How do I reset HDCP handshake between pc and receiver - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

Old 02-19-2013, 01:26 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 12
I have a pc connected to an onkyo txnr709. If the receiver is on when I power up the pc it gets recognized fine but if the pc is turned on first it handshakes with the tv due to the pass through on the receiver. This works as it should and allows me to use either the tv or receiver for sound but I need to reset the handshake when switching.

Pulling the hdmi cable out and replugging it works to reset it but it's annoying. Restarting the pc works but it's super annoying too. The best way so far that I've found is to change the resolution on the pc. Are there any better ways?

If there was a program that could do this, I could pin it to the taskbar and use Win+# to start it. Ideally it would just run when opened and then close that way you could program a remote for this function.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-19-2013, 08:10 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked: 18

Try adjusting your video settings to NOT Auto-detect the display.

Old 02-19-2013, 11:36 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 16
I'm plagued with this as well, and although it's not the most elegant solution in the world, it's free and relatively painless:

On Windows 7, I'm able to "trick" the PC into refreshing its signal to the receiver by using a little-known shortcut: Win-P

Try it out and you'll see what it does. It's the shortcut to enable outputting your display to a Projector or other external/secondary screen. The first option happens to also act like a Cancel ("Use the PC screen only") so this, in essence, is what forces the PC to send a refreshed signal to the receiver.

So try hitting Win-P, then hit Enter (which selects the first option) and hopefully your display will reliably return like mine does after I figured this out. If you have the same problem I do, you have to do this with a blank screen, but you can think of it as a keyboard shortcut to "unlock" your HTPC, rather than a hacky keyboard shortcut to make up for a miserable implementation of HDCP over HDMI.

-R

Old 02-20-2013, 08:07 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 123 Post(s)
Liked: 190
My HTPC idles under 20 watts so I leave it on 24/7. This way I can easily access content from it via PLEX anywhere I have an internet connection without delay and my extender has instant access as well. This is much easier and life is good.

Old 02-20-2013, 10:34 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I was having constant sync issues with my HTPC -> Receiver -> HDTV setup as well. I bought the HDMI Detective, and have not had a single problem since. Took about five minutes to setup and has been worth every penny.

Before you criticize someone, you should walk a mile in their shoes.That way, when you criticize them, you're a mile away and you have their shoes.

DIY Speaker Cables
http://www.seancoyne.org