*WOW* ... SVP +1080p Animation = OMG ! (60 frames per second for the win!) - Page 22 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #631 of 682 Old 02-14-2014, 12:08 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 71 Post(s)
Liked: 673
I think it just comes with the territory.

I certainly don't agree with poster above you about "it's garbage". But I also don't use it all the time. It shines in animation, modern CGI, etc... But on old films I like the grainy pure film look as it seems more authentic.

Example I wouldn't use it on 1992 Clint Eastwoods Unforgiven or something like Dances with wolves with Kevin Costner. Those kind of movies look better at 24fps and pure. I like the grain and the natural blur and all the other negatives about film as it makes it more authentic and enjoyable for me as a movie buff.

I prefer the first BR transfer of Jurassic Park that has all the film grain and the old universal intro of the earth globe credits. I don't like SVP on that. But on the new Jurassic Park transfer just done for the 3D release I do like SVP. But the new transfer isn't as good in general it's too soft and it's been over processed in the restore. They removed the film grain and the movie looks different, it doesn't show it's age but it also doesn't look as good either.

-

"Too much is almost enough. Anything in life worth doing is worth overdoing. Moderation is for cowards."
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #632 of 682 Old 02-15-2014, 11:34 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 15

How does SVP compare to today's TV's 120Hz interpolation? Does it produce more artifacts? Is there some visual info, screenshots, that shows the artifacts it creates? The feature that masks artifacts brings my rig down on its knees, creating massive frame drops.

There is a particular feature that I am not sure about - "Blend frames to screen refresh rate". Shouldn't that be enabled by default? If interpolation is not in sync with refresh rate, then tearing may be created, which beats the purpose of interpolation's smoothness effect IMO.

Is there a way to make it work with LAV Video instead of ffdshow? Also, is there going to be a stand-alone package that does not require AviSynth?

post #633 of 682 Old 02-15-2014, 01:48 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by SCProCalibrator View Post

There is a particular feature that I am not sure about - "Blend frames to screen refresh rate". Shouldn't that be enabled by default? If interpolation is not in sync with refresh rate, then tearing may be created, which beats the purpose of interpolation's smoothness effect IMO.

Is there a way to make it work with LAV Video instead of ffdshow? Also, is there going to be a stand-alone package that does not require AviSynth?
When I've tried "Blend frames to screen refresh rate," it looked like crap and hit my CPU hard. If you're not already seeing tearing and trying to fix it, then you're worrying about a problem that doesn't exist.

You only need FFDshow raw filter, and you can add FFDshow filters from that if you want. You can use whatever decoder you want, including LAV. For PotPlayer, the built-in stuff seems the best to me. I use LAV video decoder with XBMC dsplayer version. I like, hmm, what is it, I think AVsplitter over LAV splitter since AV gives more info when you click on it in the tray, and I let XBMC built-in audio do audio.

I turned off Mask Artifacts since it seems I can get a similar result with a lot less CPU by just turning down the Motion Vectors Grid setting.
Mfusick likes this.
post #634 of 682 Old 02-15-2014, 03:02 PM

Hmmm... I can't figure it out because I use JRiver and unless I select FFdshow as a video renderer - SVP won't work.

Also, SVP seems to install FFdshow and AviSynth for 32bit. It also uses a very old FFdshow build - from May 2013. Will it work if I use the newest FFdshow 64bit and the newest AviSynt 64bit?

post #635 of 682 Old 02-15-2014, 04:32 PM

Quote:

Hmmm... I can't figure it out because I use JRiver and unless I select FFdshow as a video renderer - SVP won't work.

Also, SVP seems to install FFdshow and AviSynth for 32bit. It also uses a very old FFdshow build - from May 2013. Will it work if I use the newest FFdshow 64bit and the newest AviSynt 64bit?
The SVP page says you must use 32-bit FFdshow. I don't recall any advantages to using 64-bit versions of that sort of thing anyway -- 64-bit versions seem to just be a way to have more compatibility problems.

Since you're having problems, I'd download the whole SVP package, get it working right, and then try other versions of FFdshow if you want and see what happens. You can always uninstall the newer versions and go back to the SVP package later if the newer versions don't work. I don't know what advantages newer or 64-bit versions would have.

My guess on the video decoder problem is JRiver isn't seeing the FFdshow Raw Filter when you use LAV video decoder. For instance, in XBMC dsplayer version, you can press one button in settings to use dsplayer, but that one-button method will use whatever decoders have the highest priority for Windows. And that doesn't work for SVP if trying to use both FFdshow Raw filter and LAV video decoder. I had to manually change the settings in a DSplayer file so it will use both FFDshow Raw filter and LAV video decoder, (as well as make sure it uses AVsplitter too since I prefer that splitter).

So, first thing I'd do is play a file using LAV and see if the FFdshow Raw filter icon shows up on the icon tray. I suppose I'd also make sure the "show icons in tray" setting in FFdshow is turned on. If the raw filter icon isn't there, then that would probably be why SVP isn't kicking in. The next thing I'd do is make sure the Raw filter is actually set to "use for all available" or whatever in the codecs(?) tab. It's possible it's just set to Disabled.

That's the main thing to get SVP to work. FFdshow Raw filter.
Mfusick likes this.
post #636 of 682 Old 02-16-2014, 05:27 AM

I got it to work, but I don't like the results... Certain scenes have severe artifact-ing going on. For example, a close-up of a camp fire shows huge ugly square artifacts on top of it. The same goes for explosions. It seems to show such artifacts only at the beginning of such motion, then it adapts itself to it and artifacts go away, but that the experience is ruined by then. I also can't stand 60fps smoothness, so I only use 29Hz/fps. I don't know why 24fps looks more natural though, but I'd like to find out! One thing I can tell you though - the effect is nowhere near as fluid as plasma TV motion.

Also, SVP will not work properly with any other version of 32bit ffdshow and AviSynth, aside from the exact ones included into the full package. Not a big deal, but I would prefer to use later ffdshow and AviSynth versions.

post #637 of 682 Old 02-16-2014, 08:17 AM

Quote:

. It seems to show such artifacts only at the beginning of such motion, then it adapts itself to it and artifacts go away, but that the experience is ruined by then. I also can't stand 60fps smoothness, so I only use 29Hz/fps. I don't know why 24fps looks more natural though, but I'd like to find out!
The wave artifacts can be annoying on complex scenes, which is why a few posts up I said I don't think The Avengers is a great showcase for SVP, there's just so much going on during scenes that are hard for SVP.

And, the more smoothness someone wants, the more artifacts can happen.

Turning the settings down can help. Motion Vector Precision being a main one. Bigger px is less smooth and fewer artifacts. Setting that to 32px or so will basically only have SVP kick in on large movements like panning.

Or, just try changing the top setting from Adaptive to 1.5m. I think it's a really good setting for people who hate artifacts. It's not nearly as smooth as SVP can be, but it also gets rid of most artifacts while still being much smoother than horrible 24fps. Changing 60fps to "double framerate" 48fps can help a little in that regard too, but not nearly as much as just turning on 1.5m and increasing the motion vector precision can.

If you put SVP on high motion vector precision px and/or 1.5m setting, or even (gasp!) 2m setting, I would wager there's a good chance after a while you will find yourself changing the settings back again to get more smoothness.

Watch some more with it, and then, after a while, see if you can still watch 24fps without wincing at the jitter and fakeness of it. I can't. Once my brain shook off the years of propaganda of being told how magical "the film look" looks, it now sees how terrible "the film look" looks. And it reminds me of it every time I don't have SVP on.

Even on non-action stuff, someone walks across a room, or even just making minor movements while talking, 24fps looks so fake and poor quality. Watching 24fps now is like watching 10fps Skype. Watching 24fps is like listening to a 2.0 ProLogic'd audio stream instead of a 5.1 DTS digital one.

Anyway, give 1.5m a shot.
Mfusick and politby like this.
post #638 of 682 Old 02-16-2014, 02:52 PM

Shader differences!

Some posts on the previous pages talk about halos and the loss of fine details. The fine details sounds similar to the problem I have with the Standard shader.

Let's look at the following:

1 FASTEST - sharp picture without any blending, moves pixels by motion vectors from next frame to current. Requires only backward motion vectors ("analyse.vectors: 2") so it's the fastest possible method.

2 SHARP - like 1st but moves pixels from the nearest (in terms of time) frame so it uses both backward and forward vectors. Recommended for 2D animations. This shader has no blending/blurring.

11 SIMPLE LITE - time weighted blend of forward and backward partial motion compensations.

13 STANDARD - same as 11th but with dynamic median added. Produces minimum artifacts but with noticeable halos around moving objects.

21 SIMPLE - 11th plus additional cover/uncover masking to minimize halos and improve frame edges.

23 COMPLICATED - 21th plus extra vectors from adjacent frames for further decreasing of halos, can be less smooth than 21th.
This shader uses four neighbor frames to create each new frame. It is the only shader that uses so much information.
In addition this shader applies occlusion mask to avoid contour artifacts.

Standard is listed as having noticeable halos. Simple minimizes halos. Personally, I don't mind some halo since it can sort of give a 3D effect. But what mainly gets me about Standard shader is it blurs/blends more. Such as when people turn their heads. The details between the start and finish of the turning gets blended/blurred. I guess that adds to the smoothness, maybe, but I don't like it losing so much detail. Just doesn't look quite right.

The other shaders don't blur as much. Fastest and Sharp have no blurring/blending, and the other three only have some. Standard overdoes it to me, though having none (Sharp) doesn't quite do it for me, either.

I have noticed Standard having fewer wave artifacts at certain times, but so far really only when I was playing interlaced video. (Whether that's the actual reason or just coincidence, I don't know.) Someone threw a discus-type spinning thing, and Standard definitely did the best job. Even Complicated couldn't keep the edges of the discus intact. They all had terrible wavey artifacts on the spinning discus itself, but Standard was the only one that didn't let the wavies past the discus' edges. Sort of like a couple big square macroblocks sitting on the edge and outside of the discus.

But other than that, so far I haven't noticed any serious difference between the bottom four shaders except that Standard blurs details more. And, yeah, I guess the halo thing.

I have noticed Complicated can be perhaps slightly less smooth than Simple at times, but so far it was almost too minor to notice. At the moment, I'm running Simple most of the time, but I need to do more testing to see how much better Complicated is on artifacts, and how much smoothness it may give up to do so.

I'm not saying one shader is "better" than another, (except for Fastest), just a preference thing. Anyway, just thought I'd toss this out there.
Mfusick likes this.
post #639 of 682 Old 02-16-2014, 04:20 PM

Hmm... so TVs really do a better job then SVP then as they never go artifact-crazy. I mean that can happen in any movie at any time... SVP has a long way to go. I wonder if they could get their hands on how major TV makers like Samsung and Sony make their 120Hz modes process the information to create fake frames. I have a LightBoost monitor and making SVP work with LightBoost mode (its blur-free, like CRT) created an insane effect...INSANE effect!

post #640 of 682 Old 02-17-2014, 12:22 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 107
TVs have huge advantages, as they can actually drive the panels at more then 60Hz, which SVP simply cannot do with the current state of HDMI being limited to 60Hz at 1080p.
This allows TVs to combine interpolation with concepts like BFI or scanning backlights, which resolves motion blur issues.
Mfusick likes this.
post #641 of 682 Old 02-19-2014, 08:32 AM

Liked: 10
Hey after months of posting in here I finally got round to building a beasty rig smile.gif , which is essentially a gaming PC but using it as a HTPC just until I move in a month or 2 and rebuilding a dedicated one, Could anyone please post a screenshot of the absolute best / most taxing settings for 1080p 60fps in SVP so I can give it a whirl? Pretty lost in alot of these options, thanks!
post #642 of 682 Old 02-21-2014, 08:38 AM

I play back movies with XBMC which will switch to 24hz mode which automatically kicks my samsung 60 inch out of "PC Mode" resulting in a bit of overscan but also a stunning picture because I can now adjust using the TV's picture settings including it's built in image interpolation... looks stunning to watch toy story 3 with soap opera mode on with all the settings in place... just wonderful. The Croods, all those movies just look killer.
post #643 of 682 Old 02-24-2014, 02:29 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben Agg View Post

Hey after months of posting in here I finally got round to building a beasty rig smile.gif , which is essentially a gaming PC but using it as a HTPC just until I move in a month or 2 and rebuilding a dedicated one, Could anyone please post a screenshot of the absolute best / most taxing settings for 1080p 60fps in SVP so I can give it a whirl? Pretty lost in alot of these options, thanks!

I think it's more a preference thing. You should try them out and see what you like. Some like less and some like more. On animation and modern cgi it's really awesome but on old grainy movies much less so.

-

"Too much is almost enough. Anything in life worth doing is worth overdoing. Moderation is for cowards."
post #644 of 682 Old 02-24-2014, 10:29 PM

I saw an SVP dev wrote this about shaders. At least I know I'm not just seeing things about Standard being blurry.

You are right. Each shader has its artifacts.
13 is not shaky but with dirty details.
23 has sharper details but with shaky little and thin objects.

I started messing with SVP and an Ivy 3.4ghz i3. It surprised me how strong it is. And surprised me how strong the hyperthreading is since when I turn it off and it's just 3.4ghz, it's not a whole lot better than my 2.6ghz Ivy G1610. Both have trouble with 1080 video at 60fps and pretty much need to be set at 48fps to not drop frames. But with hyperthreading on, I can turn on 60fps and drop the px down to 12 or perhaps even 8.

Makes me curious how a low-end i3 like a Sandy 2100 performs since the Passmark score is quite a bit lower than for the 3.4ghz Ivy i3, but 3.4ghz i3 with hyperthreading off should Passmark about the same as a 2100 i3. I wonder if hyperthreading would make it perform better than Passmark might indicate.
post #645 of 682 Old 02-27-2014, 09:46 PM

Liked: 11

So now that MadVR has NNEDI3 and Error Diffusion and all that other fancy hardware-instensive stuff, what card would you recommend to max out both SVP at 60FPS ans MadVR at its absolute highest settings? Would a 280X do the job, or should I go even higher?

post #646 of 682 Old 02-28-2014, 12:53 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 107
madVR can alone max out the highest level gaming cards now, there is no way you can run SVP and madVR at absolute highest on any card. tongue.gif
Mfusick likes this.
post #647 of 682 Old 02-28-2014, 01:06 AM

Okay, thanks. I suppose the better question would be what card can handle SVP + MadVR without heavy frame dropping (or exploding). I would think a 290X would be sufficient enough, but would it overheat in an HTPC case? Would running SVP with CPU only help with that (with a 4670?). 

post #648 of 682 Old 02-28-2014, 04:45 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

SVP is mostly CPU bound. You can run it with a moderate GPU. MADVR is mostly GPU bound and you can run it with a moderate CPU.

Together it's a combo that would really need top end of both. I'm not sure there is much hardware choices today. I'd say based on value an R9 + 4770k is a good main stream start.

-

post #649 of 682 Old 02-28-2014, 05:21 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 58
I am looking at using a high end gaming card with a Kraken G10 bracket and a closed loop water cooler
(retrofitted into an older Digitalis Vision II htpc case). The reviews show a massive drop in temperatures
and apparently it is a very quiet solution.
Mfusick likes this.
post #650 of 682 Old 02-28-2014, 11:43 AM

Thanks for all the help guys. One last question: Would overclocking be worth it? I was planning on going with a 4770 (non-K) but if there's a noticeable difference in SVP performance I may reconsider. Obviously there will be some difference but if it's not hugely noticeable I'll save my cash.

post #651 of 682 Old 02-28-2014, 03:13 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaz244 View Post

Thanks for all the help guys. One last question: Would overclocking be worth it? I was planning on going with a 4770 (non-K) but if there's a noticeable difference in SVP performance I may reconsider. Obviously there will be some difference but if it's not hugely noticeable I'll save my cash.

Overclocking can be substantial if you do it right, and thanks to adaptive voltage on Haswell you can run a 4770k at 4000mhz and still have it step down as low as 800mhz when it's not needed.

Overclocking gets beat up around here since it's an HTPC forum and traditional thinking is you do not need to overclock a simple HTPC. But the truth is that is a very old and limited viewpoint based on old technology and CPU's.

In the old days when you overclocked a CPU you did it manually, and you set the voltage manually for stability. This means that if you overclock to say 4ghz then the CPU basically ran 4ghz all the time, and the voltage increase you needed to make it stable at that clock was constant too, meaning it sucked down a ton of power. That leads to increased energy consumption, increased heat, and noise. Not good for an HTPC. That is why overclocking was frowned upon. No one had any objection to getting "FREE" performance via overclocking, and certainly nothing is wrong with a higher performance CPU either.

With socket 1150 Haswell the voltage regulator is not on the motherboard it's actually inside the CPU. Haswell used adaptive voltage offsets so you can actually overclock the living crap out of Haswell and it still stays very power efficient and cool, especially if you don't need the horsepower.

Example: I have a 4770k in this machine and runing around AVS surfing or whatever it barely breaks a sweat. The majority of the time it's about 800mhz to 1600mhz. But I have my multiplier set to 40 (4000mhz or 4GHZ) and my CPU is actually overclocked.

If I open up something heavy like WINRAR on an ISO for example look what happens:

It's there when I need it, but not when I do not. My CPU runs perfectly cool on a basic Coolermaster EVO 212 air cooler all day long. But when I need the horsepower it's nice to have it.

I think for something like SVP an overclock can be helpful, if nothing more than for some added headroom. It does not mean you CPU will be an energy hog, or super hot and melt your case either. Those days are gone.

K series all the way IMO.

Overclocked my 4770K can run a 12,000 passmark score. That's a pretty big difference from stock. That's also nearly triple the power of an i3 CPU. There is actually a good SVP benchmark too:
http://www.svp-team.com/wiki/SVPmark
That will tell you what you system can do with SVP

-

post #652 of 682 Old 02-28-2014, 04:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mfusick View Post

With socket 1150 Haswell the voltage regulator is not on the motherboard it's actually inside the CPU. Haswell used adaptive voltage offsets so you can actually overclock the living crap out of Haswell and it still stays very power efficient and cool, especially if you don't need the horsepower.
To expand on that, it's not just Haswell. Sandy/Ivy is also excellent at throttling down and lowering volts when the power isn't needed. Core2Duos could overclock to the moon, but since overclocking was done via FSB, and the stock multipliers only had a range of like 8x to 10x or so, that meant instead of idling at 8 x 200fsb = 1600mhz, overclocking the fsb to let's say 400mhz would mean it idles at 8 x 400mhz = 3.2ghz.

One thing about Haswell is (unlike Sandys and Ivys) the non-Ks can't oc at all. And they all run hot and oc lower than Ivy and especially Sandy. (though they are a little faster mhz to mhz.) So buying a K Haswell, most people will probably set it for about 4ghz, maybe a little more, and call it a day due to heat and volts. ...I guess those sentences are more about how good a deal a non-K Sandy/Ivy can be than it is about Haswell.

Though, for Haswell, if you don't plan on oc'ing much, the K may not be worth it unless it's a good deal. The 4670k already does 3.6ghz on four cores, so if the person only oc's it to 4ghz, that's only 400mhz for $x more dollars. So if there's a high premium on the K version, or if a non-K is on a good sale, if the person wouldn't oc it very high anyway, then going for the K version might not be the best value. Not to mention it requires a motherboard capable of overclocking.

There are various arguments to be made on what is a best "value," and if you plan on selling the CPU later which would be easier to sell and which would take a smaller hit from being used, etc. That is beyond this post. smile.gif Main thing I wanted to point out is a lot of people overclocking Haswells aren't overclocking them all that high for everyday usage due to heat and volts. Even the power consumption can be a factor since all the newer Intels become quite inefficient above a certain point. They're still great overall, but if going from say 3.7ghz to 4.4ghz doubles the CPU power consumption, people may not bother doing it.

Anyway, I swapped a G1610 Ivy 2.6ghz for a 3.4ghz Ivy i3 in one PC, and so far I'm quite impressed with the i3. In a previous post, I mentioned how hyperthreading seems to be a pretty big deal for SVP, because turning it off and having it as a non-i3 3.4ghz, I'm not happy with how it performs with SVP and is barely worth the bother over the G1610. 3.4ghz with hyperthreading on turns it into a theoretical 4.4ghz or so, but with SVP, it seems even stronger than that so far.

Maybe that's a good case for using an i7 with SVP for people who want to crank the settings to the moon. The i3's hyptherthreading sure helps a lot.

Kaz244, I think most people would be perfectly happy using one of the faster i3s with SVP, so any i5, K version or not, is going to be even stronger.

By the way, the powering down stuff is interesting on AMD Phenoms and newer too, since a couple programs will let you create your own power states, so you can sort of do whatever you want with how low the mhz and volts are at idle, and at max overclock, but also inbetween. If I recall, my Phenom x4 idled fine all the way down to about 0.6v. AMD tends to overvolt their CPUs.
post #653 of 682 Old 02-28-2014, 05:02 PM

Quote:

Example: I have a 4770k in this machine and runing around AVS surfing or whatever it barely breaks a sweat. The majority of the time it's about 800mhz to 1600mhz. But I have my multiplier set to 40 (4000mhz or 4GHZ) and my CPU is actually overclocked.
Is that just a poorly-timed picture, or does your i7 not lower the voltage less than 1.2v?

Before anyone asks, I will explain: unless someone is hardcore overclocking, (4.5ghz+), there should be little to no reason to not allow the CPU to undervolt down to the stock .8v or so when it wants to. It shouldn't be a big deal idling at 1.2v vs. idling at .8v, but it does add at least 10w+ to the power consumption even at full idle.
post #654 of 682 Old 03-01-2014, 05:33 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheFranchise View Post

Is that just a poorly-timed picture, or does your i7 not lower the voltage less than 1.2v?

Before anyone asks, I will explain: unless someone is hardcore overclocking, (4.5ghz+), there should be little to no reason to not allow the CPU to undervolt down to the stock .8v or so when it wants to. It shouldn't be a big deal idling at 1.2v vs. idling at .8v, but it does add at least 10w+ to the power consumption even at full idle.

Probably just the picture I'll check again . It definitely raises and lowers in voltage.

4.8ghz gets really hot and takes a ton of juice. I don't run that daily though as it's not quite stable, or just too hot. I'd probably need a better cooler.

4770k is quite a bit better than 4670k for SVP for a variety of reasons. First and most obviously the i7 is more powerful which is automatically a bonus when talking about SVP. But beyond that the 4 extra virtual cores and hyperthreading provide a very real and tangible performance boost over the i5.

For a while now I was always wondering and surprised why my 4770k seems to handle SVP so well but my i5 3570k seems to struggle a lot more. It's not as good as my 2600k i7 either, and in theory the two chips should be a lot closer in performance. I think the difference was the hyperthreading in both i7 chips actually was giving them a good advantage.

My 2600k at stock 3.4ghz is just about what the doctor ordered for SVP. It can basically handle it but CPU use is high and while the chip is enough it's defiantly trying hard and getting a work out.

My 4770k with a mild overclock is plenty enough. It's not trying as hard as my 2600k Sandy either.

Given the fact that only high end recent model chips can handle SVP well I think it will be a while before development on the next level will result in something newer and better because I'm not sure enough people actually would own hardware to run it yet. You'd need a dual CPU LGA 2011 ... Lol

-

post #655 of 682 Old 03-11-2014, 09:45 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

I set up SVP on a friends HTPC this weekend. He has one of those fancy Samsung TV's that also does it. We tested it back to back on Monsters University and the SVP was better to both our eyes than the normal Samsung processing. At least on that movie. It was smoother, colors jumped out more, and the edges were cleaner with less artifacts.

Anyone else every compared them ?

-

post #656 of 682 Old 03-13-2014, 11:03 AM

Can anybody help? Trying to get into this whole 60fps svp thingy and been playing with settings and configs and stuff whole day, but still can't get optimal picture.

My rig is gtx 780, i5-4570, 8gb ram. 

Trying svp with cgi animated movie and my main gripe so far is inconsistency of smoothness and some jerkiness in scenes with sharp motions. Basically the picture goes smooth for some time and then bam, it feels like it just slowed down for a second, even if media player stats says fps been stable all the time. And there's also some ghosting with sudden motions too.

I tried using some potplayer tutorial config and mpc too. I think i'm doing something wrong with svp.

So yeah, if somebody can help that'd be great. Some sample stable configs are appreciated too. 

Also, i noticed that 48fps feels more smooth and stable than 60fps and with less artifacts to boot.

post #657 of 682 Old 03-13-2014, 01:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex Proyas View Post

My rig is gtx 780, i5-4570, 8gb ram. 

Trying svp with cgi animated movie and my main gripe so far is inconsistency of smoothness and some jerkiness in scenes with sharp motions. Basically the picture goes smooth for some time and then bam, it feels like it just slowed down for a second, even if media player stats says fps been stable all the time. And there's also some ghosting with sudden motions too.
Also, i noticed that 48fps feels more smooth and stable than 60fps and with less artifacts to boot.
Any i5 is plenty of CPU, but my first thought is to see if the SVP settings are still set too high. The best one to turn down imo is turn off Decrease Grid Step, and then next is change half-pixel to 1 or 2 pixel. If you're trying to run 6px vector with 1080, it may not like that either.

If you're not maxing out the CPU, it may still be maxed. With GPU acceleration off, it's easier to see how high I can turn up the settings since the CPU goes to 100%. (and it's best to keep it under 90% or so max for smoothness.) But if I turn on GPU acceleration, which most all people do, my GPU will take part of the load, but now I can only let the CPU go to let's say 65% load max or I can get dropped frames and stutter. (GPU on still allows higher SVP settings than with it off.) That behavior is a lot more obvious on my dual-core and i3 than it is my i5. Whether it's because the CPU(s) are weaker, or because my video card with the i5 is a lot better, or a combination of the two, I don't know. Just saying it can happen.

Whatever the exact problem is, it sounds like you are dropping frames. I forget which media player I was using, but it showed no dropped frames, but I was definitely dropping frames and stuttering. Turned down some settings, and it was smooth.

An i5 should have no problem with 1080 @ 60fps with pretty high settings, so either your SVP settings are way too high, or there's a strange bottleneck somewhere else. If you're using Madshi/madVR, that might be doing it. I use EVR custom video renderer. Even on my beefy computer, something on it simply doesn't like MadVR, and it bottlenecks.
Mfusick likes this.
post #658 of 682 Old 03-13-2014, 01:49 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Sounds like your settings are too high, which is causing the jerkyness at times. Try turning things down a bit see if it helps. Have you checked your CPU utilization when the jerkiness occurs ? Is the CPU level high ?

-

post #659 of 682 Old 03-21-2014, 08:59 AM

Quote:

Sounds like your settings are too high, which is causing the jerkyness at times. Try turning things down a bit see if it helps. Have you checked your CPU utilization when the jerkiness occurs ? Is the CPU level high ?

Figured it out. Set interpolation to 1.5 and set motion vectors grid to 7. Lower interpolation is smoother, but with a lot more jerkiness/artefacts. 

post #660 of 682 Old 06-05-2014, 06:38 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Anyone know if 4k support is on the horizon ?

-

Reply Home Theater Computers

Tags
Intel , Intel Core I5 3570 3 4 Ghz Processor , Intel Pentium G2020 2 9ghz Lga 1155 Dual Core Desktop Processor , Intel Pentium G3220 3 0ghz Lga 1150 Dual Core Desktop Processor , Amd , Amd A10 6700 Richland 4 2ghz Socket Fm2 65w Quad Core Desktop Processor Amd Radeon Hd Ad6700okhlbox , Amd A6 5400k 3 6ghz Socket Fm2 Dual Core Desktop Processor , Amd A8 5600k 3 6ghz Socket Fm2 Quad Core Desktop Processor , Amd A6 3650 2 6ghz Socket Fm1 Quad Core Desktop Apu Cpu Gpu With Directx 11 Graphic , Intel Core I7 4770k 3 5ghz Lga 1150 Quad Core Desktop Processor
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page