Corrupted HDMI picture after several hours, restart fixes. Thoughts on cause? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 12 Old 02-24-2013, 02:58 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hi all,

Have tried to find answers on a few other forums, but figured it was time to come to the source.

I've got a Win8x64 HTPC (Core i5-2500k, ASRock Z67 Ext 4 Z Gen 3 MB, 8 GB RAM, ATI 6850 on Cat 13.1 drivers, OCZ Agility 3 SSD, WD Green drives) that's suddenly started producing the wonderfully corrupted image seen in the attached photo after a few hours of it not running through my processor (Marantz AV8801) to my TV (Samsung D8000 plasma).

A reboot resolves the image corruption immediately, and I'm yet to actually witness it happen (it's only ever become apparent after switching on processor/tv). Doesn't always happen either, but it's now happened 4 times in the past 5 days.

I've tried lots of googling around HDMI image corruption, etc. but can't seem to find anything that looks similar, or anything that's pointing me in the direction of a possible cause/solution.

I'm sort of suspecting the hardware here. Either the video card, the hdmi cable or even the processor (but have looked through the AV8801 owner's thread and didn't notice anything similar).

Anyone seen something like this? I'm going to try a new HDMI cable tonight, but if that doesn't fix it, I'm going out to purchase a new GPU. Hope someone's got a better (ie. no $$$) solution.

Thanks for your time in looking and/or helping!

mumble
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 Old 02-24-2013, 09:11 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 33
So this corruption does not happen if you go through your AVR, but only if you directly connect the HTPC to the TV? If so, that's odd.

If you unplug and then re-plug the HDMI cable, does the issue go away? Or will a reboot only resolve this problem?
post #3 of 12 Old 02-24-2013, 09:18 AM

Liked: 147
It could also be heat related. Try cleaning the heatsink and fan on your PC (as well as blow out your AVR) and see if that helps.
post #4 of 12 Old 02-24-2013, 02:59 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Puwaha View Post

So this corruption does not happen if you go through your AVR, but only if you directly connect the HTPC to the TV? If so, that's odd.

Sorry, mustn't have been clear. I'm not, at any point, swapping between the AVR and TV. My HDMI chain is HTPC>AVR>TV.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Puwaha View Post

If you unplug and then re-plug the HDMI cable, does the issue go away? Or will a reboot only resolve this problem?

Will give unplugging it a try. Good idea that.
post #5 of 12 Old 02-24-2013, 03:04 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by cybrsage View Post

It could also be heat related. Try cleaning the heatsink and fan on your PC (as well as blow out your AVR) and see if that helps.

Hmm... it is hot here at the moment. Will look at the dust levels. Good call.
post #6 of 12 Old 02-24-2013, 03:58 PM

I would also install a 3rd party program to monitor temps such as http://www.hwinfo.com/ there is also a gadget, but you need to program in the first link for it to work http://www.hwinfo.com/addons.html

post #7 of 12 Old 02-24-2013, 04:14 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 53
Quote:
Originally Posted by mumble View Post

Hi all,

Have tried to find answers on a few other forums, but figured it was time to come to the source.

I've got a Win8x64 HTPC (Core i5-2500k, ASRock Z67 Ext 4 Z Gen 3 MB, 8 GB RAM, ATI 6850 on Cat 13.1 drivers, OCZ Agility 3 SSD, WD Green drives) that's suddenly started producing the wonderfully corrupted image seen in the attached photo after a few hours of it not running through my processor (Marantz AV8801) to my TV (Samsung D8000 plasma).

A reboot resolves the image corruption immediately, and I'm yet to actually witness it happen (it's only ever become apparent after switching on processor/tv). Doesn't always happen either, but it's now happened 4 times in the past 5 days.

I've tried lots of googling around HDMI image corruption, etc. but can't seem to find anything that looks similar, or anything that's pointing me in the direction of a possible cause/solution.

I'm sort of suspecting the hardware here. Either the video card, the hdmi cable or even the processor (but have looked through the AV8801 owner's thread and didn't notice anything similar).

Anyone seen something like this? I'm going to try a new HDMI cable tonight, but if that doesn't fix it, I'm going out to purchase a new GPU. Hope someone's got a better (ie. no $$$) solution.

Thanks for your time in looking and/or helping!

mumble

Is the fan still working on your card? It could be overheating or it might be defective. How old is that ATI gpu? I'd swap it out. Does your motherboard have on board hdmi? Try running that out to your AVR.
post #8 of 12 Old 02-25-2013, 03:05 AM - Thread Starter

Well I doubt it's heat related. Just installed HWInfo and it's reporting 50C for the GPU and the fan is spinning at 45%. Thanks for the tip on that tool. Had installed others like it before, but never one so... complete.

It happened again tonight when I switched on the AVR and TV (HTPC is always on), and unplugging the HDMI cable and plugging it back in fixed it....

So... HDMI cable or a handshake issue between the HTPC and the AVR? Is that a fair call? Anything else anyone can think of?
post #9 of 12 Old 02-25-2013, 04:53 AM

The cable is the simplest thing to replace, I would do that.
Josea likes this.
post #10 of 12 Old 03-03-2013, 02:57 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by cybrsage View Post

The cable is the simplest thing to replace, I would do that.

Tried that over the weekend, unfortunately the problem is still occurring. frown.gif

Don't really want to buy a new video card, but it looks like I'm going to have to.
post #11 of 12 Old 03-03-2013, 04:43 PM

Yeah, leaning towards that. Before you do, does the board have a built in video card? Looking at ASRock's web page, it looks like it does. Check your BIOS to make sure it is setup to use the add in card first, then the built in graphics card (IGP). Most likely the BIOS will say PCIe first as its selection. Once you verified that, remove the Radeon and plug the video into the video output of the motherboard. You will probably need a converter for it if you are using HDMI...so if you have one, give that a try.

That will let you know if it is the vid card.
post #12 of 12 Old 03-03-2013, 04:49 PM
AVS Special Member

Location: Sacramento delta N. Cal. US Don't trust any air I can't see ☺
Quoted: 465 Post(s)
Liked: 349
try re installing or updating yourATI drivers oh don't forget to pull and re-seat your video card also just saying .

Hires Music formats ..............."Why does it sound like a CD ?" ............. "can we make it louder "?
"The wireless music box has no commercial value. Who would pay for a message sent to nobody in particular?"
- David Sarnoff's associates at RCA the 1920's -
Reply Home Theater Computers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page