Doable goals and plan? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 4 Old 02-13-2013, 09:42 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I'm looking to join the ranks of cable cutters and save a fair amount of money every month when we move into our new house at the end of March. With that in mind I've set the following goals and picked out components to build a HTPC, I'm undecided on Windows or Linux. I have quite a bit of experience with Linux so leaning that way, but need to have things be fiancee approved as far as ease of use goes.
[Goals
DVR local OTA channels (mostly for Survivor)
Have Discovery, History, A&E and simliar channels available
Amazon Prime streaming compatible (I'd like to avoid having 3 roku's)
Stream to 61" Samsung in 1080P through HDMI to my Onkyo reciever with 5.1 surround
Stream wirelessly to at least two Roku's at 720p, with 1080p perferred (most likely only 1 roku and the 61" will ever be watched at the same time), for these two TV's the Roku will be the only external input.

Plan
Build this HTPC box:
AMD A10-5800K 3.8Ghz CPU
Gigabyte GA-F2A85x motherboard
Crucial 8GB (2x4GB)
Corsair Nova Series 2 30GB SSD
Seagate Barracuda 3TB
Apex DM-317 micro-ATX case
HDHomeRun Dual tuner
Some undtermined HD antenna likely in the attic

Debating XBMC vs Windows 7 Media server
Thinking I'll have to run Plex and might have to subscribe to Hulu though I'm open to other options to get shows in a timely manner.
Long term I plan to work on ripping all of our DVD's and Blu-Rays to MKV and added either NAS or other external storage that is at least mirrored if not RAID5.

So please give me throughs and let me know if I missed anything in my basic plan. I'll add that based off of the advice of a friend I have started ordering the PC parts, so the motherboard, memory and case aren't going to change.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 Old 02-13-2013, 09:59 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Liked: 62
30 Gb SSD may be too small for Win 7.

How are you going to have History, A&E, Discovery, TLC available without paying for cable?

Edit: How are you going to have streaming services without high speed internet? Cable? FiOS? DSL? Not really cord cutting, especially if you go with FiOS, since naked internet is roughly the same cost as tirple play bundle.

Even if you were to get just the internet from your ISP, for let's say $30/month. HULU PLus, Netflix, or whatever else you subscribe to will be another $10- $20/month, which is about what it would cost to have TV and internet bundled together anyways.

6 TV's in the house on FiOS and we only pay $4.99/month to connect them all!!! Power to the CableCard and WMC7!!!
post #3 of 4 Old 02-13-2013, 10:44 AM - Thread Starter

Liked: 10
I have to have an Internet connection since I work from home, so I didn't even think to mention it and figure pretty much everyone has high speed home internet access.

As far as Discover and what not, that was my question, can I get those channels at a reasonable rate? Right now our DirecTV bill with one HD DVR, SD DVR, and a basic box is $105 with no permium channels. Our DSL and phone bundle is about another $90, last I checked I could save $5 by adding DirecTv to the bundle but with us looking at dropping them it hasn't been worth it. So if I can drop the monthly bill to even something like $15 for Hulu or some other streaming service plus the Amazon prime I've already got for the frequent orders I do, we are looking at a big savings and a pay back period of less than a year on building the HTPC and going this route. Also thinking of going with Vonage for voice, though the discount on the DSL is almost as good as DSL + Voice from CenturyLink vs. DSL + Vonage. I have to price both Comcast and CenturyLink with no extra services and at least the 12Mb service from each.
post #4 of 4 Old 02-13-2013, 12:47 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 31
Have Discovery, History, A&E and simliar channels available
Amazon Prime streaming compatible

These are both problematic. Amazon doesn't have an app for Windows. Just there website.

If you cut the cord then you will lose channels.
Reply Home Theater Computers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page