Flexraid questions - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 5 Old 02-23-2013, 04:14 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 11
I've tried searching for the past couple of hours and couldn't come up with clear answers to my questions so I figured I would ask here. I'm leaning on the fence between Flexraid and Storage Spaces, and I have a few Flexraid questions. I've been using Raid-5 for years so I'm very familliar with that, but I'm out of the loop when it comes to pooling and how it works with parity. Hopefully someone can help.

1) If I have 3 DRU drives that are and 1PPU drive all at 2TB, and 1 of my DRU fails, will I be able to access all of my data in a degraded mode similar to Raid 5? I figure its either that, or the data on that drive won't be accessible until I perform a repair with a new drive.

2) If I start a pool in cruise control, can I switch that pool to expert mode later in the future without a giant hassle, or will it always be stuck in cruise control?

3) If I have 3 2TB DRU and 1 2TB PPU I know I can loose 1 drive. If I change the PPU to a single 4TB drive, could I recover 2 of the 2TB DRU?

Thank you

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old 02-23-2013, 05:18 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 147 Post(s)
Liked: 776
I will try to help you
Quote:
1) If I have 3 DRU drives that are and 1PPU drive all at 2TB, and 1 of my DRU fails, will I be able to access all of my data in a degraded mode similar to Raid 5? I figure its either that, or the data on that drive won't be accessible until I perform a repair with a new drive.

You would rebuild your failed drive and the new drive would contain what the failed drive did. It would be created from parity.
Quote:
2) If I start a pool in cruise control, can I switch that pool to expert mode later in the future without a giant hassle, or will it always be stuck in cruise control?
Simple as pie. It's just clicking. Worst case is you'll need to run a parity update but no data loss risk would exist.
Quote:
3) If I have 3 2TB DRU and 1 2TB PPU I know I can loose 1 drive. If I change the PPU to a single 4TB drive, could I recover 2 of the 2TB DRU?
No. Not if you leave it as a single drive.

You'd be better off formatting it as two data drives and using two other drives as double parity.

-

"Too much is almost enough. Anything in life worth doing is worth overdoing. Moderation is for cowards."
post #3 of 5 Old 02-23-2013, 07:29 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 39
Quote:
Originally Posted by chap View Post

I've tried searching for the past couple of hours and couldn't come up with clear answers to my questions so I figured I would ask here. I'm leaning on the fence between Flexraid and Storage Spaces, and I have a few Flexraid questions. I've been using Raid-5 for years so I'm very familliar with that, but I'm out of the loop when it comes to pooling and how it works with parity. Hopefully someone can help.

Thank you

1) You can't access the data just on that drive until you restore it with a new drive.

2) You can easily switch over to expert mode without losing any data.

3) No, it doesn't work that way. The number of parity drives is equal to the number of data drives you can lose without losing any data.
post #4 of 5 Old 02-24-2013, 08:24 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Thanks for answering the questions. I initially installed Storage Spaces today to try it out, and I was unimpressed by the write speed as I knew I probably would be, but I wanted to try it anyway. I was averaging around 20MB's with my current SATA II drives. These speeds were still better or on par with the crappy performance of the Thecus N4100Pro that I was replacing.

I deleted my Storage Spaces pool and installed Flexraid and after a lot of trial and error I got it working. Now I'm transferring at around 100MB's and I'm happy with it so far. I definitely need to play around with it some more and see how things work out.

I will say as a potential customer I think Flexraid is doing themselves a disservice by not having a simple tutorial video out on there product. I was originally going to go with FreeNas and changed my mind because I wanted a windows HTPC and a NAS in one. I tried Storage Spaces first because there are a lot of videos showing how easy it is to setup and use. Flexraid really should do something similar. They only reason I really looked into Flexraid more was because of the discussion here on AVS which I'm a long time member of.

post #5 of 5 Old 02-24-2013, 08:51 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Never mind, already answered. rolleyes.gif
Reply Home Theater Computers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page