PSU Recommendation - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 8 Old 02-17-2013, 02:24 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
My PSU died yesterday and new the place to go for recommendation.

My specs are
his fan less 6570
8 gigs ram
amd regor x3 65w

1 usb2 cam
2 ir dongles
AS Rock mob
3 2tb h.d's

I've been looking at these 2

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817151124

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817703034

One is the PC Power and Cooling Silencer Mk III Series 400W Modular Power Supply

the other is

SeaSonic SSR-450RM 450W

Is it better to go with the extra 50w or not since there the same price especially if I want to upgrade the video card to a 7 series.

Thanks guys
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old 02-18-2013, 07:39 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 10
SeaSonic is just a better PSU maker than PCP&C. I've never had a single issue with any of the SeaSonic PSU's I've had (>6).

Both Corsair and Antec have used SeaSonic to make their high-end PSUs from time to time.

They will be the quietest PSUs for the wattage and are rock stable as well.

For your PC silencing needs...check out www.silentpcreview.com

For your WHS needs...check out www.wegotserved.co.uk
post #3 of 8 Old 02-18-2013, 07:49 AM

Liked: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by jhhoffma View Post

SeaSonic is just a better PSU maker than PCP&C. I've never had a single issue with any of the SeaSonic PSU's I've had (>6).

Both Corsair and Antec have used SeaSonic to make their high-end PSUs from time to time.

They will be the quietest PSUs for the wattage and are rock stable as well.

If I'm not mistaken, that PC Power & Cooling unit he referenced is a rebranded Seasonic. I have that same PS in my HTPC with no issues. I have a 65W APU without a discrete video card so my power requirements are also lower but I think he's still OK with 400W.
post #4 of 8 Old 02-18-2013, 08:18 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 67 Post(s)
Liked: 236
Looking at the links they aren't the same price.

PCP&C - $73
Seasonic - $90

Unless you have shoprunner then they are

PCP&C - $70
Seasonic - $80

The PCP&C has a $10 rebate as well (not counted but I received the rebate when I ordered that same PSU from newegg)

They are both Seasonic

I've never used the Seasonic PSU, but I'm sure it's just as quiet as the PCP&C (which is inaudible outside the case)

I'd go with the cheaper one

There is a pretty solid test at this website http://www.anandtech.com/show/4278/amds-radeon-hd-6670-radeon-hd-6570/15

Their total system power at load (playing Crysis) wasn't above 200W

Add your extra hard drives and peripherals and you'll "maybe" see 300

Newer radeon cards are 28nm, and they are leading the power efficiency game. They followed the intel model for a couple generations now, more performance for the same or less power draw
post #5 of 8 Old 02-18-2013, 08:37 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 31
The Seasonic is 80 Plus Gold vs 80 Plus Bronze. If you care about that then spend the extra money. If you can live without modular then I would look at a 300w 80 Plus PSU with few leads.
post #6 of 8 Old 02-18-2013, 09:21 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked: 117
I have the PC P&C modular 400W and it's a very good power supply. It's in my living room HTPC. I've used in a few client builds now too. The innards are indeed Seasonic.

Review: http://www.anandtech.com/show/5844/pc-power-cooling-silencer-mk-iii-400w

The difference in efficiency between 80+ Gold and Bronze are around 5% and might be cancelled by going with a larger PSU since the load will be smaller where it should ideally be around 50% of maximum for the best efficiency (handy chart in here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/80_Plus).

FWIW, my older Athlon II X4 system with a HIS HD6570, SSD, HDD, 785G motherboard, Antec EA-380D PSU under maximum load was just under 200W. Normal usage (watching videos, etc.) was closer to 100W as measured with a Kill-a-Watt.

post #7 of 8 Old 02-18-2013, 10:14 AM

Liked: 10
I have the PC P&C 400W as well and it's very good- this is actually my 4th PC P&C PSU and I can't recommend them enough.
post #8 of 8 Old 02-19-2013, 04:38 AM - Thread Starter

Liked: 11
Thanks for the replys guys,

I ended up going with the pc p&c based on some good reviews, what you all said about the brand and the 10.00 rebate not that the rebate was a game changer. Since I had the whole htpc torn down I decided to upgrade my apevia case to the fractal node 605. I was also looking at the silverstone 08. I thought long and hard about it. I usually do not buy cases that have any kind of flip down flap, they usually end up breaking at some time or another. I really liked the look of the case and I do not use a optical drive in my htpc. I have a standalone 3d player and do all my encoding on my desktop.

One good thing about living fairly close to a new egg distribution center is I get my stuff the next day. Ordered it yesterday and it's out for delivery today. I hope the wife understands that when your power supply goes it usually takes the on off switch to the case with it,, winks.

Thanks for all your help
Reply Home Theater Computers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page