Need Help With Windows Media Center not finding any channels with my TV tuner card - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 8 Old 02-21-2013, 02:19 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
My PC has 3.8 Quad Core processor and 16 gigs of ram.

I have Time Warner Cable. I use to have a normal cable box from them, and used my PC as a DVR with the TV tuner card, it worked great. The guide even came up on my PC in WMC also. But I moved, and gave up the cable box. I thought I would still be able to have cable going through my pc, but its only finding 9 channels, a few of them are dead, and 2 are in spanish. When I plug the cable wire directly to my TV, the cable works just fine. Any help would be great, thank you. (I would just watch TV with the cable wire plugged directly into the TV, but I want to use my PC as a DVR and use WMC's guide.)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old 02-21-2013, 04:01 AM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Did you re-scan the tuner in WMC? Your local cable co. may only supply a few clear QAM channels. More and more CC are encrypting all the channels to prevent theft. Do you have a "cable card tuner"?

Welcome to the forum... enjoy smile.gif
post #3 of 8 Old 02-21-2013, 09:18 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 16
You said you moved, so many things could have happened as not all areas of TWC are the same. In some cases even in the same town they have different policies/equipment as they occasionally buy up smaller companies. So the first thing you have to do is figure out what channels you are supposed to get and how they are delivered. Some areas have more clear qam than others, some areas have dropped nearly all the analog. The trend for both comcast and TWC is to try and get rid of analog and have everything encrypted (including locals) which will require a cable box (regular stb or dta) or a cablecard tuner.

What type of tuner do you currently have? Does it tune analog, digital- ATSC (over the air) and/or clear qam (cable) or both. Some have two inputs, one for digital and one for analog, so it may be you plugged the coax to the "wrong" connector. What tier are you subscribed to and what type of dwelling is it? I had one high rise apartment that the filters would be put on some outlets (adjoining walls of neighbor as filters were on the roof) and not on others so quite often half the outlets would have the lowest level of service and took several complaints to get service on all outlets of the apartment.
post #4 of 8 Old 02-21-2013, 09:20 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 77 Post(s)
Liked: 68
CPU and amount of RAM mean nothing here.

What kind of tuner is it?

How did you have it hooked up to the cable box before? Was it via coax out of the box and then coax into the TV tuner card?

I am going under assumption that your TV tuner is an analog tuner, and your cable provider only has a handful of analog channels. Yout TV most likely has a digital tuner, and that is why you are getting more channels on it.

6 TV's in the house on FiOS and we only pay $4.99/month to connect them all!!! Power to the CableCard and WMC7!!!
post #5 of 8 Old 02-25-2013, 01:03 AM - Thread Starter

I didn't realize the TV tuner card I have needs a cable box from the cable company in order to work. (a friend gave me this card). If I buy a "cable tuner card" that people have mentioned, would I still need a cable box? If not, could you all post some recommendations from newegg? Thanks!
post #6 of 8 Old 02-25-2013, 05:05 AM

Most cable companies require you to rent their own cards and pair it to their system so you can't just buy a card and "steal" their service. Very few allow you to buy your own personal card and use it because they have no way of tracking what service tier you're using and how to bill you.
post #7 of 8 Old 02-25-2013, 06:32 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 110 Post(s)
Liked: 260
Quote:
Originally Posted by gaidin43 View Post

Most cable companies require you to rent their own cards and pair it to their system so you can't just buy a card and "steal" their service. Very few allow you to buy your own personal card and use it because they have no way of tracking what service tier you're using and how to bill you.

I think you may be confusing tuners with cablecard. They're two separate things. Cablecard is only required to tune encrypted channels. With a digital tuner, you should be able to tune any unencrypted channel you subscribe to without a cablecard.

blueiedgod is most likely right that the tuner card in question is analog only, and is simply incapable of tuning any digital channels.

Looky here!
post #8 of 8 Old 02-25-2013, 06:33 AM

Yup thought I saw cable card not tuner card sorry
Reply Home Theater Computers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page