Handbrake re-encode blu-ray keep audio and quality - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 6 Old 02-23-2013, 05:40 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 11
I would like to rip my blu-ray's for my HTPC (Mythtv). On the ones where the absolute highest quality is not of concern what would be the best settings to use? I would like the output to end up somewhere between 8-9 gigs depending on the movie size. Current workflow is to use MakeMKV and strip the main movie,audio and subtitles out into a single mkv file. I have used Handbrake in the past for IOS devices. These rips do not need to be compatible with iOS. I will re-encode if I have to.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old 02-23-2013, 12:09 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 29
Well, the absolute highest quality settings are rip and re-mux where you don't re-encode at all, but your rips (I use MKV) will be big; 15-30GB depending on the movie. To get that down to <10GB, your going to have to experiment. If your happy with re-encoding to 720P, that will keep the file size much lower, but otherwise if you want to keep the rips as 1080P, I tend to leave all the Handbrake settings at the default, and just tweak the RF setting on the Video tab. The default (20) generally does a good job, but reducing that (10-15) will generally increase the quality (and filesize). I'd try 15 first, and see where that get's you. Just remember, it can take 2-3 hours per movie to re-encode, even with a quad core.
post #3 of 6 Old 02-24-2013, 08:05 AM - Thread Starter

I will give that a try. Anything to bring the file size down on the movies with less motion and ones not watched as often. I will give it a shot. Thanks for the advice.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #4 of 6 Old 02-24-2013, 08:18 AM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Some data:

I encode Blurays with Handbrake using the High Profile and RF =22. That yields a file size between 3 GB (Brave) and 8 GB (Lord of the Rings: Return of the King) for 1080p. Sometimes I up the RF to 24 to keep the file size down on movies like Avatar. To hit ~10GB I would start with RF=20 on the High Profile.
post #5 of 6 Old 02-24-2013, 08:20 AM - Thread Starter

What are you typically viewing them on? My hometheater room has a 100" screen so do need to keep some quality. So you usually start with the high profile template selected?

post #6 of 6 Old 02-24-2013, 03:09 PM - Thread Starter

Just finished one, it was a Pixar movie. Went from 20 gigs to like 6 using "high Profile" with an RF of 15. Does that seem about right? I thought the file would have been bigger.

Reply Home Theater Computers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page