post #121 of 129 Old 03-18-2014, 07:52 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 101
Quote:
Originally Posted by renethx View Post

"Smooth motion frame rate conversion" repeats and blends frames in accordance with "whatever" refresh rate is. The underlying algorithm is due to madshi. Generally the bigger the difference between the refresh rate and the frame rate is, the cleaner the image is. So, for example, 24fps video playback in a 25Hz display with "smooth motion frame rate conversion" is smooth but blurred. 24fps video playback in a 60Hz display is smooth and clean.

Hmmm but if one has a "good" 24p set than one wouldn't benefit from this correct?

No subwoofer I've heard has been able to produce the bass I've experienced in the Corps!

Must..stop...buying...every bluray release...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #122 of 129 Old 03-18-2014, 08:14 PM
AVS Club Gold

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 131 Post(s)
Liked: 346
If your graphics card supports precise 23.976Hz, you shouldn't bother with this.
post #123 of 129 Old 04-07-2014, 11:26 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10

Hi,

Found out that 23Hz capability of tv might not be enough for "best" performance. Even though my Panasonic 65VT30 supports it, I got better results with tv set to 59HZ with Smooth Motion ON. Other settings were as in MINDBOMBS mpc-ht advanced setup guide (with ReClock).

madshi, you rock!

Btw, great thread, guys, and thanks to Steelman1991 for recommending the 23Hz/59Hz Smooth Motion ON/OFF test.

Best regards,

Pasi Niskanen, Helsinki, Finland

post #124 of 129 Old 04-08-2014, 02:33 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 107
Some TVs claim 23Hz/24Hz compatibility, but in fact they just convert to 60Hz internally - in which case its indeed better to use Smooth Motion.
post #125 of 129 Old 04-08-2014, 02:45 AM

TV is Panny's flagship from 2011 (if I remember correctly), and it really does support real 23/24p.

I tried 23p (without Smooth Motion) and turned TV's Smooth Cinema (23p/24p@93Hz) ON, and got even better result with the rolling test image (SmoothMotion23.ytp), no judder at all, but the downside was heavy pixelation of the high contrast black-white bars. Will keep this setting for a few weeks and see whether the pixelation issue persists with real life content.

A quick test with Hobbit:DoS found a scene with panning and high contrast: Thorin's hair against a grey/white sky, and some pixelation was indeed visible. Then again, that might be the only scene with pixelation in a 3hr movie. I could live with it. I dislike judder more... Obviously the picture seems less "movie-like" (if you know what I mean), but I think I rather go with the "realistic" look without judder...

post #126 of 129 Old 04-08-2014, 03:25 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked: 72
Quote:
Originally Posted by pasiniskanen View Post

TV is Panny's flagship from 2011 (if I remember correctly), and it really does support real 23/24p.

I tried 23p (without Smooth Motion) and turned TV's Smooth Cinema (23p/24p@93Hz) ON, and got even better result with the rolling test image (SmoothMotion23.ytp), no judder at all, but the downside was heavy pixelation of the high contrast black-white bars. Will keep this setting for a few weeks and see whether the pixelation issue persists with real life content.

A quick test with Hobbit:DoS found a scene with panning and high contrast: Thorin's hair against a grey/white sky, and some pixelation was indeed visible. Then again, that might be the only scene with pixelation in a 3hr movie. I could live with it. I dislike judder more... Obviously the picture seems less "movie-like" (if you know what I mean), but I think I rather go with the "realistic" look without judder...

Same telly - what you will find is that the trade-off (using Pana's Smooth Cinema) will be the introduction of artifacts throughout playback (pixelation and 'oily/ghosty' images just some that will appear). Its not an effect I like to watch - just too smooth and artificial for my liking, but its you who has to judge and watch the content, so each to their own.
pasiniskanen likes this.
post #127 of 129 Old 04-08-2014, 07:09 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 58
Quote:

Hi,

Found out that 23Hz capability of tv might not be enough for "best" performance. Even though my Panasonic 65VT30 supports it, I got better results with tv set to 59HZ with Smooth Motion ON. Other settings were as in MINDBOMBS mpc-ht advanced setup guide (with ReClock).

madshi, you rock!

Btw, great thread, guys, and thanks to Steelman1991 for recommending the 23Hz/59Hz Smooth Motion ON/OFF test.

Best regards,

Pasi Niskanen, Helsinki, Finland

The 96 Hz mode doesn't work well on those TV's, and they should be set to 60 Hz. The TV's 3:2 pulldown however is basically perfect. I'm guessing that sending 23.976 to the TV (in 60 Hz mode) vs. using Smooth Motion would produce virtually the same results.
post #128 of 129 Old 04-08-2014, 12:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by steelman1991 View Post

Same telly - what you will find is that the trade-off (using Pana's Smooth Cinema) will be the introduction of artifacts throughout playback (pixelation and 'oily/ghosty' images just some that will appear). Its not an effect I like to watch - just too smooth and artificial for my liking, but its you who has to judge and watch the content, so each to their own.

Just watched Wolf of Wall Street. After five minutes I decided to turn off Pana's Smooth Cinema, just didn't seem right. I went back to using madVR's Smooth Motion ON (with ReClock) with telly set to 59Hz. Seems that's the best setting I've found so far. How about you?

post #129 of 129 Old 04-08-2014, 01:48 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked: 72
Quote:

Just watched Wolf of Wall Street. After five minutes I decided to turn off Pana's Smooth Cinema, just didn't seem right. I went back to using madVR's Smooth Motion ON (with ReClock) with telly set to 59Hz. Seems that's the best setting I've found so far. How about you?

Yeah when I use madVR (which frankly isn't an awful lot), that's the set-up I use, though I agree with Lockdown - Panasonic really nailed the 3:2 pulldown on this set and there is little if anything to choose between them. What I have found is to get a setting and stick with it, too much tinkering is likely to drive you bananas - like me.
lockdown571 likes this.
Reply Home Theater Computers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page