Internet streaming TV now that WMC is dead - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 22 Old 02-23-2013, 06:20 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I built an HTPC about a year ago that is a solution for me for blu ray, NAS, and media center viewer on my tv.

For the past couple of months I've just been going into the web browser and finding my shows through amazon prime or the perspective tv channel (ie www.nbc.com) but am looking for a tuner free option for the system. I have Netflix and amazon prime, and have no use for Hulu plus.

Are their any true Internet streaming live TV media center apps with guide data available? The old WMC guide was ok but required a tuner.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 22 Old 02-23-2013, 08:42 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 23
Intel is developing one, who knows the release date.
post #3 of 22 Old 02-23-2013, 08:57 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 86 Post(s)
Liked: 128
Quote:
Are their any true Internet streaming live TV media center apps with guide data available?
Well...Internet streaming is never "live" (for the most part, excluding live webcasts), it is always on demand. As far as "apps" go, you can go Apple and have "apps", or at present, you can go XBMC on Windows/Linux and it'll give you almost what you're looking for.

Guide data - What guide data?? With streaming, there is no schedule, so how can there be a guide?
post #4 of 22 Old 02-23-2013, 09:04 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 86 Post(s)
Liked: 128
btw, who said WMC is dead??
post #5 of 22 Old 02-23-2013, 09:16 PM

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Windows Media Center is quite alive and well on my network. Reports of it's death have been greatly exaggerated.
post #6 of 22 Old 02-24-2013, 07:09 AM - Thread Starter

I think I might have confused the subject sorry.

1.) I am looking for a front end that has both guide data and live TV without using a tuner (if I can do this). If not I'm thinking I might wait for the TiVo mini to use as an extender for my TiVo premier in my living room. I believe that will have both guide data and live TV with only having to use one mcard.

2.) I am also looking for a replacement the Internet TV plugin the WMC used to have. This is more what I was eating at now that WMC is dead since Microsoft is starting to push their Xbox as the HTPC media solution. It is getting harder and harder to set up WMC as a solo media front without having to go to browser options to watch shows.

Does that clarify what I was asking?
post #7 of 22 Old 02-24-2013, 08:03 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Check out nimble TV. Is in beta now. I've been doing testing on it. The quality is very good, though not as good a tuner
post #8 of 22 Old 02-24-2013, 08:58 AM

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
I continue to dispute the statement that Windows Media Center is dead. I will also dispute the statement that it's hard to set up.. if you can follow simple on-screen instructions, you can set up Windows Media Center with little problem at all. I did it with a disbelieving Verizon tech watching me. He asked me questions about how I found out about WMC and the Ceton InfiniTV card I'm using. The only possible problem I see is if Microsoft discontinues the electronic program guide, but if they do, I'm sure they'll hand it off to some third party, and I'll just subscribe to it. For DVR duty, you'd be hard pressed to find a simpler, more efficient front end anywhere.

For internet-only TV, I think secondrun.tv is still out there (http://www.secondrun.tv/). Seems like that would fit your requirements.
post #9 of 22 Old 02-24-2013, 02:15 PM - Thread Starter

I know how to use WMC and have it set up. I am just looking for options that exist WITHOUT a tuner, if one exists.

I use it as the front end for media browser, amazon instant video( even though its not HD yet), and bluray player. Since the deletion of Internet TV that came with it stock I've been looking at new solutions.
post #10 of 22 Old 02-24-2013, 08:03 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajkrishock View Post

Windows Media Center is quite alive and well on my network. Reports of it's death have been greatly exaggerated.

My understanding is that MS is not going to put any more resources into it, so its not going to die but rather fade away.
post #11 of 22 Old 02-24-2013, 09:32 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 204 Post(s)
Liked: 192
Maybe. Certainly M$ didn't put any development into WMC 8, which is virtually identical to WMC 7. I don't think they've explicitly stated that WMC is at EOL, though. Probably depends on how they perceive the market.

But of course it doesn't hurt to be prepared in case they do drop WMC.
post #12 of 22 Old 02-25-2013, 05:37 AM - Thread Starter

This is very unfortunate that MS No longer wants to support the HTPC platform mainly because they are toting Xbox as the media home solution. With more roku's, apple tv's, and TiVo boxes The commercial industry is trying to get their own product as the replacement. So now you only need to buy their product and their software. It's a model that is becoming more and more prevalent across the electronics industry. Where brand-name is something you have to choose between the lesser of two evils. You get some of the options but not all on what you want. HTPC's are still the best most customizable option out there but the route you can go with these are becoming more and more limited in the multimedia digital age where proprietary software rights, copyright protection, and DRM are becoming single use and only accessible on single systems not across the spectrum.

Big-time media companies and cable providers have become smart about the whole HTPC and cutting the cord option. There are many shows that you can only watch online if you have a major brand-name cable company service provider to login to view them. The Olympics were one such thing that I've noticed recently. Enforcement of DRM and other copyrights are becoming easier for law enforcement to track and persecute mainly because of the digital footprint that is left when somebody uses such means to circumvent these projections.

It's becoming the chicken or the egg predicament as consumers we want to be able to consume media however and whenever we want. As a corporation or a company they want you to pay for every use and/or pay them so they make money on the use of the media they produce. Ie Apple TV and iOS product lines if not jail broken you can only consume things approved by them or sold by them (with some exceptions I know)

Like everyone else I am looking for a media solution that works across the board for me. Something that I can play DVDs, Blu-rays, MP3s, video formats,Internet TV, live cable TV, and OTA feeds. Obviously there is no pre box hardware that is a acceptable solution for this problem. And now with windows media center no longer being supported and improved by Microsoft the one major proprietary software that supported this solution is starting to die out due to pressure and concerns that there are more profitable business models out there.

In the end the consumer is the one who suffers. And the corporations are going to suffer because people are going to try to find ways to circumvent the system. I have no problem paying a reasonable price for my digital media But not at the prices the corporations are asking and Mandatory requirements to play it on their hardware.

I can only hope that the developer community continues to produce excellent software solutions such as XMBC and other for HTPC platform
post #13 of 22 Old 02-25-2013, 11:47 AM
AVS Special Member

Yup, I think we are going to have to start looking at linux distro's with myth TV. Hopefully we will be able to use linux to pick up the slack, I'm having issues with my win7 license so I'm already thinking about making the jump. My only issue is I don't think my avermedia duet is supported.
Quote:
in the multimedia digital age where proprietary software rights, copyright protection, and DRM are becoming single use and only accessible on single systems not across the spectrum

Yup, it does seem like big media treats the consumer as the adversary. Probably we will get forced into apple tv's and roku's but luckily the hacker community will jailbrake them and return functionality. Another side effect of not allowing people to easily pay for and get the content they want on the platform they want is more piracy of course.

By the way DRM was the ENTIRE reason I got into the HTPC market and cut the cord to begin with. I needed to be able to record tv shows on a DVR and then transfer them to a portable drive so I could take them on the road. The cable companies made this impossible so I fired the cable company and stuck an antenna on the roof.

PS - I bought two supposedly legit copies of win7 from online retailers and now geniune advantage is saying they are not legit, another DRM problem. I'm going to try and avoid MS products whenever possible for now on. I think the only place I 100% require windows is for my gaming machines. I'm pretty much already 100% on google services so linux with chrome browser pretty much does everything I need for general computing.
post #14 of 22 Old 02-25-2013, 03:20 PM - Thread Starter

I also got into HTPC mainly because I wanted more availability of Internet feeds on my TV and Portability to different media consumption devices as needed.

But back to my original question other than second run TV are there any other good replacements for the Internet TV that used to come stock with Windows media player?
post #15 of 22 Old 02-26-2013, 01:26 PM

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffkro View Post

My understanding is that MS is not going to put any more resources into it, so its not going to die but rather fade away.

Out of curiosity, where did this understanding come from?
post #16 of 22 Old 02-26-2013, 02:33 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 123 Post(s)
Liked: 190
This sort of went off topic but can't you just use, say, a browser to stream content from the internet on your (HT)PC?

That said, another option could be PlayOn or PlayLater.

post #17 of 22 Old 02-26-2013, 03:02 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 500 Post(s)
Liked: 411
Quote:
Originally Posted by gaidin43 View Post

I also got into HTPC mainly because I wanted more availability of Internet feeds on my TV and Portability to different media consumption devices as needed.

But back to my original question other than second run TV are there any other good replacements for the Internet TV that used to come stock with Windows media player?
FWIW, I was pretty disappointed with secondrun. For many channels it essentially just opens a web page within media center. Using a browser, as Sammy2 said, instead of media center works a lot better for me. I use bookmarks to organize things.

I've tried many sites that attempt to aggregate a lot of content, but so far all of them stink. TunerFreeMCE looks promising, but I haven't tried it yet.

If there is a better solution, I'd like to know it too.
post #18 of 22 Old 02-26-2013, 03:24 PM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 16
I ended up replacing Internet TV using re-launch and XBMC. I took the Quartz skin, stripped it down to just the Addons and Settings and loaded the Bluecop repository and Navi-x, added a few sources not in Bluecop and it's good to go.
post #19 of 22 Old 02-26-2013, 06:32 PM - Thread Starter

Second run is not worth the $3.99 I spent on it. Another one of those wasted money experiments.
post #20 of 22 Old 02-27-2013, 12:15 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 17

There isn't much information on this, but, Sony is planning on joining the ranks of Comcast, DirecTV, Dish Network, ATT Uverse as the first ever "virtual MSO" due later this year.  This means they intend to stream all popular basic and premium network live television over Internet.

I'm not going to assume they will support PC's; but, I wouldn't rule it out either.  If they do support PC's, it would be the first online service worth actually "cutting the cord" for me.

Can your HTPC Media Center / DVR Do this??

SageTV: Unrestricted full-quality 12 tuner HD Premium Cable recording, including "On Demand" in HD + OTA ATSC + DVB-S2 + Blu-ray/HD-DVD serving 5 clients.
post #21 of 22 Old 02-27-2013, 01:22 PM

@ jeffkro......If you're serious, take a look at Zorin 6. I'm going to give it a shot on my newest build & I've never used
anything but Windows.

DDK
post #22 of 22 Old 02-28-2013, 09:12 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 500 Post(s)
Liked: 411
Quote:
Originally Posted by gaidin43 View Post

Second run is not worth the $3.99 I spent on it. Another one of those wasted money experiments.
TunerFreeMCE isn't worth the money either (and it was free). Nice effort by the author, but not quite there yet. I've come to the conclusion that there is no good WMC solution. I think rcrach's XBMC solution is the way to go. I really like the idea of using Re-launch. That will allow me to at least launch Tor (for BBC) and Hulu from WMC. Thanks, rcrach.
Reply Home Theater Computers