HTC One Will Have IR - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 13 Old 02-19-2013, 08:31 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 14
http://www.talkandroid.com/151255-htc-announces-the-one-smartphone-gives-us-more-quad-core-goodness-in-a-sense-5-package/?utm_source=feedburner-ta&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+AndroidNewsGoogleAndroidForums+%28Android+News%2C+Rumours%2C+and+Updates%29&utm_content=FeedBurner

The HTC One smartphone will come with IR, just like my old Palm Centro. That will be good news for those of you who like remotes, although I'd point out that using a smartphone for control of an HTPC doesn't work too well because the phone ringing will probably get the focus of the device, making it impossible to turn down the volume or pause the content when the phone rings.

But if this trend continues into tablets, that could be very nice.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 Old 02-19-2013, 08:35 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 47 Post(s)
Liked: 177
IR is outdated. IP control works just fine.
jeffkro likes this.

post #3 of 13 Old 02-19-2013, 08:38 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 16
All my stuff is RF and behind a wall
post #4 of 13 Old 02-19-2013, 09:25 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 14
The people on this forum are so rigid, thinking their way is the only way. It gets a bit tiring.

I don't even like remotes, but I pointed this out for people who do.
post #5 of 13 Old 02-19-2013, 09:32 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 58
According to Slashgear, the included software for the IR blaster is based on Peel. I'm guessing that's designed primarily to control cable/satellite TV set top boxes. I'm not sure if it will work with WMC.
post #6 of 13 Old 02-25-2013, 01:43 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by snappjay View Post

All my stuff is RF and behind a wall
How did you get all your stuff to be RF? Did you use a device or is your tv, stereo all your components are RF? I don't have line of site to all my devices and I was going to get a ir blaster or something but I will have to run a lot of wire and put a lot of holes in walls to do that.
post #7 of 13 Old 02-25-2013, 02:26 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by hanly2 View Post

How did you get all your stuff to be RF? Did you use a device or is your tv, stereo all your components are RF? I don't have line of site to all my devices and I was going to get a ir blaster or something but I will have to run a lot of wire and put a lot of holes in walls to do that.

I think you have a misunderstanding of what a universal RF remote does. In most every case a universal RF remote cannot control an RF device other than its RF to IR base station/extender.

"RF allows you to remove the line-of-sight requirement between the remote and the device. RF universal remotes transmit an RF signal that is picked up by an RF base. The RF base (referred to as an RF extender or RF/IR blaster) then sends the correct signal to the destination device. The signal can be sent using various methods depending on the RF extender’s capabilities, but it typically sends IR. The IR out can be routed through an IR flasher, IR stick-on emitters, mini-IR flashers/blasters, or even RS-232.

Note that a universal RF remote is not designed to learn or control other RF devices such as ceiling fans, garage door openers, gas logs, or any other device that has no IR input. In most cases you can assume that if you have an RF device then it either needs to be switched to an IR mode (such as a DirecTV DVR) or you will not be able to control it with anything except for the OEM remote. Think about this when buying that motorized projector screen and curtains!"

http://www.avsforum.com/t/1318737/remote-control-faq-buyers-guide-and-programming-thread#user_rf

post #8 of 13 Old 02-25-2013, 03:58 PM

That is exactly what I did. I thought that I would be able to program a code to control my projector screen and that is not the case so now I have 4 remotes. Htpc, screen, projector, receiver. It's crazy, and on top of that after I turn them all on I have to go to the htpc and change the desktop to extended. I would die to be able to do all this with the push of a button.
post #9 of 13 Old 02-25-2013, 06:34 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by bryansj View Post

IR is outdated. IP control works just fine.

Except there is billions of dollars in gear in use today that doesn't have any sort of IP control. My 50" Plasma isn't getting updated until it falls off the wall. My receiver isn't getting updated until it falls off the shelf. A vast majority of the western world still and will continue to us IR. Most people don't even know there are apps to control smart TVs. I have a smart TV and I don't bother with IP control. Too cumbersome.
'
post #10 of 13 Old 02-25-2013, 07:13 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jprovence View Post

Except there is billions of dollars in gear in use today that doesn't have any sort of IP control. My 50" Plasma isn't getting updated until it falls off the wall. My receiver isn't getting updated until it falls off the shelf. A vast majority of the western world still and will continue to us IR. Most people don't even know there are apps to control smart TVs. I have a smart TV and I don't bother with IP control. Too cumbersome.
'

That was just a shot at the OP that went through two threads that week on how a mouse was much better than a remote for HTPC control.

post #11 of 13 Old 02-25-2013, 07:30 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by hanly2 View Post

That is exactly what I did. I thought that I would be able to program a code to control my projector screen and that is not the case so now I have 4 remotes. Htpc, screen, projector, receiver. It's crazy, and on top of that after I turn them all on I have to go to the htpc and change the desktop to extended. I would die to be able to do all this with the push of a button.

For the most part all you need to do is get a simple USB IR receiver for your HTPC. Then you can control your HTPC, projector, and receiver using a RF universal remote. If your screen doesn't have any sort of IR input then you are probably out of luck with that, you would need to post some additional info to find out if there are other options than RF.

post #12 of 13 Old 02-27-2013, 02:38 PM

I would also need to get one of those IR repeater right? How long of a distance do they sell the wires? My htpc is 26' away from my receiver, same for the projector. I would think that if I were to go with a RF remote that I would only have to run a wire to the projector and receiver, I would not have to run a wire for the IR receiver so that would help a lot.
post #13 of 13 Old 02-27-2013, 11:09 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Unless you live alone, I don't think it is a good idea to use a phone as a remote. In a pinch, yes. Long run, no. Someone is going to need to watch TV while you are out, with your phone.
Reply Home Theater Computers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page