Plex question - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 5 Old 02-19-2013, 09:10 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 23
I was wondering if plex buffers media off of your NAS to your HTPC, or is there no advantage to using it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old 02-20-2013, 05:34 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 58
I think each client has a small buffer. I'm not sure exactly what you're asking though. Are you streaming over your local network? You shouldn't really need to worry about the buffer.
post #3 of 5 Old 02-20-2013, 07:11 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by lockdown571 View Post

I think each client has a small buffer. I'm not sure exactly what you're asking though. Are you streaming over your local network? You shouldn't really need to worry about the buffer.

Yeah, I'm trying to stream recorded HD from my main HTPC to a secondary HTPC over wireless N 300. Sometimes it plays smoothly and sometimes it is stutters constantly. I haven't been using any streaming software at all, just windows networking treating the main htpc as a NAS.

Probably I should stop being cheap and buy 3 powerline adapters.
post #4 of 5 Old 02-20-2013, 08:06 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 58
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffkro View Post

Probably I should stop being cheap and buy 3 powerline adapters.

Probably the best idea biggrin.gif

You could also try transcoding the videos to a lower quality using Plex. You would need a fairly powerful CPU to do that though, and fast forward and reverse doesn't work very well while transcoding.
post #5 of 5 Old 02-21-2013, 07:17 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 29
The client you're playing on determines the buffering. If you're on a PC, you can set the buffer from 3 seconds to 20 (I think).

As for your issue, it's try you could be having issues with radio interference. But the issue could be on the PC where recording is located to anywhere in between. If you're using Media Center, it tends to be a more more nick picky about your network setup. I have found I get better performance by using workgroups and setting up my DVR libraries through it. You can use the shared drive, but MC doesn't play as nice; plus, you can't delete content except on the host machine that recorded it. Also, don't forget to check for driver updates for your NICs or firmware updates on your router.

Although Plex can play WTV files, it's not the best solution. FF or RW don't work well. Skip F or R works ok on the PC client. And the mobile and Roku, I find it Plex craps out. So, you'll have to endure commercials. I have used it here on there like when I'm on vacation away from home to catch up on TV shows or something.
Reply Home Theater Computers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page