HTPC surround sound with DENON AMPlifier - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 23 Old 02-13-2013, 02:11 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Howdy
I bit the bullet and had an HTPC built--fractal design case, i7, 16GB ram. On board video and audio. I attach the video/audio to my DENON AVR 1912 5.1 surround speakers. works fine. Win7 Pro. PROBLEM is I watch TIVO on another HDMI input so I switch to that occasionally. When I switch back the sound card reverts to stereo. I can set it back to 5.1 with control panel-sound configure, but it always reverts to stereo. Drives me crazy. Any thoughts?
Doug
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 23 Old 02-13-2013, 07:27 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 33
Make sure your AVR is set to keep the audio instead of passing through the TV's audio. Most TVs will only show up as stereo, and when your AVR resets the HDMI connection on the input switch, it may be passing through the capabilities of the TV, instead of the AVR.
post #3 of 23 Old 02-14-2013, 08:53 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 53 Post(s)
Liked: 67
Why is there a TiVO when you already have an HTPC? Win 7 is perfectly capable of decrypting CableTV and you don't have to pay for it, like you do with TiVO.
Sammy2 likes this.

6 TV's in the house on FiOS and we only pay $4.99/month to connect them all!!! Power to the CableCard and WMC7!!!
post #4 of 23 Old 02-14-2013, 09:58 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 75 Post(s)
Liked: 181
Quote:
Originally Posted by blueiedgod View Post

Why is there a TiVO when you already have an HTPC? Win 7 is perfectly capable of decrypting CableTV and you don't have to pay for it, like you do with TiVO.

^^ This ^^

post #5 of 23 Old 02-14-2013, 12:49 PM
post #6 of 23 Old 02-14-2013, 03:48 PM - Thread Starter

That's a good point. I have used TIVO for 10 years, just got used to it. I am still fumbling with WIN7 TV. I did buy a CETON quad cable card for this rig and it works well, but I am having issues with the computer's motherboard resetting the video or sound driver and not working correctly. Tivo definitely have the advantage of being a self contained idiot proof recording system that works pretty well. It's getting old, though (it's a series three) and I am seeing how modern technology stacks up against this 4-5 year old system.
Doug
post #7 of 23 Old 02-14-2013, 03:52 PM - Thread Starter

YEs, please see below I would like to give up tivo, but I am still working out the kinks in the HTPC. I still need to gobble up the new remote (Windows PC remote) into my Harmony remote. I am hoping eventually to have this HTPC take over, but it's not yet ready for prime time. I was hoping XBMC or some other interface would work with my CETON quad cable tuner, but it doesn't, so I am stuck with WMC for now. It's not as slick as tivo, but there's a learning curve that I might be able to overcome!
DOug
post #8 of 23 Old 02-15-2013, 05:01 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks, I think You're right. Any idea how to do this?
Doug
post #9 of 23 Old 02-15-2013, 07:23 PM
AVS Special Member

Any idea how to do what?

post #10 of 23 Old 02-15-2013, 08:04 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked: 52
Quote:
Originally Posted by dkeene View Post

YEs, please see below I would like to give up tivo, but I am still working out the kinks in the HTPC. I still need to gobble up the new remote (Windows PC remote) into my Harmony remote. I am hoping eventually to have this HTPC take over, but it's not yet ready for prime time. I was hoping XBMC or some other interface would work with my CETON quad cable tuner, but it doesn't, so I am stuck with WMC for now. It's not as slick as tivo, but there's a learning curve that I might be able to overcome!
DOug

I am not sure what is so special about Tivo unless you are comparing it to a CableCo DVR. I have both Tivo and HTPC and I don't any longer have to pay for my Tivo HD

.Actually what makes the HTPC more useful and will eventually (any day now) get me to pull the cable card out the Tivo is the easy integration of a non Harmony Remote with the HTPC and of course real WME extenders that work. Not Echos... I use the Remote that came with the HP x280N (bought several from eBay) throughout my house. It is a full WMC and HP WME remote, does both with support for separate DVD Player, STB and AVR. Only problem is I need to mark the remotes for the rooms they belong in because the equpment slightly different. My Tivo HD is just plugged in. I need to pull the plug on it. I may wait just a bit longer as I would like to consider a heftier graphics card for the HTPC. I have been using intel integrated and would not want to be down for any duration in case of anything unexpected. I use the HTPC direct rather than an Extender in my living room.

I use a Denon AVR 2112ci but everything goes through my Radiance VP as a hub for VP duites including 125 Point Color Calibration. It all works great.

JRiver Media Center is about to support the Ceton how good that support will be in the begining remains to be seen.

Just another blank signature.
post #11 of 23 Old 02-15-2013, 09:29 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gtgray View Post

I am not sure what is so special about Tivo unless you are comparing it to a CableCo DVR. I have both Tivo and HTPC and I don't any longer have to pay for my Tivo HD

.Actually what makes the HTPC more useful and will eventually (any day now) get me to pull the cable card out the Tivo is the easy integration of a non Harmony Remote with the HTPC and of course real EME extenders that work. Not Echos... I use the Remote that came with the HP x280N (bought several from eBay) throughout my house. It is a full WMC and HP WME remote, does both with support for separate DVD Player, STB and AVR. Only problem is I need to mark the remotes for the rooms they belong in because the equpment slightly different. My Tivo HD is just plugged in. I need to pull the plug on it. I may wait just a bit longer as I would like to consider a heftier graphics card for the HTPC. I have been using intel integrated and would not want to be down for any duration in case of anything unexpected. I use the HTPC direct rather than an Extender in my living room.

I use a Denon AVR 2112ci but everything goes through my Radiance VP as a hub for VP duites including 125 Point Color Calibration. It all works great.

JRiver Media Center is about to support the Ceton how good that support will be in the begining remains to be seen.

Where did you hear this and what does it mean? Echo or InfiniTV4?

post #12 of 23 Old 02-15-2013, 11:04 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked: 52
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sammy2 View Post

Where did you hear this and what does it mean? Echo or InfiniTV4?

InfiniTV4 in the JR thread here and on their Interact Forum.

Just another blank signature.
post #13 of 23 Old 02-16-2013, 06:59 AM - Thread Starter

I was pissed after i got my Ceton InviniTV to hear that JRiver did not support it. That may be a game changer if they do, might give TIVO a competition...
Doug
post #14 of 23 Old 02-16-2013, 07:45 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by gtgray View Post

.Actually what makes the HTPC more useful and will eventually (any day now) get me to pull the cable card out the Tivo is the easy integration of a non Harmony Remote with the HTPC and of course real WME extenders that work. Not Echos... I use the Remote that came with the HP x280N (bought several from eBay) throughout my house. It is a full WMC and HP WME remote, does both with support for separate DVD Player, STB and AVR. Only problem is I need to mark the remotes for the rooms they belong in because the equpment slightly different. My Tivo HD is just plugged in. I need to pull the plug on it. I may wait just a bit longer as I would like to consider a heftier graphics card for the HTPC. I have been using intel integrated and would not want to be down for any duration in case of anything unexpected. I use the HTPC direct rather than an Extender in my living room.

I don't understand why all of you pay for cable service. With NetFlix, Hulu, Amazon, and Free Over the air HDTV why would you pay for cable. If you rally want to save mony, get rid of the cable.

Bruce.in.Triangle NC
Firewire is alive and kicking!
post #15 of 23 Old 02-16-2013, 08:09 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Liked: 230
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruce Embry View Post

I don't understand why all of you pay for cable service. With NetFlix, Hulu, Amazon, and Free Over the air HDTV why would you pay for cable. If you rally want to save mony, get rid of the cable.

Sports.
post #16 of 23 Old 02-16-2013, 10:04 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked: 61
And for many of us OTA is not an option. Or would cost more in tower/antenna than we pay for cable!wink.gif
post #17 of 23 Old 02-16-2013, 11:05 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 92 Post(s)
Liked: 257
Quote:

OTA is not possible where I live.
College sports are going more and more towards cable only.
MLB blacks out local games on the livestream.
Netflix, Hulu, and Amazon are useless for current kids programming.
Call me when NFL Redzone and NFL Sunday Ticket are available online.

Nice that what works for you, works for you. It doesn't work for everyone.

Looky here!
post #18 of 23 Old 02-18-2013, 10:02 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Where do I sign up for FREE Netflix?

Amazon is only "free" if you pay the $75 Prime, so not free.

We do use the FREE Hulu Desktop integrated into WMC.

How do you get Hulu, Netflix, or Amazon if you don't have high speed internet? Dial up?

If you are paying for HSI, most companies make it really cost effective to sign up for all 3 services for a few pennies more. Naked FiOS is like $60/month. We pay $65/month for Triple play (HD Prime, 20/5 internet, and phone) and $4/month for the CableCard.

So, for $5 more per month it is really hard to beat TV package.

I just recently bought an antenna in anticipation of Verizon encrypting locals (we use 4x CableCard tuners for encrypted content, and 4x ClearQAM/ATSC tuners for non-encrypted content). Bought an $18 Amplified and mototrized antenna from Sears that was like a puzzle to put together. Have yet to figure out optimal position for all the channels. Unless I can figure out how to make WMC send positioning signal to the antenna motor when certain channels are tuned. But, what happens when you record multiple channels at the same time?

6 TV's in the house on FiOS and we only pay $4.99/month to connect them all!!! Power to the CableCard and WMC7!!!
post #19 of 23 Old 02-18-2013, 10:32 AM
AVS Special Member

Because streamed content is crap, sports and not wanting to spend a bunch of time hunting down other stuff. Sometimes it is okay to just pop on the TV and veg

post #20 of 23 Old 02-18-2013, 10:48 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 46 Post(s)
Liked: 126
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sammy2 View Post

Because streamed content is crap, sports and not wanting to spend a bunch of time hunting down other stuff. Sometimes it is okay to just pop on the TV and veg
+1, except that I've always got something pre-recorded to watch. I've got more series recordings set up than I have time to watch and more movies stored on my server that I will probably never have time to see, except for those brief intervals when I've caught up to my recorded shows and they've all gone into reruns. Streamed content is generally lower res than broadcast TV and limited to stereo audio. Some streaming services force you to sit through commercials, which totally defeats the purpose of owning a DVR. I can view a one-hour TV program in about 42-45 minutes sans commercials. That's over 15 minutes per program that I can dedicate to other more important things, like spending more quality time with the grandkids. I even record "live" sporting events and start viewing them 30-45 minutes after they've begun so I can skip past the commercials. With live NFL games, I generally get caught up to live TV somewhere around the final two minutes of regulation play.
post #21 of 23 Old 02-19-2013, 10:20 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by captain_video View Post

+1, except that I've always got something pre-recorded to watch. I've got more series recordings set up than I have time to watch and more movies stored on my server that I will probably never have time to see, except for those brief intervals when I've caught up to my recorded shows and they've all gone into reruns. Streamed content is generally lower res than broadcast TV and limited to stereo audio. Some streaming services force you to sit through commercials, which totally defeats the purpose of owning a DVR. I can view a one-hour TV program in about 42-45 minutes sans commercials. That's over 15 minutes per program that I can dedicate to other more important things, like spending more quality time with the grandkids. I even record "live" sporting events and start viewing them 30-45 minutes after they've begun so I can skip past the commercials. With live NFL games, I generally get caught up to live TV somewhere around the final two minutes of regulation play.

Try watching pre-recorded content at 2x. WMC does the sound at 2x, but you watch an hour of programming in like 20 minutes (2x and skip commercials).

post #22 of 23 Old 02-20-2013, 06:42 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 46 Post(s)
Liked: 126
Quote:
Originally Posted by blueiedgod View Post

Try watching pre-recorded content at 2x. WMC does the sound at 2x, but you watch an hour of programming in like 20 minutes (2x and skip commercials).
Seriously? That would be like watching chipmunks on crack. I prefer to watch content in real time so I can enjoy it. If I felt I had to rush through it just to get it done I'd record less TV.
post #23 of 23 Old 02-24-2013, 04:04 PM - Thread Starter

Well, OVer the Air gets you the free basic NBC CBS ABC PBS, if that's all you want, you'd be better off with OTA. How would you watch Project Runway with Heidi Klum?
Doug
Reply Home Theater Computers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page