My First HTPC Help - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 5 Old 02-20-2013, 08:16 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hello Everyone. Thank you in advance for all your help. I am starting my first HTPC and i've been reading a ton over the last few weeks but still need guidance. I am starting with a computer with the following Specs and will be getting an HDhomerun when one goes on sale of my PC build is ready. Which ever is first.

My PC I will be using is a Dell Optiplex 390 with the following Specs:

Intel 2nd Gen Core i5 2 i5-2400 / 3.1 GHz
8GB DDR-3 1333MHZ
500.0 GB 7200RPM HDD
240.0 Watt PSU
Windows 7 64bit

Things i will be adding:
Another HDD for DVR storage. What specs should i be using?
Blu-Ray drive. any specifics on this?

I want my setup to be the HTPC for the main entertainment center, whole house DVR, movie streamer (netflix etc...), and blu ray player.

Please guide me along the way for any hardware changes i need to make. different graphics card? anything i need to watchout for?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old 02-20-2013, 09:23 PM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Windows 8 is a must for Netflix as the modern netflix app supports 1080p and 5.1 where the silverlight plugin is limited to 720p and 2chan.(silverlight is also used in media center)

Using a computer to watch blu-rays is often way more expensive then comparable set top players. Software players get outdated too quick requiring you to pay again to watch the latest titles.(about 3yrs) I only recommend getting a blu-ray player if you plan on ripping your collection to hdd. Any drive will do but I prefer the looks of samsung with the mirror finish on drive tray cover.

post #3 of 5 Old 02-21-2013, 06:10 AM - Thread Starter

I have Copys of Windows 8 as well and dont mind going the Windows 8 route. I was reading about different limitations with different WMC extenders with Win 8 vs Win 7 and that's why i was choosing Win 7. But with that added info about Netflix it looks like Win 8 is a must for netflix. I have not yet installed the OS so i have plenty of time. I dont mind the paying attention to software updates with changes in security and support for newer blu rays. The players appear to have gotten down to a manageable price these days and i dont mind springing for one. Anyone have any comments for me about the hardware? i do have a 7.1 setup with a Denon receiver and want to make sure audio and video will work as i desire it to. The Tower has a built in HDMI port that i hope to use.
post #4 of 5 Old 02-21-2013, 07:29 AM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 20
My own htpc is pretty similar 2nd gen I3 and using the intel igpu. Only Real difference is half the cpu cores + ram and is DIY.

Your system has more then enough power for basic htpc usage and even some light video encoding if you choose to rip your blu-rays.

post #5 of 5 Old 02-21-2013, 04:40 PM - Thread Starter

Great Thanks. I guess i'll stick with this for now and start here. Blu ray player and large HDD for DVR shopping time. now if only the HDhomerun would go on sale somewhere i could get movin.
Reply Home Theater Computers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page