TROUBLE: HTPC film stutter, cannot find cause - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

Old 02-20-2013, 11:35 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Hey guys,

So little background of what system i have here... I have a desktop pc setup, that i also run hdmi to my denon receiver and then to my projector ( Sony HW50ES )
i7 OCed to 4500mhz
8gig ram
GTX 670
SSD

I have a gaming rig that can more than handle video playback. When i play things on my LCD monitor, everything is fine. When i try to play anything on my 2nd monitor ( the projector) ( through the Denon or direct HDMI to projector ) the film stutters every 10 - 15 sec for breif moment then catchs up... friends cannot even notice it but i definitely do.

I am curious if this is a driver problem, codec problem, or a setting on my projector? oddly enough if i set film mode from auto 1 to auto 2, it fixes most of this, but still basiucally makes it not as bad, the issue is still there.

odd thing is, it ONLY seems to happen now when in the HTPC setup and on SOME DVR content ( not all ) from my fios STB

Fios cable live = fine
PS3 video playback = fine
HTPC playback = NOT FINE

if anyone has seen this issue or has any other suggestions PLEASE let me know becuase this is driving me nuts. I just bought all new high speed HDMI cables just incase and already hooked them up.
I also tried DVI > HDMI from the video card, same issue. I have the monitor set to 60hz on the PC side, i have tried manually changing that to 59, 24, 23hz, nothing fixes it.

I have tried the following media players all with the same result:
Windows Media player
VLC
TMT5
Powerdvd 11

again, ANY ideas at this point are welcome and questions....drives me nuts smile.gif
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-20-2013, 12:51 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked: 22
Try only 1 monitor that is your projector. don't do dual monitors. that could be the issue.
Old 02-20-2013, 01:43 PM - Thread Starter

tried just now as only monitor, and tried setting to 23 and 24hz... no change.
Old 02-20-2013, 02:04 PM - Thread Starter

so still having the same problem

I ran the tearing test and watched frame rate.. as the red line goes across the screen, it is definitely tearing every 10-13 sec. and i noticed when it does tear, the framerate says 24FPS but the rest of the time it switches between 23.9 and 24 rapidly

if there was a way to keep it form hitting 24 we would be good but i have no idea why it is doing this or how to correct it.
Old 02-20-2013, 02:15 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Try changing your projector settings. For me, when I had "Film Mode" (Under "Expert Settings" on my HW30) on Auto 1 or Auto 2 I would get weird stutters. Turning it to Off solved my issues.
Old 02-20-2013, 03:33 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by NNate View Post

Try changing your projector settings. For me, when I had "Film Mode" (Under "Expert Settings" on my HW30) on Auto 1 or Auto 2 I would get weird stutters. Turning it to Off solved my issues.

it solved that with a weird issue with watching something on DVR, but only makes it slightly better when doing HTPC, not 100% fixed =\

tried that earlier.. boo

EDIT: turning it off ALMOST FULLY eliminates it but if you look ahrd enough you can still see it sometimes... if i have to live with it like this i certainly can. Just wish i knew what was goin on
Old 02-20-2013, 06:02 PM

Liked: 10
I had the same issue. There is probably a buffer file on the ssd that is getting hammered too much. SSDs
are great but the indidividual sectors only be written to so many times before they start to stutter. Once I found this
and moved the buffer to a hard drive it was fine.

To prove if the problem is ssd related you could try copying the entire ssd to a hard disk temporarily and
just run off the hard disk for a while.

Also you may want to see how your ssd is set up so that TRIM is running properly.
Old 02-20-2013, 06:47 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dual_Everything View Post

I had the same issue. There is probably a buffer file on the ssd that is getting hammered too much. SSDs
are great but the indidividual sectors only be written to so many times before they start to stutter. Once I found this
and moved the buffer to a hard drive it was fine.

To prove if the problem is ssd related you could try copying the entire ssd to a hard disk temporarily and
just run off the hard disk for a while.

Also you may want to see how your ssd is set up so that TRIM is running properly.

i tried running the same file off an SSD and 2 other HDD, same result.

EDIT: so i tried XBMC and once i figured out how to work it, seems the video plays normally... from what i can tell, the stutter was caused by an issue with 24 vs 60hz .... when i play normally from PC, projector stays at 60 hz which was causing issues ( didnt work if i manually set to 23 24 ) but when i use the correct options to match the screen to video, it forces it to 23.998 or whatever it is and works fine.

Thanks for the tip plsmaowner