*WOW* ... SVP +1080p Animation = OMG ! (60 frames per second for the win!) - Page 7 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

Old 05-27-2013, 12:14 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked: 51
im going to have to try this tonight for animation and documentaries. i never liked the effect on regular stuff when seeing on best buy walls. might have to give it a go with a full movie though.

cpu is q6600 with 8gb ram and an ati 6670 card.hope it can handle it.

note: the post above is my opinion. as such, when reading any recommendations from me, please do you research and seek out other recommendations and make up your own mind on your next course of action. i mean, most reasonable adults should know that, but it seems this should be stated anyways.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-27-2013, 12:18 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 191 Post(s)
Liked: 995
The SVP bench would be a good place to test.

-

"Too much is almost enough. Anything in life worth doing is worth overdoing. Moderation is for cowards."
Old 05-28-2013, 04:19 AM
Advanced Member

the i7 Q720 (1.6GHz) on the laptop was able to do 2g. like the effect. still wasnt the smoothest.

the q6600 htpc was set 1g and still struggled a little.

madvr was all defaults, no jinc etc.

frown.gif

note: the post above is my opinion. as such, when reading any recommendations from me, please do you research and seek out other recommendations and make up your own mind on your next course of action. i mean, most reasonable adults should know that, but it seems this should be stated anyways.
Old 05-28-2013, 04:38 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 13
I'll make a wild guess that it's the GPU. Especially if it doesn't have GDDR5. Otherwise I love my current HTPC GPU but DDR3 on it chokes it.
Could also be the system ram, I believe you have DDR2?
I don't remember if I have yet installed SVP on my htpc. I have upgraded it couple weeks ago.
Now rocking Intel Pentium G2120, Intel DH77EB mATX motherboard and 2x4GB of Kingston's HyperX LoVo (1600/CL9/1.35v)
It has a HD5670 as well and other stuff.

Lying on the couch now so might as well install the SVP and see how it works.

Sent from my GNote

lagittaja@Overclock.net | Lagittaja@MuroBBS | Also Anandtech AVForums DIYAudio Head-Fi XDA-Developers e-Savuke ECF VFF VaporWall VapePit & etceteros
Main rig
Old 05-28-2013, 05:32 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by aliaskary77 View Post

the i7 Q720 (1.6GHz) on the laptop was able to do 2g. like the effect. still wasnt the smoothest.

the q6600 htpc was set 1g and still struggled a little.

madvr was all defaults, no jinc etc.

frown.gif

I would imagine higher ... You must have MadVr cranked up ?
Quote:
Originally Posted by aliaskary77 View Post

im going to have to try this tonight for animation and documentaries. i never liked the effect on regular stuff when seeing on best buy walls. might have to give it a go with a full movie though.

cpu is q6600 with 8gb ram and an ati 6670 card.hope it can handle it.

Let it auto detect its level ... You should be ok

-

"Too much is almost enough. Anything in life worth doing is worth overdoing. Moderation is for cowards."
Old 05-28-2013, 05:33 AM
Advanced Member

the 6670 has 1gb gddr5, 8gb ram i think at 1066. i didnt overclock anything so cpu is at stock 2.4. was thinking of getting some new parts anyways, maybe end of summer.

Old 05-28-2013, 06:10 AM
Advanced Member

the levels 2g (laptop i7) and 1g (htpc q6600) were the autodetected settings. madvr all defaults, didnt touch a thing since installing. never even tried jinc etc. will try again today to play with it.

Old 05-28-2013, 06:51 AM

Well I tried it quickly and 2G seemed to be the appropriate level for 720p stuff, with 1080p I had to lower the madVR settings a bit, my gpu just choked at that res while having SVP on. CPU was hovering somewhere around 40% utilization and GPU load was erraround 45%.

Will probably grab a HD7750, or a GTX650Ti if a really good offer comes by.
I would so love to get my hands on one of those GDDR5 GT640's but since they're OEM they're a bit unobtainium, at least here..
I'm really annoyed nvidia didn't launch the GT640 with GDDR5 to consumers, the DDR3 sku is a really good HTPC card but it would have been perfect with GDDR5.

Sent from my GNote

lagittaja@Overclock.net | Lagittaja@MuroBBS | Also Anandtech AVForums DIYAudio Head-Fi XDA-Developers e-Savuke ECF VFF VaporWall VapePit & etceteros
Main rig
Old 05-28-2013, 07:11 AM
AVS Club Gold

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 240 Post(s)
Liked: 389
Basically GT 640 + GDDR5 (in place of DDR3) = GTX 650 vanilla. GTX 650 is underpowered for video + JInc. GTX 650 Ti is twice better (384 vs 768 CUDA cores).
Old 05-28-2013, 09:41 AM

Liked: 10
Will the i7-3770K and an HD 7770 be adequate run SVP and MadVR etc. at the highest (or at least close) settings? If not, can you recommend a combo that will work?

Also, does anyone know which memory standard would work best? Any advice is appreciated, I have been researching and agonizing for days over this stuff.

Perfection is not attainable, but if we chase perfection we can catch excellence.
Old 05-28-2013, 09:48 AM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by justix View Post

Will the i7-3770K and an HD 7770 be adequate run SVP and MadVR etc. at the highest (or at least close) settings? If not, can you recommend a combo that will work?

Also, does anyone know which memory standard would work best? Any advice is appreciated, I have been researching and agonizing for days over this stuff.

Yes.

DDR3-1600 2 x 2GB is enough. Personally I would buy DDR3-2400 2 x 4GB, like this, $80.
Old 05-28-2013, 10:28 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

I7 3770k is perfect CPU I'd think. Radeon 7000 series too. Nice choices.

-

Old 05-28-2013, 10:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by renethx View Post

Yes.

DDR3-1600 2 x 2GB is enough. Personally I would buy DDR3-2400 2 x 4GB, like this, $80.

Awesome, thanks for the confirmation. Will running those components running SVP and MadVR overstress or get too hot with long term use? Should I get better cooling for them possibly? I chose that model HD 7770 because it seems to have a good balance of quiet / runs cool, which is what I am going for in this setup.

I like that 2400 RAM, will I have to O/C something to get it to 2400? The board I have been looking at (ASRock Z77 Extreme4) suggests that I will have to OC to make this happen for anything above 1600.

Thanks helping me with this

Justin

Perfection is not attainable, but if we chase perfection we can catch excellence.
Old 05-28-2013, 11:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mfusick View Post

I7 3770k is perfect CPU I'd think. Radeon 7000 series too. Nice choices.

Thanks, I figured I wasn't even in the ballpark. I am new to using things like SVP and MadVR etc. and trying to find the right stuff to make it work in my new HTPC. I can build a normal desktop rig so easily but this HTPC stuff is just so different, definitely fun though.

Old 05-28-2013, 11:42 AM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Quote:

Just as a note, I just rebuilt my HTPC with an i5-3570k and a GTX650ti Boost, specifically for SVP. It runs 5g no problem, all day, on all content, with madVR and LAV maxed. The 3770k could be a bit overkill. I haven't even overclocked it.
The boost may also be a bit overkill, as the 650ti may work as well, but I liked the silent cooling I could find on the boosts.
Old 05-28-2013, 12:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stealth5325 View Post

Just as a note, I just rebuilt my HTPC with an i5-3570k and a GTX650ti Boost, specifically for SVP. It runs 5g no problem, all day, on all content, with madVR and LAV maxed. The 3770k could be a bit overkill. I haven't even overclocked it.
The boost may also be a bit overkill, as the 650ti may work as well, but I liked the silent cooling I could find on the boosts.

Thank you for the response, Stealth, I hold those of you who answer my noobish questions in the highest esteem!

Ihave an affinity for the i7 chips I suppose, and I am all for a little bit of overkill in one or two areas smile.gif

The HD 7770 seems to have what I need, it runs efficiently and the fan will (supposedly) be under 30 DB even under heavy load and it will not generate much heat, I always figured that if I wanted to use the highest settings I would need at least a 7 series, this one seemed great considering I wasn't quite ready to jump onto the HD 7970 bandwagon.

I tend to like the Radeon products for my HTPC and I use Nvidia in my main desktop (GTX 690), I am def open to switching things up though if someone can point out a better card (noise, heat, and performance-wise) for my SVP and Madvr at max settings.

Old 05-28-2013, 12:56 PM

Quote:

Basically GT 640 + GDDR5 (in place of DDR3) = GTX 650 vanilla. GTX 650 is underpowered for video + JInc. GTX 650 Ti is twice better (384 vs 768 CUDA cores).

I meant to say GTX650 (without Ti) but anyway.
Don't know if I'll need the Ti amount of power.
I don't have any 720p60 or 1080p60 content. The hardest source I can possibly think I use is F1 @720p50 and even that's really not often biggrin.gif
Most of the time 720p stuff at 23.976, 24 or 25. Occasionally some 29.97.

And even now I only need upscaling to 1360x768 and the TV will stay the same until it breaks, been going strong for over 3 years now, good enough PQ and finnish crap crap crap DVB-T SD broadcasts look decent thanks to it not being a FHD TV. Will think about swapping it for a FHD 40-42" when it either breaks or T2 becomes relevant.

Sent from my GNote

Main rig
Old 05-28-2013, 12:58 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

I favor Radeon too. Usually better value (power to price ratio ) and I like the control center more for HTPC. Also, no 0-255 issues .

-

Old 05-28-2013, 01:23 PM

Yeah Mfusick. Although looking at TPU's perf per watt charts the 650 and 650Ti at the top regardless off res without taking 1600p into account.
And as far as I know nvidia doesn't have anything that resembles AMD's Zero Core.
Not much use for me since the HTPC goes to sleep on a 20 minute timer nowadays but still. So a 7750 or a 7770 might be what I'll go with. I'd guess my idle consumption for the GPU would halve, the 5670 should be pulling something like 14-16w idling while the 77xx's take something like 7w. Not much for me taking sleep in to account but still. More I'd be interested in UVD3 on the newer cards though, the 5670 has UVD2.2 iirc.

I know It's not the thread for this but I'm loving my new HTPC power wise. Sitting on the desktop I'm seeing 40-45w consumption from the wall, watching TV though Win7 WMC it's pulling 50w, MPC-HC(madVR+LAV) depending on content between 50-60w. Only IBT running around 60-61w, Furmark 74w and IBT+Furmark errraround 90-95w but under 100w anyway for the system in worst case scenario biggrin.gif

The meter is Christ Electronic CLM200 which have been tested to have 5% or less error for margin so the readings should be reasonably accurate. ish..
Awful PSU regarding it's efficiency (Seasonic S12II-330w) at these kind of loads but good numbers if you ask me. Aforementioned G2120, DH77EB, 2x4Gb 1.35v ram and two 120mm fans spinning quite slowly, HD5670 1GB DDR3 from Gigabyte, 1x Samsung 830 64Gb SSD, 1x WD1001FALS 1TB 7.2k HDD and a Samsung BD drive which doesn't get used much though.

I don't have any power hungry stuff on the USB either, IR receiver for WMC remote + wireless receiver for KB/mouse + Terratec H7 data cable. Also the HTPC now has a Asus Xonar DX so that adds a little bit of consumption, but not much. IIRC I saw a review where with gaming they saw a 10w increase in overall power consumption compared to a integrated audio. Doubt it's really that much but I'm not gonna bother go and testing the difference with and without it, too much of a hassle lol.

Thermals are amazing as well. Exhaust fan spinning lazily at 300rpm, intake fan with filter 600ish rpm. CPU barely passes 50 in IBT, GPU doesn't heat at all. Now that I don't have a HOT HOT HOT northbridge sitting between CPU and GPU there isn't much heat build up at the top of the case. The bitumen seems to absorb the heat some what and then it transfers to the aluminium case and dissipates nicely. The side of the case feels slightly warm to the touch. I right now have my multimeter with it's temp probe in the case just above the GPU and it's bouncing between 31 and 32 degress celcius. (watching TV)

I'm so sad Intel decided to ditch making MB's in the future but it's understandable when you think about how Intel earns money.

By the way guys, did you see this http://www.techpowerup.com/reviews/Powercolor/HD_7850_SCS3_passive/
Damn, finally someone comes up with a passive 78xx. All passive 7xxx cards I have seen since now have been 7750's only.

Main rig
Old 05-28-2013, 02:17 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Has anyone had successful results in high settings with an i3 and beefy GPU?
Old 05-28-2013, 02:57 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 22
Idiotic question time -- for those of us with TV's that can accept 24 and 60fps (and use framerate switching in MPC), is there any utility to this app whatsoever? Maybe for 25p content?

I mean, I use madVR, and it's awesome. But this seems essentially a whole lot of work and effort just to get everything at 60 fps. Or am I misunderstanding/ oversimplifying what SVP does?

Just seems like, for all the effort and expense upgrading GPU's and even CPU's, it might just be cheaper to get a new display for some folks.biggrin.gif
Old 05-28-2013, 03:18 PM

SVP simply put is what the fancy TV's do, frame interpolation. Some call it the soap opera effect.
From the SVP website
Quote:
It increases frame rate by generating intermediate animation frames between existing ones to produce very smooth, fluid and clear motion.
Go and try it and see what it looks like :P

Main rig
Old 05-28-2013, 03:38 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lagittaja View Post

SVP simply put is what the fancy TV's do, frame interpolation. Some call it the soap opera effect.
From the SVP website
Go and try it and see what it looks like :P

If I weren't perfectly happy with my current MPC-HC, MadVR setup on my Windows PC's, I guess I would.

But

1) The TV's attached to my HTPC's can accept both 60 and 24fps
2) I've enable frame rate switching
3) if need be, the TV's have smoothmotion modes anyway

So I ask again -- is this something that would do anything for me? Maybe my 25 fps content (though I already use reclock)? I guess my main concern is that I put in probably months of work getting everything working correctly. Is there any reason to fuss with it and add yet another variable to the equation (esp one that, unless I am totally misunderstanding its purpose, would not be useful for essentially any of my files)? And especially when it is very resource-intensive?

I mean, sure -- if I had a display that only took 60 fps input, I could see its value. But, otherwise, I'm at a loss as to why I'd even want it.confused.gif
Old 05-28-2013, 03:44 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrted46 View Post

No. 5g SVP + MadVr on full would crush an i3.

I wouldn't even try ..

There is lower setting in both applications for a reason. Those lower settings are more appropriate for i3.

-

Old 05-28-2013, 03:46 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

http://www.svp-team.com/

Here you go:

SVP allows you to watch any video on your PC file with frame interpolation (like you can watch it on high-end TVs and projectors). It increases frame rate by generating intermediate animation frames between existing ones to produce very smooth, fluid and clear motion. The technology is well-known for a while ("TrimensionDNM", "Motion Plus", "Motionflow" and others), but now it's available for free to PC users with simple GUI and just a couple of mouse clicks.

SVP provides GPU acceleration and it's possible to watch FullHD 1080p-video recalculated to 60Hz in real-time with mid-range CPU and almost any GPU hardware.
SVP actually is not a video player itself, but it enables almost any player to play smooth video.
Yeah, also in 3D smile.gif

First, it's free, second - if both Peter Jackson and James Cameron don't think the "soap opera effect" is something bad why should you? wink.gif
"We are indeed shooting at the higher frame rate. The key thing to understand is that this process requires both shooting and projecting at 48 frames/s, rather than the usual 24 frames/s (The great majority of films have been shot at 24 frames per second since the late 1920s). So the result looks like normal speed, but the image has hugely enhanced clarity and smoothness. Looking at 24 frames every second may seem ok—and we've all seen thousands of films like this over the last 90 years—but there is often quite a lot of blur in each frame, during fast movements and if the camera is moving around quickly, the image can judder or "strobe." Shooting and projecting at 48 frames/s does a lot to get rid of these issues. It looks much more lifelike and it is much easier to watch, especially in 3-D." - Peter Jackson
"3D shows you a window into reality; the higher frame rate takes the glass out of the window" - James Cameron

http://www.svp-team.com/wiki/Download

-

Old 05-28-2013, 04:17 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mfusick View Post

http://www.svp-team.com/

Here you go:

SVP allows you to watch any video on your PC file with frame interpolation (like you can watch it on high-end TVs and projectors). It increases frame rate by generating intermediate animation frames between existing ones to produce very smooth, fluid and clear motion. The technology is well-known for a while ("TrimensionDNM", "Motion Plus", "Motionflow" and others), but now it's available for free to PC users with simple GUI and just a couple of mouse clicks.

SVP provides GPU acceleration and it's possible to watch FullHD 1080p-video recalculated to 60Hz in real-time with mid-range CPU and almost any GPU hardware.
SVP actually is not a video player itself, but it enables almost any player to play smooth video.
Yeah, also in 3D smile.gif

First, it's free, second - if both Peter Jackson and James Cameron don't think the "soap opera effect" is something bad why should you? wink.gif
"We are indeed shooting at the higher frame rate. The key thing to understand is that this process requires both shooting and projecting at 48 frames/s, rather than the usual 24 frames/s (The great majority of films have been shot at 24 frames per second since the late 1920s). So the result looks like normal speed, but the image has hugely enhanced clarity and smoothness. Looking at 24 frames every second may seem ok—and we've all seen thousands of films like this over the last 90 years—but there is often quite a lot of blur in each frame, during fast movements and if the camera is moving around quickly, the image can judder or "strobe." Shooting and projecting at 48 frames/s does a lot to get rid of these issues. It looks much more lifelike and it is much easier to watch, especially in 3-D." - Peter Jackson
"3D shows you a window into reality; the higher frame rate takes the glass out of the window" - James Cameron

http://www.svp-team.com/wiki/Download

So how is this any better than me enabling auto motion plus on my displays?
Old 05-28-2013, 04:42 PM

I'd make a wild guess at better algorithms.
Haven't seen any TV frame interpolation so can't compare.

Main rig
Old 05-28-2013, 09:17 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:

Quote:

Yes.

Awesome, thanks for the confirmation. Will running those components running SVP and MadVR overstress or get too hot with long term use? Should I get better cooling for them possibly? I chose that model HD 7770 because it seems to have a good balance of quiet / runs cool, which is what I am going for in this setup.

I like that 2400 RAM, will I have to O/C something to get it to 2400? The board I have been looking at (ASRock Z77 Extreme4) suggests that I will have to OC to make this happen for anything above 1600.

Thanks helping me with this

Justin

The max power consumption of the total system will be 120-130W at the highest quality settings of madVR (Jinc3+AR / Jinc3+AR) and SVP (level 5g), that's not so stressful. If you can afford, check also HD 7790 (more headroom).

Yes. Bu it depends on each system if RAM actually run at 2400MHz. Even if 2400MHz is impossible, you should be able to run them at 2133MHz (a lot easier).
Old 05-28-2013, 09:25 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrted46 View Post

SVP is bound by CPU performance. GPU plays only an auxiliary role. The highest SVP level that i3 can do is 2g or 3g, whatever GPU you use.
Old 05-29-2013, 12:59 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 11

3770K non OC user here. I only use TMT watch BD/DVD and Ceton to watch Comcast TV via Win8 WMC HTPC.

Will I see any different with this tool using above rig? Small or significant different? Are we just talk about animation here or everything else?

Thanks for the feedbacks in advance.  

Tags
Intel , Intel Core I5 3570 3 4 Ghz Processor , Intel Pentium G2020 2 9ghz Lga 1155 Dual Core Desktop Processor , Intel Pentium G3220 3 0ghz Lga 1150 Dual Core Desktop Processor , Amd , Amd A10 6700 Richland 4 2ghz Socket Fm2 65w Quad Core Desktop Processor Amd Radeon Hd Ad6700okhlbox , Amd A6 5400k 3 6ghz Socket Fm2 Dual Core Desktop Processor , Amd A8 5600k 3 6ghz Socket Fm2 Quad Core Desktop Processor , Amd A6 3650 2 6ghz Socket Fm1 Quad Core Desktop Apu Cpu Gpu With Directx 11 Graphic , Intel Core I7 4770k 3 5ghz Lga 1150 Quad Core Desktop Processor