Best way to play streaming music so that other PC usage is not disturbed? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 3 Old 02-13-2013, 05:24 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I would like to find best wireless solution so that people could search and play music using my HTPC without disturbing other usage of the PC. So if there's TV on or Steam running people cloud still change and search song somehow (youtube, grooveshark etc) without the need of displaying something on the TV screen. The music service must be free, but the app can cost something if app is the best way to go. I have also laptop that I can use.

I have found good way to do this for songs that are on my PC. I've installed Apple's iPad Remote and I can control my Foobar with it. Foobar runs on the background and I can change the songs very nicely without having to display anything on the TV screen.

But for streaming music only solution I've found so far is to run grooveshark on one browser and then use grooveshark remote app for iPad to control the grooveshark that is running on the browser on my HTPC. The app: http://gsremote.com/

I haven't found any videos or reviews for the iPad version so I haven't bought it yet.

So the key is that I want to control the music from either iPad or laptop.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 Old 02-14-2013, 08:57 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 56
If you have Windows Vista, 7 or 8, you can stream over the network using a Media Center Extender (Linksys, D-Link, HP, Ceton) or XBOX (Win 8 only works with XBOX for now).

If you have a DLNA enabled player or TV, you can set Windows to be a DLNA server in the background.

6 TV's in the house on FiOS and we only pay $4.99/month to connect them all!!! Power to the CableCard and WMC7!!!
post #3 of 3 Old 02-14-2013, 11:23 AM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Both my HTPC and laptop have Windows 7. I don't have AVR yet but all models I've been looking at have DLNA.

Could you describe more clearly how this would work as I'm not familiar with DLNA. Remember that I want to play the music from streaming service like grooveshark, spotify, youtube or similar.
Reply Home Theater Computers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page