 02-13-2013, 09:13 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Considering building a HTPC from scratch to replace my Comcast DVR.
Software questions:
Is the WMC interface easy to use?
Will WMC get my Comcast lineup using EPG?
Any monthly cost for using WMC?

I'm really not sure which direction to go: HTPC + WMC (w/ cablecard) or Tivo or Comcast DVR
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 Old 02-13-2013, 09:16 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 123 Post(s)
Liked: 190
Yes
Yes
No

Get a CableCARD tuner and skip the excessive TiVo fees.

post #3 of 14 Old 02-13-2013, 11:23 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 96 Post(s)
Liked: 71
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sammy2 View Post

Yes
Yes
No

Get a CableCARD tuner and skip the excessive TiVo fees.

I concur.

Just make sure you set up WMC with remote, not the cheap ass way with keyboard and mouse. It is meant to be used with a remote. Makes WAF significantly higher.

6 TV's in the house on FiOS and we only pay $4.99/month to connect them all!!! Power to the CableCard and WMC7!!!
post #4 of 14 Old 02-18-2013, 08:37 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 50 Post(s)
Liked: 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by blueiedgod View Post

I concur.

Just make sure you set up WMC with remote, not the cheap ass way with keyboard and mouse. It is meant to be used with a remote. Makes WAF significantly higher.

Are we going to go through this again? Using a mouse is better and not "cheap ass" at all. I'd only use a remote if forced to do so, and if I was so forced I'd probably go back to a DVR because one of the main advantages of a HTPC would have been lost.
post #5 of 14 Old 02-18-2013, 11:31 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 23

We use a remote with WMC 95% of the time.  No need for a keyboard/mouse unless I need to stream something from a web site directly (rare) or to do maintenance (update software, windows updates, etc)  WMC with integrated Netflix and Hulu Desktop takes care of almost all of our media needs and it all supports a remote. 

Scott
post #6 of 14 Old 02-18-2013, 03:33 PM
AVS Special Member

Whatever. I use a remote 0% of the time because a remote is completely unnecessary and remotes are a PITA. Some people like mice and some people like to attach 1960s technology to a computer. wink.gif

But my response was to blueiedgod, spreading a bunch of nonsense about how not having a remote is "cheap ass" and won't result in a high WAF. My wife uses the mouse just fine and has never complained when we transitioned from a Tivo with a remote.
post #7 of 14 Old 02-18-2013, 03:39 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 93 Post(s)
Liked: 195
Agree to disagree.

post #8 of 14 Old 02-18-2013, 05:28 PM
AVS Special Member

Why should I agree to something that's wrong? That's absurd.

Different people like different things. I hate remotes and find them completely unnecessary on an HTPC. Some people like remotes. It's a difference of opinion. The only thing that's wrong is to say that a remote is either necessary or useless.
post #9 of 14 Old 02-18-2013, 05:48 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 37 Post(s)
Liked: 55
Quote:
Originally Posted by Karyk View Post

Different people like different things. I hate remotes and find them completely unnecessary on an HTPC. Some people like remotes. It's a difference of opinion. The only thing that's wrong is to say that a remote is either necessary or useless.

Your opinion would certainly be in the minority... a tiny minority at that. Enjoy WMC via whatever interface device makes your heart flutter. We could care less. For most people who are not sitting at the PC, using WMC with a remote is the preferred option.

For those of us who have WMC Extenders a remote is probably the only or only practical way to run it. I know my HP x280n comes with a very excellent remote and is intended to be operated with it. I like the remote so much bought extas and I am using it as a universal remote in several rooms whether they have HTPCs or extenders. Nice green button and all the appropriate WMC keys to support the as designed Windows Media Center 10' interface. Oh I have a Lenovo min-keyboard and mouse. Only use it for maintenance on my main HTPC which would be much less than 1 percent of the time WMC is playing.

Just another blank signature.
post #10 of 14 Old 02-18-2013, 06:09 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 54 Post(s)
Liked: 62
Quote:

Most people who use HTPCs try to get a configuration and appearance of it being more than a computer at the TV - they go for a STB/device like experience - hence, they prefer to use a remote.

If all you want is a computer at your TV - then sure, mouse and keyboard.
post #11 of 14 Old 02-18-2013, 10:06 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 160 Post(s)
Liked: 249
Quote:
Originally Posted by gtgray View Post

Quote:

Your opinion would certainly be in the minority... a tiny minority at that. Enjoy WMC via whatever interface device makes your heart flutter. We could care less. For most people who are not sitting at the PC, using WMC with a remote is the preferred option.

For those of us who have WMC Extenders a remote is probably the only or only practical way to run it. I know my HP x280n comes with a very excellent remote and is intended to be operated with it. I like the remote so much bought extas and I am using it as a universal remote in several rooms whether they have HTPCs or extenders. Nice green button and all the appropriate WMC keys to support the as designed Windows Media Center 10' interface. Oh I have a Lenovo min-keyboard and mouse. Only use it for maintenance on my main HTPC which would be much less than 1 percent of the time WMC is playing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by staknhalo View Post

Quote:

Most people who use HTPCs try to get a configuration and appearance of it being more than a computer at the TV - they go for a STB/device like experience - hence, they prefer to use a remote.

If all you want is a computer at your TV - then sure, mouse and keyboard.
I am so glad there are folks like you who can speak for 'most people'. Have you considered a job in Government? I mean if we only had a few good guys who knew what 'most people want' we could easily do away with elections and other bothersome 'choice' issues...wink.gif
post #12 of 14 Old 02-18-2013, 10:40 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
If you want to use a remote, use a remote. If you want to use a keyboard/mouse, use a keyboard/mouse. If you are new to the HTPC world, try them both and see what you like best. Can we move on and let this die already?
post #13 of 14 Old 02-19-2013, 12:06 AM

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked: 23
So much of the decision surrounding remotes and other control devices centers around who the users are and what they're doing with it. Specifically..

1. Are you designing primarily for DVR/cable STB replacement?
2. Are you the only user, or will wives/children using it?
3. Are you trying to replicate the ease of use of a typical cable STB?
4. What is your comfort level with technology? That of the other users?

I've been using HTPC's for about three years now. Both of them are used by my wife and 7 year old son. My son took to the system very well. I use Harmony remotes for "typical" uses and a DiNovo mini for keyboard/mouse functionality. My wife is ok with the Harmony, but only after many months of exposure to it. She won't touch the mini. The idea of using a keyboard & mouse in front of her TV is still foreign and very uncomfortable.

So, I designed for that situation. There is no better or worse.. just what works for you and the people you share your home with. Ultimately, if the system is hard to use, it'll sit in a corner and collect dust.. which to me would be the ultimate insult to my investment in time, money and research.
post #14 of 14 Old 02-19-2013, 06:15 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 93 Post(s)
Liked: 195
Please visit this thread and let it die again

http://www.avsforum.com/t/1457286/do-i-need-a-remote
lockdown571 likes this.

Reply Home Theater Computers

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page